New MOT database linked to DVLA and Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesg

Has anyone else got any info about the new Oracle MOT database can do? Here's what I've heard:
- Launched on 1st January.
- MOT has to be logged into the machine step by step as it is being done.
- MOT is timed, take too little time and the inspector gets audited!
- MOT database is linked to DVLA road tax and insurance databases.

System is supposed to be fully integrated so that the Police can use their in car systems to punch in your number (or have a camera read it while they drive along) and it will tell them:
- Whether the car has an up to date MOT.
- Whether the car is insured, but also who the named drivers and what modifications are declared.
- Whether the car has up to date road tax.

They find it all out and print it before they walk up to your window! Apparently the motorway, and other, fixed cameras (like on the bridges as you drive under) can be set up to look for dodgy motors and vector in support to nick them.

Anyone heard more about this latest system?

Interesting stuff.

jamesg said:
...... and what modifications are declared.

Hope they carry enough paper to print off Koolvin's mod list

Modifications:

:: W210 Blinking Mirrors
:: H&R Lowered and uprated Sport Springs
:: W201 Spring pads
:: SLK Chrome Shift surround
:: OEM New spec Chrome Centre caps
:: Chrome Dial surrounds
:: 17" AMG Monoblock Alloys (polished Lips)
:: OEM AMG C43 Styling pack
:: OEM Face lift rear light clusters
:: Sheatz Rear Spoiler
:: Bekkers 'Avantgarde' grill
:: Kool lights running Mod
:: Phillips silver vision bulbs (for corners)
:: High output headlight bulbs (Bosch jobbies)
:: SLK Steering Wheel (2 tone leather + updated airbag)
:: OEM AMG C36 Exhuast
:: 'High' Centre Console
:: Cotton green sports air filter
:: Sat NAV with 7" Widescreen
:: OEM Puddle lights (under front doors)
:: updated inner door plastic (from facelift W202)
:: LOTS of ICE
:: Custom AMP rack
:: Brabus door pins (replica)
:: Ski Hole (custom made)
:: Nokia full duplex hands free kit in OEM MB phone console
:: OEM MB Electric Rear Blind
:: AMG wing badges (replica because original were never made)
:: Stainless steel door sills (Mercedes-Benz etching)
:: EVO pedals
:: Mossleman Turbo Conversion
:: Garrett T25 Turbo with integral wastegate
:: Aeroquip and Samco Hoses
:: Front mounted Intercooler
:: Boost and Air fuel gauges
:: C230K NGK grooved spark plugs
:: SLK230 Kompressor valve cover
:: SLK Heater control Dials
:: Alpine Multimedia
:: DE-KAT'd
:: 5th Cosworth Injector
:: Subaru MAP sensor
:: HKS Dump Valve
:: MF2 Fuel electronic managment
:: Cosworth RAM-AIR Induction kit
:: Volstrom Rear spoiler
:: Stealth Box
:: Leather pockets for front seats
:: Custom Stainless steel housing for cold box
:: Modified air intake
:: Modified Mosselman charge pipes all welded with brackets
:: Thermotec exuast wrap for front/down pipes
:: 2 tone Shift knob
:: Sunblinds for back side windows (Left and Right)
:: W210 Door handles
:: Chrome cluster surrounds
:: Heated leather
:: OEM GPS/Telephone antennae
:: Folding mirrors
:: Pre-silencer remove
:: 3inch Stainless steel exhuast pipe all the way to the back box
:: OEM Xenon's
:: Auto dimming RVM
:: Auto dimming side w210 rear view mirror
:: Bilstein yellow Sprint sports dampers all round
:: Wing repeaters removed
:: Removed rear boot spoiler

I'm off to the Oracle academy in UCLA ( l.a.) in July for training - will ask them all about it!!
:bannana:

(dry campus apparently - but very wet just off it!! :devil: )

Excellent - I'm all for it!

Dont think it will be without faults...

The insurance one has been up for 18 months or so but only 4 of the insurance companies agreed to the scheme so not being listed means diddly.

MOT's... will be much the same in that many MOT centres will drag their heels about getting online. My guess is that many still wont have this feed in five years time.

The PNC is currently under so much strain that is taking sometimes six months to update vehicle registrations let alone listing all about people's furry dice etc.

On top of everthing else, its another govenment IT project contracted out to EDS. I have never ever heard of an EDS implementation that was a success. :crazy:

Someone once told me Oracle was an acronmyn for "One Raging Asshole Called Larry Ellison". Don't know if that's true or not.

Last edited:
Sp!ke said:
Dont think it will be without faults...

The insurance one has been up for 18 months or so but only 4 of the insurance companies agreed to the scheme so not being listed means diddly.

The PNC is currently under so much strain that is taking sometimes six months to update vehicle registrations let alone listing all about people's furry dice etc.

Can't say i've noticed either of these problems in practice.

The insurance database seems quite reliable and comprehensive and the PNC is being updated quickly. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the ANPR database the DVLA supply us with which at best is 2 months behind.
Sick and tired of stopping decent people with recently bought vehicles because the database says 'no registered keeper'.

Sp!ke said:
MOT's... will be much the same in that many MOT centres will drag their heels about getting online. My guess is that many still wont have this feed in five years time.

I'll see what I can find out. I thought all VOSA stations were online. My company (NOT EDS) has the contract for this!

Last edited:
>I have never ever heard of an EDS implementation that was a success.

Agreed. Most of the guys I have worked with in the UK have at one time or another worked at EDS for a while. The stories are astonishing.

Sp!ke said:

I think that is a fair comment, as with any computer system it is only as good as it is allowed to be. Information is sometimes slow to get into the system and even more frustrating, slow to be taken off.

Unfortunately the 'modern' Police Officer tends to think the system is excellent and if the PNC states that the world is flat, then it is flat. Or I suppose more tactfully if a car is described as 'not being 'suspect, or stolen' then there is a good chance the vehicle will not be stopped.

Once again though this is a generalization and you might get the odd officer who will explain that the PNC is good, but not infailable.

Regards,
John

Fully expect all the human rights people and tax dodgers to be out picketing.

gary

well people, this kind system we have that for years (+10years) in the netherlands. so nothing new here...

glojo said:
Unfortunately the 'modern' Police Officer tends to think the system is excellent and if the PNC states that the world is flat, then it is flat. Or I suppose more tactfully if a car is described as 'not being 'suspect, or stolen' then there is a good chance the vehicle will not be stopped.

Regards,
John

Hi John,

Missed this when it was first posted but felt it needed a reply. I'm not sure if I would be classed as a 'modern' Police Officer with 20yrs service but I can assure you I will check the PNC if my suspicions are aroused by a vehicle or it's driver but even if the check is negative it will still get a 'tug'.
And from my frequent dealings with the DVLA and the PNC I still state that both are reasonably accurate and up to date. Certainly no evidence of either being 6 or even 2 months out of date.

1st Jan!I know my dad was saying our garage would be getting this system, but its certainly not going to be in the next few weeks! Ill find out more when i go home this weekend...

Plodd said:
Hi John,

Missed this when it was first posted but felt it needed a reply. I'm not sure if I would be classed as a 'modern' Police Officer with 20yrs service but I can assure you I will check the PNC if my suspicions are aroused by a vehicle or it's driver but even if the check is negative it will still get a 'tug'.
And from my frequent dealings with the DVLA and the PNC I still state that both are reasonably accurate and up to date. Certainly no evidence of either being 6 or even 2 months out of date.

Hi Plodd,
I most certainly am NOT personalising my remarks, the type of Police Officer I am referring to, is the one that has no common sense, has never seen the 'wide world', never experienced life and treats life as being black and white. They believe rules are there to ENFORCE, and enforce them they will.

This is the type I am perhaps aiming my remarks at. I note how you have stated how you personally use a degree of discretion, which is how our laws should be imposed.

The Police PNC is only as good and as accurate as the information put into it nationwide. I accept that you as an individual, or perhaps your unit\centre might not experience problems, but keeping this topic on a generalised theme. Joe Bloggs might be shown as wanted, but he might have been to court, or paid an outstanding fine etc. etc. the list can be endless, slight mistakes are also made over intials, aliases etc.

Change of ownership is also another hot potatoe that the PNC can only quite obviously be always chasing. Things take time, approval takes time and modifications take time.

I believe six months to be an excessively long period of time and it would certainly need explaining, shorter periods though are perhaps slightly more common.

Regards,
John

neilrr said:
Someone once told me Oracle was an acronmyn for "One Raging Asshole Called Larry Ellison". Don't know if that's true or not.
One Rich Arshole Called Larry Ellison :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom