New Motor - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
So the current car may be returned in 2-3 weeks time if I decide to take the plunge and take the money offered by the firm...

I'll need to replace it with something. whilst the temptation is there to blow the lot on something spectacular, I've decided to be sensible. Basic requirements are reliability, ability to take 4 adults comfortably 700 miles south (France) with plenty of room for luggage, gig gear, etc. Would like a roomy estate again, but am happy to whack a roofbox on. Looking at £6k max.

I think a C-class is too small in the rear for 2 adults / 700 miles. So I've been doing a quick trawl around looking at:

E-Class
V70
A6 (few and far between)
5-series
VW Passat

We popped into a local place yesterday as they had a Passat parked up. Mrs E was very taken by the big MPVs, but I'm not too sure. We took out a Citroen C8 which was actually not too bad to drive, but I have lots of doubt.

As it's been a while since I've been in the second-hand game:

1. Any general hints and tips? Master E can give advice on the oily bits, and I've looked up Honest John, What Car, and the like.

2. Are there any other vehicles, perhaps out in left field, that I've not thought about?

Cheers.

There are no bad cars in your list. I'd be happy with any.

An additional option: The 2.2 diesel engine in the Honda Accord is excellent. From what I've seen the boot is also a very decent size.

If you want to save even more money then the Saab 9-5 Aero estate (petrol) offers a lot for the money. I imagine £3k would buy a very decent example.

The Citroen C5 looks massive from the outside. No personal experience of one though. Again, I imagine your money would go a long way on a C5.

I always run V70 as my daily driver this is my 5th, never done anything to them other than routine servicing they are not exciting don't have the prestige of a Merc but munch up the miles, mine goes all over Europe. I dropped back to a V50 before this V70 but that was a mistake too small and it really was a lifestyle estate not a load hauler.

Another to look at is Subaru legacy estate and legacy Outback estate uber reliable and the boxer diesel is a peach and turns in over 50 mpg day in day out.

I've had both the above more than once and theres really nothing to choose between them :thumb:

Secondhand - obvious things like service history, how much money has been spent on the important things, unless you need a particular gadget, cars with a higher spec tend to have more things go wrong, higher mileage less important than how those miles were accumulated, what tyres has it got on (ditchfinders indicate a higher likelihood that other important things have been skimped) and check everything works.

Of your list, an E class is immensely roomy, the 210 having the best load area (I have a really good one for sale if you want to try how it works), and the 211 is pretty close. The 5 series is a lot less storage than you think and while I love the E39, the later ones ride is horrible. The 2.2 Honda diesel engine is good, but the earlier Accord has much better load area.

Not a lot to say about either the V70 or the Passat as I haven't been in one in yonks.

Another you should consider is an Alfa 159, forget the myths, they are very reliable now a days.

I think a C-class is too small in the rear for 2 adults / 700 miles.
I wouldn't be too sure about that, About 5 years ago I drove the C180 auto I had at the time to Lake Garda (850 miles each way) with 4 adults, 2 weeks of luggage and a Baritone horn (don't ask) and it was no problem. OK, no six-footers in our family but we aren't tiny either.

As for alternatives, I concur with the V70 - masses of room and ideal as a long distance cruiser. Or what about Audi A6?

By coincidence ended up being given a lift in a Passat yesterday, seemed fine, but it has an automatic handbrake that is applied after a certain time at rest, which was driving the keeper nuts.

You could get a reasonable Lexus 300RX for that money, would tick all your boxes, very quiet and very smooth.

SKODA Superb 3.6 4x4 [YOUTUBE]wfUPQZ1za2c [/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom