New Mercedes Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sledlife

Car
W204 C350 CDI
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, and am coming close to buying my first MB.

I am considering buying a W204 C350 CDI AMG Facelift, and wondered what are things to look out for when buying (aside from the obvious)?

Looking to pick up one with no more than 70k on the clock, and was wondering if there are any age related issues to be aware of also?

Thanks.

The OM642 engine is pretty reliable; the main achilles heel is oil cooler seals. That in itself is not really a big issue it is the amount of dismantling needed to get to the oil cooler in the bottom of the V. It is going to cost about £1,000 give or take at an indy. The other thing to look for on the 204 is rust, and specifically rusty rear subframe. Some rust so badly that the whole subframe needs replacing. MB has done some for free but has also refused to pay for others - not sure what the deciding criterion are. Google w204 subframe issues for more info.

Welcome,
The W204 is a fine car. Especially in the C350 spec.
It is true about the rear subframe but it doesn't affect all of them, in fact probably not that many as there are an awful lot on the road, the later ones seem less affected, 2011 and before seem to be most affected but please don't let it put you off. chances are you will never have an issue. I have had mine for 3 years but mines a 2012 C250 cdi. I did give my subframe a generous dose of dinitrol rust preventer.

Every car has its issues and the C class w204 is one of the lucky ones with less than most.

Service history is the main thing, make sure its had regular oil changes. Modern oil is full of goodies to keep oil seals and critical components working as they should. Skimp on oil changes and things will start to deteriorate.

I did look for a C350 when searching for mine but they are rare, but nice, the C250 is fine for me with plenty enough power. You can map them but I have never bothered. The only thing I wish I had on mine is heated seats, I miss them, other than that I am very happy mine.

Welcome to the forum. FWIW, I have the same engine in an E class and it's a belter. Smooth, refined, quiet for an oil burner and plenty of grunt when you want/need it.

The OM642 engine is pretty reliable; the main achilles heel is oil cooler seals. That in itself is not really a big issue it is the amount of dismantling needed to get to the oil cooler in the bottom of the V. It is going to cost about £1,000 give or take at an indy. The other thing to look for on the 204 is rust, and specifically rusty rear subframe. Some rust so badly that the whole subframe needs replacing. MB has done some for free but has also refused to pay for others - not sure what the deciding criterion are. Google w204 subframe issues for more info.

Thank you, I'd heard about the oil seals on this model, but not so much the subframes. I am guessing the only way to pick these up is a good visual inspection of the car when viewing.

Welcome,
The W204 is a fine car. Especially in the C350 spec.
It is true about the rear subframe but it doesn't affect all of them, in fact probably not that many as there are an awful lot on the road, the later ones seem less affected, 2011 and before seem to be most affected but please don't let it put you off. chances are you will never have an issue. I have had mine for 3 years but mines a 2012 C250 cdi. I did give my subframe a generous dose of dinitrol rust preventer.

Every car has its issues and the C class w204 is one of the lucky ones with less than most.

Service history is the main thing, make sure its had regular oil changes. Modern oil is full of goodies to keep oil seals and critical components working as they should. Skimp on oil changes and things will start to deteriorate.

I did look for a C350 when searching for mine but they are rare, but nice, the C250 is fine for me with plenty enough power. You can map them but I have never bothered. The only thing I wish I had on mine is heated seats, I miss them, other than that I am very happy mine.

Yes I agree, you will hear something bad about every car, it's just a case of picking the one with less bad things said about it than the others I guess :)

Welcome to the forum. FWIW, I have the same engine in an E class and it's a belter. Smooth, refined, quiet for an oil burner and plenty of grunt when you want/need it.

Thank you, I have heard excellent things about this engine and I can't wait to try it out!

Its as important to assess the seller as closely as the car--- A fully documented service history is important--- multiple owners increases the chances of neglect- cheap cars usually have something wrong with them

Re the subframe rot - they tend to rot from the inside out and eventually break apart - best to google it and have a look at some of the images of rotten ones - then you will know where to look otherwise it will be quite hard if the car is not on a ramp.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have actually put a deposit down on one last weekend. First one I viewed but there weren't a great deal about that were relatively low mileage, with the facelift, and driving distance from me to view. Having a few jobs done by the dealer but I should have it in in a couple weeks. Fingers crossed it's not a dud like some of my previous used cars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom