New Michelin tire leaking air

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty220

Car
1997 C250 TD
Had a shop install two new Michelin Primacy 4 in the front of my W124 yesterday. On the way back home i checked the pressure and the right one was a little on the low side. Drove the car today and after a few kms of city driving i noticed it was steering itself to the right once i was out of the stop and go traffic. Got out of the car and the tyre was almost flat. I put 2.7 bar in it at the first station but noticed the sidewall is now damaged and there's a buldge... How is this possible? It is wet and i can hear the sound of air coming out of the tire but can't identify where it comes from. If the rim is the problem, why did they install the tyre without notifying me first? If they don't admit their fault and blame it on the rim, i'm going to have to buy a new tyre...

Yup, ^^ more likely to be the rim than the tyre :(

The old tyre didn't leak air on the same rim...

I know for a fact it isn't the case. I forgot to mention but when i got the wheels back from the shop, i put them on the car and heard a very faint hissing sound coming from the tyre because it rained and at this point it was brand new without a single rotation. But i know it's a probability.

It would be nigh on impossible to damage the wheel with a tyre machine. I've only ever seen this happen once, breaking a bead on a 21" run flat low profile that suddenly released.

Most likely, a problem with the valve. (Should be replaced every tyre change)
Possibly corrosion that was ok but disturbed on fitting the new tyre (most likely would have seen this when cleaning up the bead and used sealer.
Knock on balance weights can sometimes cause a leak.
Sometimes the bead of the tyre can get damaged by clumsy fitting, but assuming it's a standard size W124 tyre you can pretty much fit them by hand.

I have to ask, if you heard a leak before using them, why did you use them?

I would squirt some soap around to try to find the leak, maybe record it on your phone and then head back and see what they say.

Good news, i sprayed soapy water and it turns out the leak is at the valve.
Ah cool just seen your reply. They really should be sorting this out. I wouldn't mention you heard anything until actually driving.

Uhoh.

What about the "bulge" in the tyre
Not sure there's a substential buldge, or any, might be from looking at a tyre that was always almost flat, at the specified pressure i can't really feel anything.
I have to ask, if you heard a leak before using them, why did you use them?
I tried to convince myself that i didn't hear anything and that it was all inside my head to be honest...
I wouldn't mention you heard anything until actually driving.
I wouldn't either!

Maybe the bulge is an illusion unless it got very hot or pinched over a pothole. Hopefully a simple fix. I'm sure if there is a bulge they will make good with a new tyre.

Maybe the bulge is an illusion unless it got very hot or pinched over a pothole. Hopefully a simple fix. I'm sure if there is a bulge they will make good with a new tyre.
When i got out of the car it was warmer to the touch than an inflated tyre, the road is pretty rough but no substantial pothole.

When i got out of the car it was warmer to the touch than an inflated tyre, the road is pretty rough but no substantial pothole.
You would not have to travel far like that to get the heat up. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, cross that bridge if you need too.
Would be interesting to know if the valve is old or a new faulty one.

Did they fit new valves as they should have done?
If so then its down to them say nothing other than they tyre went down end of input let them sort it

Did they fit new valves as they should have done?
If so then its down to them say nothing other than they tyre went down end of input let them sort it
It turns out there was also a big screw in my brand new tyre... Not a single tyre problem during the last 6 years and then a screw in a brand new Michelin the day i install it.

It turns out there was also a big screw in my brand new tyre... Not a single tyre problem during the last 6 years and then a screw in a brand new Michelin the day i install it.
Same happened to me. Fitted a brand new continental. Drove to airport went on holiday. Came back 3 weeks later. Flat tire with screw and dead battery

🥳

With two new tyres, i am amazed at how silent the car is now. I still have those annoying sway bar bushings to replace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom