New modification to my CLK...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeighW

Car
'06 Jaguar XJ, '00 Obsidian black CLK320 Avantgarde, '05 Mitsi Colt, '96 GMC Safari
...Colour coded grill!

I wasn't sure whether I'd like this or not, so I saved my mint chrome grill, and bought a 2nd hand one of ebay for £12. :D

£24 spent at paints4u.com, a couple of evenings' work, and bingo! I know it won't be to everyone's taste, but I'm really pleased with it. Here's a pic. :cool:

uploadIMG_0169.jpg

Was preparing myself to dislike, but I think it works very well! :cool:

I wanna do mine now...

There are two W211 E55's on here. One has a star grille and is a big no to me, the other is the painted black grille which IMO rocks

I wanna do mine now...

There are two W211 E55's on here. One has a star grille and is a big no to me, the other is the painted black grille which IMO rocks

Do it! :D Just make sure you key the surface well first, as paint won't stick too well to chrome. ;)

Very nice! add black wheels & it will be knightrider-ish :D

lowknight.gif

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

I've given the car a really good polish today too, tried some Poorboys 'Black hole show glaze' which is designed to remove/fill swirls in darker paint, followed by Poorboys EX sealant. An absolute doddle to apply and remove, and a nice finish too.

uploadIMG_0163.jpg

uploadIMG_0168.jpg

Last edited:
It looks very good. In fact I think it will look better without the bonnet star.

I'm thinking the same, but at the same time I quite like the gun sight in view as I drive, so I can't quite make my mind up. :eek:

i can get you some Dixie airhorns in black if you are interested...

I'm thinking the same, but at the same time I quite like the gun sight in view as I drive, so I can't quite make my mind up. :eek:
You can always try it out and put it back if you don't like it. Seriously, the front end will look a lot cleaner without a chrome 'thingy' sticking out in a sea of black.

You can always try it out and put it back if you don't like it. Seriously, the front end will look a lot cleaner without a chrome 'thingy' sticking out in a sea of black.

Better still, I've photoshopped it out. Hmm, think you could be right...

uploadIMG_0169nostar.jpg

it's staggering how removing the star badge for the flat grill moderns up the mean look

Love the black grille , but leave the bonnet star , just looks wrong without it IMO ...

Brabus and AMG were powder coating grilles black way back in the mists of time ...

Brabus and AMG were powder coating grilles black way back in the mists of time ...

It was a pic of a W124 with the black grill that inspired me actually. Now then, my wheels could maybe do with a refurb; hmm I wonder - black centres and polished rims...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom