New owner s600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveskeggy

Car
S55 AMG
Hi.
I recently bought a 2000 w220 s600, which worked perfectly on the test drive but developed a misfire on the way home.
I am trying to sort the misfire out now in conjunction with my local performance centre, and so far I have changed the MAF and the plugs.
Its made the car run a little better, but it still starts to misfire when it is ticking over and has very little power over 4000 revs.
I realise that the next thing to change will be one of the coil packs, i have a basic OBD2 reader which leads me to believe that its the first three plugs on the left bank as you are looking at the engine from the front.
Thing is, as this is an 11 year old car, I am not too keen on paying MB dealer money for a new coil pack.
So, what I wanted to ask is, do any of you know of a firm in the UK that refurbishes these coil packs?
I cant seem to find one on the internet, but I cant believe that after reading how often these things die and knowing how expensive they are that no one repairs them.
If not, then does anyone know of anywhere that could sell me a used one?
I know its not the best idea to have used ones, but needs must and all that.
Thanks for any help.

Best not to try and run a 600 on a shoe string. if your located in the south try PCS in Horndean.

Highly recommended on here.

Hi.
If not, then does anyone know of anywhere that could sell me a used one?
I know its not the best idea to have used ones, but needs must and all that.
Thanks for any help.

I don't know how much those things are but why not Google 'Mercedes Breakers'. I know of two Mercman and Dronsfield but there must be a lot more. I know many people say that you should not try to a MB on a budget but my approach is 'why throw money away when it is not that easy to get hold of to start with?'!!

get a star test done on another note

i have a s 600 v12 for sale small little rust on four arch 's very small sale price 3000 ono euro

based in dublin ireland the car has amg wheels split rims and runs perfect

welcome to the world of S600.
You have a s600 pre-biturbo. What you need to get someone to do is to disable the auto cyclinder cut off, this is why the coil packs get worn so badly on pre biturbo s600.
You can try ebay, there are normally a few specially on US ebay.
1k is really expensive.

Thanks for that, just done a parts search at both of those.
I dont intend to try and run it on a budget, but to be quite honest I have had the car three weeks on Wednesday and so far on top of the purchase price its cost nearly five hundred quid, and wife is starting to get a bit testy about it.
I dont mind it been off the road for a week or two because I havent sold my old Lexus yet (havent had time, what with trying to fix the Merc!) so I wouldnt be without transport.

Mercedes V12 S CL SL 600 Coil Pack Coilpack S600 CL600 | eBay

coil packs remanufactured us side.
I got 2 front stuts and it arrived within a week for less than half the price new.
the struts have lifetime warranty, i asked what that means. They said if they fail at any time just send them back and they'll send another set remanufactured ones.
Only one thing is you have to add VAT on the price as you'll pay it when it gets shipped.

one thing to check is sometimes there are 2 things on the ignition. The coil pack and something else, cant remember what its called but check that first. Alot of people have bought coil packs for 1k and then found it was the £50 part that was wrong.

Last edited:
I think you are referring to the control unit that is a piggy back on the coil pack? There are usually replaced together as a single unit for exactly the reason you mention. The price difference may not be worth the hassle of going for a US import. IIRC the original part from Mercedes was £850+VAT. Someone more informed than me can fill in the details! What I cannot work out is why the coils fail so regularly on these V12 engines, with or without turbo? There must be a design fault that has never been addressed. Has there ever been a recall on these? Mel.

i think its mostly due to them being broken when mechanics take them out as happenend to me. I also think its the design, i looked at mine and the weight of the sparks and the cylinder that holds the spark is held and secured by a little bit of solder thats it.

I think mine may have been down to a bit of a **** owning the car before me.
The MAF had gone, whch probably burned out the plugs, which in turn did in the coil pack, and has probably clobbered one or more cats.

Thanks for the link to the US e-bay page, unfortunately that seller doesnt ship internationally.

The MAF wont burn the plugs out. A Maf is a serviceable item.

When the plugs were changed did you change the plug caps too? They must be done aswell everytime.

Try the caps first.

BTW this car is very very expensive to maintain. Missfires are simple and cheap to fix compared to some things.

The MAF wont burn the plugs out. A Maf is a serviceable item.

When the plugs were changed did you change the plug caps too? They must be done aswell everytime.

Try the caps first.

BTW this car is very very expensive to maintain. Missfires are simple and cheap to fix compared to some things.

No, but I have got a set on order.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom