New ML (on topic)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
New ML

Has anyone seen the new ML in the flesh? What is the verdict? I have to own up and say I was rather disappointed with it. The interior is still not up to the VW Tourarag and there is the odd quirky thing on the exterior. Just below the fuel filler, there is a ridge which just begs to be hit with the fuel nozzle. Am I right in thinking that prices have crept up? What cc is the engine in the 320CDI? Could I have read it is 2900 cc? £1100 for xenon lights seems steep when VW charge under £800.

erm , make that £1300 for xenons.

I really liked it , would happily buy one now.

Sport pack is awful , maybe you were in a sport. Stick to the SE with the walnut and leather and your sorted.

I was at my local MB dealers today, and although I didnt get inside, I was very impressed with the new ML

l5foye said:
Could I have read it is 2900 cc? £1100 for xenon lights seems steep when VW charge under £800.

The 320CDI is indeed a 3ltr V6

I have just looked at the BMW site, they list bi-xeons as £720, then the active option is a further £305 which equals £1025 (hopefully) So not much difference.

They do however offer some sort of safety package which doesn't make sense: Visibility Package - Headlight washing system, Bi-xenon lights and Adaptive headlight system........... £720????

John

Edit:
Just noticed Fuzzers £1300?? bit of a difference

fuzzer said:
erm , make that £1300 for xenons.

I really liked it , would happily buy one now.

Sport pack is awful , maybe you were in a sport. Stick to the SE with the walnut and leather and your sorted.

I was going to get the sport pack, better check whats included

Saw one in flesh yesterday evening...

I was not that impressed with it (I did not get to look inside it...) but may it will grow on everyone soon in time...

marcos said:
I was going to get the sport pack, better check whats included

the sport pack includes that horrible alacantera on the seats. My own personal preference says the SE version

Hi,

There's a road test of new ML 350 SE in this weeks Autocar:

Results:

ML 4 stars
X% 3.0i Sport 3 and 1/2 stars
Toerag 3.2 V6 Sport 3 stars :eek:
XC90 T6 SE 3 and 1/2 stars

Quote: "Unrecognisable from old: the new class leader" :D .

I also was not sure of alcantara but I don't like walnut wood effect of SE. Feedback from stateside 'alcantarists' is that it's OK and having test driven the Sport (and with previous experience of alcantara seats) the extra grip (less slidy) is a positive as is the need not to bother with heated seat option etc.

320CDi will probably get a higher rating ;) as petrol engine got 3 and 1/2 stars (due to lack of torque) and 3 stars for economy.

I'm not biased ;)

PS Active Xenon option in USA is $870 ( = < £600 inc VAT :eek: )

Last edited:
I've seen one in the flesh (went to the Tony Purslow launch last week) & almost back to back had a test drive in the Touareg (2.5 TDi), haven't tried a new ML yet.

I absolutely love the new ML, still not so sure about the Alcantara in the sport (although the wife loves it). I would be tempted with a sport with full leather I think. I liked the Touareg a lot but thought that the interior plastics weren't quite as good as I would expect in a 30k + car, especially the hard plastic bit around the speedo binacle. Some of the little cubby boxes / sunglass holder etc on the Touareg looked a bit flimsy. The real issue will be the cost, a Touareg Sport SE comes with Sat Nav standard, wheras that's yet another option on the ML.

Anyone else think that the front of the new ML looks a lot like the Kia Sorento?

Mercedes ML:

7augkia7.JPG

Kia Sorento:

mercedes_mlk_2_big.jpg

:D

fuzzer said:
the sport pack includes that horrible alacantera on the seats. My own personal preference says the SE version

Exqueeze me, but what's wrong with Alcantera??

Mambo said:
Anyone else think that the front of the new ML looks a lot like the Kia Sorento?

Mercedes ML:

7augkia7.JPG

Kia Sorento:

mercedes_mlk_2_big.jpg

:D

Yep, and I think the Kia looks better, saw the new ML in a Stearlership & told himm I didn't like the look of it. Mrs A has the 270cdi SE in "Midnight Blue" and she thinks the "Power Bumps" are very pretty !! Christened Tinkerbell!!

But what is it for? It's not as good on the road as an E-class and not as good off road as a Land Rover. And probably more expensive than both combined.

it is for people who don't want an E-class (ie not businessmen) or a Land Rover (ie not farmers).

IanAlexander2 said:
Exqueeze me, but what's wrong with Alcantera??

alacantera is the worse fabric known to man , its horrible. Just because its expencive , doesnt make it good.

Good old leather is about 3000 times better any day than suede. How impractical too.!!

nickg said:
it is for people who don't want an E-class (ie not businessmen) or a Land Rover (ie not farmers).

Agreed. Mrs A did not like the E320cdi (not enough room) Land Rovers have an even more dodgy rep, perhaps they too (like MB) are getting better!"

fuzzer said:
alacantera is the worse fabric known to man , its horrible. Just because its expencive , doesnt make it good.

Well exqueeze me again, I had no idea it was expensive, I think it's rather nice. We will have to differ methinks.

IanAlexander2 said:
Agreed. Mrs A did not like the E320cdi (not enough room) Land Rovers have an even more dodgy rep, perhaps they too (like MB) are getting better!"

I find it hard to credit that the E class doesn't have enough room, I think it's really spacious. So the ML (like any large 4x4) has poor fuel economy, is more dangerous for pedestrians and other motorists, is not great off-road and chucks out CO2 by the bucket load. So as I say, I can't see the point of them - they are a compromise which means that they are compromised.

stever said:
I find it hard to credit that the E class doesn't have enough room, I think it's really spacious. So the ML (like any large 4x4) has poor fuel economy, is more dangerous for pedestrians and other motorists, is not great off-road and chucks out CO2 by the bucket load. So as I say, I can't see the point of them - they are a compromise which means that they are compromised.

Hi Stever,
I would not rise to the bait if I were you! Have you ever heard of the saying......... "Incoming!!!"

:D Get ready to duck.

Good luck,
John

Interesting the differing opinions on the new ML. At the preview I attended, I met 2 people who had placed advance orders ( Delivery -end of year) but on viewing, had decided to cancel their orders. I do think MB are trying to squeeze the last penny out of customers with the prices on the (essential) options. When you look at the ML, it makes you realise how clever Mr Volvo is to fit 7 seats into their 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom