New or used Becker Pilot vs Tom Tom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dm74

Car
C220
Hello all, picking up my first Merc this weekend and can't wait. With regards to the sat nav , would you recommend buying the Becker pilot for the car or an external device ???
Would a second hand Becker do the job , plenty around on eBay ?
Can you help please ?

Cheers Dave

TomTom is a better nav device - but, do you want a tomtom on your windscreen with trailing power cable?
Becker is ok with main display & dashboard arrows also

Buy a new becker from a reputable supplier [ non mB] . Lots of stories of second hand units failing to upgrade via computer and becoming a dead stick.

Tom Tom but vent or panel mount on a Brodit bracket dont stick it to the windscreen. Becker is even more useless than Command and thats saying something :D

I agree Becker is ok, but it depends how much you want out of your sat nav?

If you decide on a Becker unit just note they come in two sizes 4Gb and 8Gb, aim for the latter if you can.

Also check out YouTube of some working example, they're not a Command system but are well integrated system.

Not impressed with the Becker system in my car - my wife is getting fed up with the invective when it, yet again, gives me wrong instructions. Never had that problem with TomTom (I've had two TT systems in the past).

Last edited:
Not impressed with the Becker system in my car - my wife is getting fed up with the invective when it, yet again, gives me wrong instructions. Never had that problem with TomTom (I've had two TT systems in the past).

I note your profile states W205, is this not with a Garmin system? MB changed from the Becker system for the current model.

Becker is great for most journeys. No windscreen clutter, easy to use and reasonably accurate. When more precise or up to date navigation is required I stick on my TomTom, mainly because I can update it for free and updating the Becker is a problem because it is not compatible with my iMac iOS system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom