New Mercedes-AMG C63 confirmed as 650hp hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well if you want change, you can wear the vr headsets Stallone and Sandra bullock wore in demolition man. I’d rather have it the old fashioned way.
These new cars may be better, but you lose the all out brutal roar.
our kind may be heading for extinction
But NOT today!

Future amg cars can’t pollute but the electricity needed to charge them will, and you get a go faster toaster for eating while the car drives itself😜

Attachments

• A8F0A15D-1755-4179-B70C-7A4888AD7FAF.jpeg
    A8F0A15D-1755-4179-B70C-7A4888AD7FAF.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 4EEB8F1E-5D17-496E-B532-4B10FFE54774.jpeg
    4EEB8F1E-5D17-496E-B532-4B10FFE54774.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 9
Very true, I'm sure off the line performance will be great for the first or second time after that I doubt it will last and once you've drained that battery well as you say it's a lot of strain on a 2 litre turbo lump carting a big heavy car with flat batteries in.
The Tesla S I had a play around in was fun for a while, but the warning about overusing the "ludicrous" mode was dull. Quick but in an eerie way. I would hate to think how much a new set of batteries would cost for one. Back in the S63 it was as if the mute button had been released and while not quite as fast, it could do it all day!

The Tesla S I had a play around in was fun for a while, but the warning about overusing the "ludicrous" mode was dull. Quick but in an eerie way. I would hate to think how much a new set of batteries would cost for one. Back in the S63 it was as if the mute button had been released and while not quite as fast, it could do it all day!
@MadMerx Porsche Taycan EV can do it all day. It depends upon how a car's EV architecture has been designed. I don't know why everyone freaks out about the "potential" cost of replacing EV batteries. Plenty of stories about horrific prices for having to replace engines in all sorts of ICE powered cars, especially when the car is out of warranty. Tesla's battery warranty is 8 years, last time I checked, MB only offers a 3 year warranty on their cars. Throw in all the stupid servicing/repair costs for MB and other brands with ICEs and you start to realise just how things will change in terms of running costs. Tesla don't even need you to have an annual service and not servicing the car won't invalidate the warranty! Try doing that with a Mercedes and see where it gets you.

Last time I checked, the EV industry still hasn't really tackled the recycling/waste issues associated with EV batteries. Nor the major issues associated with mining critical earth elements for the batteries. Nor the fact that, typically, EV cars need replacing much sooner than ICE cars resulting in extra car manufacture. Nor the fact that the manufacture of EV cars is significantly more energy intensive than for ICE cars.

These problems may be overcome, but I suspect only partially. They are currently just overlooked by the Greta Thunberg brigade. The same people who are happy consuming the latest technology, TV and music streaming, social media, with their hidden energy consumption and CO2 emissions. I have none of this, but choose to pollute instead with a much less extinction rebellion friendly V8 and I feel totally justified in doing so. I don't believe the answer is EV cars, they just produce different environmental problems.

Long live the V8 😁

A well designed, well built, well maintained, low mileage (most V8s are) and relatively un stressed n/ a V8 can last many many many years.
Buy one now (new or used) and enjoy it for another 20 years potentially.
You'll have to spend money on suspension, tyres etc but for many who can afford AMGs, 20 years is a reasonable length of time towards the day they hang up their keys anyway....

The kids all want Tesla's now so let them fill their boots, or blood injected thousand dollar Nike's.....

The real question is whether they’re going to go down the 1 exhaust tip per cylinder route because that would just be ridiculous.

Reading a few articles on t'internet about the new hybrid set up suggests the headline 653bhp might only be available in short bursts (10 seconds is mentioned) and the generally available figure is closer to 520bhp. So lugging a 90kg battery around when it is not fully charged for full power use is going to be a bit of a hindrance I would have thought.

I agree with the comments above about the environmental disaster that is current tech of batteries, both in production (inc the ethics of mineral sourcing) and disposal. I'm amazed how the powers that be and the eco-mentalists continue to ignore this. Batteries are not the future answer and strangely aren't advancing, but just maybe, clean, renewal synthetic fuels should be taken more seriously, as some are doing.... ICE isn't the devil and isn't dead.....

Contrary to some people's beliefs, EVs have serving costs too. Ignoring engine oil, filter & spark plugs of ICE cars (which aren't particularly expensive these days), EVs still have other items that need servicing. A lot of coolant, brakes, tyres, hydraulics, suspension, bushes, pumps, etc all need maintenance - worryingly, many EV owners ignore this and don't think they should be maintained, despite the much heavier cars putting more strain on components. Batteries will die and need replacing, they have a finite life (thanks to chemistry) much shorter than an ICE, which if well maintained can last decades. EVs are possibly the pinacle of throw away technology. There are plenty of studies out there that show how the CO2 footprint of EVs and the ownership costs can take 60K-100K miles to edge past modern, well designed ICE cars. What we have now, is not the future answer.

As MB / AMG are continuing with the V8 (inc electric motor) into larger cars, I can only think it's engineering costs that are stopping them putting the bigger motor in the new 206. Perhaps it's been designed for 4-pots only this time? If CO2 emissions were the only driver, the V8 would be absent from all models.

One thought that occured..... Porsche downsized to 4-pots in the 718 series cars and people demanded the 6-pot back. BMW owners demanded the I6...... maybe if the new 206 AMG 4-pot sales are slow MB will retink this decision?

Well, my finance contract on my 2019 C63 ends in 2 months. Despite absolutely loving the car, I've just put in an order for a M5 Competition. I don't care how much horsepower the new one has, I don't want an electrified 4-pot

I think it's about time the name 'C63' was retired. When were the last N/A V8 6.2 and a bit litre cars made ? 2015 ? . Whatever this is MB are building it will be fast and might be shaped like a C class but it will not be a C63.

As MB / AMG are continuing with the V8 (inc electric motor) into larger cars, I can only think it's engineering costs that are stopping them putting the bigger motor in the new 206. Perhaps it's been designed for 4-pots only this time?
The 206 is the same chassis, it's more of a big facelift than a new car. Therefore, the current 4.0 Biturbo would fit just fine. It's simply the classic bigger engine in cars further up the range and the C is close enough to the bottom that it's been caught up in the downsizing. They have to electrify the C and they can't have the same performance in the C paired with a V8 as the E.

Be interested to see what happens with C63 N/A prices. Too many built to have any affect?

The whole reason I bought my C63S last week was I want to enjoy a modern V8 before it's too late. I know the new one will be better in many ways but it won't have the noise for sure.
I thought the same when I bought a new e63s last June. When they announced the c63s will be four pod I thought I have to jump in quick.

I don’t mind change per-se. But I honestly never owned a V8. I was more the Luxury kinda guy like Audi A8, S - Class etc. But once the midlife crisis hits you you realise you want a V8

but of course not any V8 lol. Still needs to be luxurious and of course have enough room to log the family around. The e63s estate fit the bill.

So yea - I get it. Change needs to happen. Still won’t change the fact I feel sad. But also happy as I know I now keep it and actually just paid off the lease of mine as I know - this thing ain’t going nowhere.

So yea. I wonder when the e63s gets four pods.

Buy a new C63s now and look after it. You could still be driving it past the year 2040.

I understand the reason behind the change, but don't like it. AMG have produced some great V8 engines and hopefully other E/S/GT models will still use the M177/178
This is my plan. I'm 50 years old and plan to die in my mid 80s having never owned anything other than a petrol V8.

Reading a few articles on t'internet about the new hybrid set up suggests the headline 653bhp might only be available in short bursts (10 seconds is mentioned) and the generally available figure is closer to 520bhp. So lugging a 90kg battery around when it is not fully charged for full power use is going to be a bit of a hindrance I would have thought.
As standard the upcoming C63e... will offer a combined 503Bhp and a pretty impressive 516lbft... with 4 pot power..but no real V8 noise..not for me thanks...

However the S class & GT73e coming out with a V8 and electric assistance from similar will put out a combined output of upto 804Bhp & 738lbft of Torque - now that sounds better....but very expensive - LOL (and torque figure is capped due to the limits of what the autobox can handle :) )

I'd accept the latter car if anyone wants me to trial it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom