New Merc Owner saying Hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jblackCLK

Car
320CLK 98 W208, MK1 Fiesta XR2 Fly (Convertible)
Hi All

I've just purchased my first Mercedes (well second I suppose, the wife has an A Class but its not really mine) and I thought I better find someplace where like minded folk hang out and can help me keep it running.
So here I am

I got a 1998 CLK 320 Elegance of fleebay for £2700 which sounds very cheep but it needs work.
Here is the link if your interested (assuming its still up)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=270195164239&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

I went to see it before buying and even though its rough round the edges I just fell for it. It appears to have every optional extra, except for parking sensors, it even has this electric blind thing for the rear screen. My previous car was a Rover 220 Coupe turbo so this new car is a lot different to what I'm used to.

Anyway just saying hello and if anyone knows of a good bodywork shop on the Wirral or Liverpool then let me know.

Cheers
Jonathan

Welcome to the forum.

I am a bit concerned about the following comment on the Ebay ad.

"There is no service history with this car so millage cannot be warranted"

As this is purported to be HIS stolen car then why hasn't he any service history, very strange. Also it is shown as a three door coupe? A bit ODD alround in my opinion.

Welcome, great car, and at that price could be a bargain, lets hope so.

Even if the milage was douuble its still a bargain.

Welcome to the forum,

looks a bargain, sure hope it is for you...

Yes the car does have a murky past (no pun intended). From speaking to two previous owners and research from the DVLA and RAC I got the following. It wasn't stolen from the current owner but from the first one who owned it from new until 2001 when its was hijack from him in London. It disappeared for four years (hence the total loss recorded against it) and was eventually recovered during 2006 by the police. The current owner (or more precisely the guy I just got it from) bought it from a salvage company in Dec 2006 and ran it until may 06 when it was involved in a accident (the damage on the side). He then parked it up until dec 07 when I bought it.

I have no way of finding out what happened to it in those four missing years as it was probably a clone who’s identity I'll never know, however the first owner confirmed it had less the 25K miles when it was stolen and it has 72K now which seems fair. The interior has very little wear which fits but it is very dirty (smokers car). The only thing which concerns me is it appears to have had a new wing and bumper during that time.

I know what your thinking but all documents checked out on the DVLA and HPI check, Chassis and engine numbers match and all optional extras match records at Mercedes.

Regarding Service history I'm not bothered at all. I've bought and sold many cars in my time and I came to realise that service history is only any good if you want to sell a car for top money. If your keeping it then Service history is not worth the paper its written on. Someone with experience can feel if a cars good or not by the way it behaves. That’s not to say that it may not be a lemon but I've bet on those instincts over a service book a few times before and so far they have not been wrong.

Good one, and good luck, I could never care lass about any service history for a car that I was keeping and have bought the cars for what they were worth to me

Welcome and enjoy your MB experience...:rock:

I wish you all theluck in the world with it. Looks likeit might be a bargain - do hope so.

Hi & welcome to the forum. Well done, looks like you've got an absolute bargain even considering it's past. True service history isn't worth much and it looks like the owner you bought it from gave it a hard life in terms of the 'wear & tear'.

A little TLC is all it needs to make it a clean car. CLK320 with AMG kit, & Bose very nice! I'm still surprised how cheap you got it! :bannana:

Hope you enjoy it...

Just seen the seller you bought it off is also selling this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-TOYOTA-Y...ryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like that has sustained a lot of damage, car I know which I'd rather have for approx £3k :)...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom