New NTG2.5 Firmware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
The January 2010 Star Diagnosis release (sent to those with genuine star machines) includes new Telematics (firmware update) disks for NTG2.5 (all regions) and NTG3.5 (ECE/USA/China/Korea)

NTG2.5 = Hard disk comand in A, B, CLC, W211-E/CLS, ML, GL, R, SLK, SL, Viano/Vito/Sprinter

NTG3.5 = Hard disk comand with in-built bluetooth in S/CL (from mid 09 facelift)

The NTG2.5 one replaces the 06/2009 update (which fixed *loads* of bugs), I don't yet know what is in this release as I haven't installed it on anything yet.

Richard

How can I check on my NTG2.5 if I have the 2010 firmware. Had my unit updated begining of Jan at the dealers.

Thanks.

How can I check on my NTG2.5 if I have the 2010 firmware. Had my unit updated begining of Jan at the dealers.

Thanks.

It does not have the update. I know this because I get my Star Diagnosis disk distribution along with all the UK dealers (by UPS from Germany), and it arrived the day I started this thread, so your dealer will have got them at the same time. Beginning of Jan is too early.

You can get into engineering mode by holding phone-hangup, * and 6 (3 keys) down together for about 10 seconds - you can see the softwre version there. Post all the info here and i'll try and find where i wrote down the version for the 6/2009 firmware update..

The dates on the firmware for the 06/2009 update seem to be around 3/2009. The 1/2010 disk seems to have files dated from 07/2009 to 09/2009 dates on it

Richard

4. When I installed NTG2.5 there is no sound.
This is because the unit was configured for Harmon Kardon sound system, you need to find an independant with Star Diagnosis and the 'development' mode settings who is willing to try and reset the unit. There is a rumour that NTG2.5 can be set to default settings by doing the following: Turn off unit. Press and hold the ON button until it comes on and turns off again. Now Press and hold the ON button and at same time rotate volume control clockwise. When you hear a noise, release ON button. If this works for you please let us know.

Hey Richard
I tried the above. No luck unfortunately. When holding the ON button down and turning the volume clockwise, the noise sounds. Like the units shutsdown and restarts. The only thing I noticed was the radio memory where reset. But something definitely happens...

Still no sound :dk:

Maybe it will work for someone else :)

regards
Bayram

Did you release the ON button (and stop rotating volume control) the moment you heard the sound ? (rather than waiting for it to reboot again)

Sounds like that trick doesnt work - but it clearly did something .. I'll have to play with one at some point ..

Richard

Did you release the ON button (and stop rotating volume control) the moment you heard the sound ? (rather than waiting for it to reboot again)

Sounds like that trick doesnt work - but it clearly did something .. I'll have to play with one at some point ..

Richard

Yes I did. Released the button and stop rotating the moment the sound came. It sounds like you power on speakers. It takes a while for it to reboot again.
When you try the trick - you cant do it againg unless you disconnect power cable :)

Just to resurrect this thread...

Had the Telematics Update done on my wife's MY09 SLK a couple of weeks ago and must say that the new features like volume reduction during navigation instructions improve the usability, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the update has screwed up the automatic re-routing based upon TMC info.

Twice last weekend, with the route option set to "Dynamic", and despite the display clearly showing road closures on our route and receiving several "the route has been updated to avoid traffic delays" messages, the route still stubbornly remained passing through the closed road sections :(

Only by cancelling route guidance and setting a new route to the destination did the system then recognise the closure and route us around it. Anyone else had this problem?

Just to resurrect this thread...

Had the Telematics Update done on my wife's MY09 SLK a couple of weeks ago and must say that the new features like volume reduction during navigation instructions improve the usability, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the update has screwed up the automatic re-routing based upon TMC info.

Twice last weekend, with the route option set to "Dynamic", and despite the display clearly showing road closures on our route and receiving several "the route has been updated to avoid traffic delays" messages, the route still stubbornly remained passing through the closed road sections :(

Only by cancelling route guidance and setting a new route to the destination did the system then recognise the closure and route us around it. Anyone else had this problem?

Noticed the same on my CLS after they updated the firmware last week. Anybody know exactly what eco route is? Also noticed that text message reader is no longer after the update.

Eco route was made available in the previous firmware update in 2009. Alfie mentioned in a previous thread it is a mixture of shortest and fastest routes.

Anybody know exactly what eco route is?
As a mate of mine quipped, "Eco Route in an SLK350? What's it do, direct you to the nearest station?" :D

Seriously though, it's becoming a common option on many after-market sat-nav's and provides a route that will lead to the best economy (allegedly).

BTW, I'm sort of glad that someone else has experienced the TMC routing issue. I'll talk to my dealer...

There is a bug in the new (and old) NTG2.5 firmware that causes the satellite reception to come and go if there is an SD card in the SD slot! Very odd behaviour but definately a fault. It has been reported to MB so we await a fix!

Interesting... We permanently have an SD card in the memory slot but I've never noticed any obvious symptoms of intermittent satellite reception such as appearing to be off-road when your not. Mind you, the dead reckoning probably masks all but the longest breaks in reception.

Hi Alfie,

Thanks for all your hard work yesterday installing the NTG2.5. It was a pleasure driving home, and the TMC anouncements are a great bonus when using the Dynamic route guidance.

I can highly recommed Comandeurope.com to anyone considering upgrading their car - the service was excellent.

I've checked the satelite reception with an SD card inserted - in fact i drove home with it. I do not see any satelite drop out, so it could possibly due to the make or size of the card. I know that certain cards have caused issues with HTC phones! I was using a sandisk 8Gig class 4, if that helps anyone. Whilst parked in my garage tonight, i was getting a constant fix on 6 - 8 sats.

Richard

Hi Richard
I took my W211/E200K MY2007, to a main MB Dealer in AThens to retrofit an NTG2.5. + TV Tuner. (was previously retrofited with an NTG1+TV)
After instalation /retrofit :
a) The NTG2.5 was working fine (radio + NAVI + other staff)
b) TV Tuner + Camera was then added
c) The MB Dealer sent the new codes (NAVI, TV Tuner , Rearview camera etc) to MB central and they got the confirmation from MB that those were added and my datacard was updated. (so when they connect on-line DAS knows about the new equipment)
d) however to my undestanding they can not add the TV Tuner to the ring as when they do the SCN Coding , DAS goes out and tells them to contact MB Helpdesk (which for some reason they are reluctant to do!!)

Any idea what is happening ?? and most importantly how it can be rectified ?
Regards from sunny Athens
George

P.S. Same question would apply to anyone who can contribute !!

The MB dealers can not cope with NTG2.5 COMAND units in cars which "shouldnt" have them. The SCN coding process fails because it doesn't understand that a non MY2009 car can have a COMAND that needs SCN coding in it.

They have to get the monthly factory mode password from the helpdesk, and then set up the 60 odd options properly, but they won't know what all the options mean ..

Richard

The MB dealers can not cope with NTG2.5 COMAND units in cars which "shouldnt" have them. The SCN coding process fails because it doesn't understand that a non MY2009 car can have a COMAND that needs SCN coding in it.

They have to get the monthly factory mode password from the helpdesk, and then set up the 60 odd options properly, but they won't know what all the options mean ..

Richard

Hi Richard

This morning I was playing around with DAS developer and my car.
Even if my car is MY2007 and without telling DAS in a newer model (MY2009)and a newer COMAND (NTG2.5) , DAS read the car's data and all the parameters of the COMAND.
So I was able to change a few params like Rearview Camera->Exist , ECO route on Navi -, Fader ->On, Activate Fiber ring and put TV on Position 1 (Most Master: HU), Activate TV Tuner etc...

Still have some problems with TV Tuner. When TV is selected on COMAND it reports "Device unavailable" which is strange , however my time was running out, so I will be checking all subsystems (for a start have checked Optical ring and seemed Ok !!) within the next couple of days and of course report back to the forum.
Best Regards
G.

Hi Richard

This morning I was playing around with DAS developer and my car.
Even if my car is MY2007 and without telling DAS in a newer model (MY2009)and a newer COMAND (NTG2.5) , DAS read the car's data and all the parameters of the COMAND.
So I was able to change a few params like Rearview Camera->Exist , ECO route on Navi -, Fader ->On, Activate Fiber ring and put TV on Position 1 (Most Master: HU), Activate TV Tuner etc...

Still have some problems with TV Tuner. When TV is selected on COMAND it reports "Device unavailable" which is strange , however my time was running out, so I will be checking all subsystems (for a start have checked Optical ring and seemed Ok !!) within the next couple of days and of course report back to the forum.
Best Regards
G.

Hi again
I finally sorted out the problems.
My car was phone prewired (code 386) and the phone was still left in the optical ring.
I have taken it out of the ring , checked the fiber again , and allas the whole system works fine.
My regards to everybody
G.

P.S. Still some problems with Map updating he famous "The map can not be updated - Contact MB service" message (for both v3 and v4,1 maps - HU updated with Telematics 2010.01)

Last edited:
gmatj said:
P.S. Still some problems with Map updating he famous "The map can not be updated - Contact MB service" message (for both v3 and v4,1 maps - HU updated with Telematics 2010.01)

Are you using genuine discs or copies?

Are you using genuine discs or copies?

I have used BOTH my friend !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom