New owner saying hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamCF

Car
W202 c220 Sport
Hello all,

Just picked up a w202 c220 CDI sport (year 2000). Surprisingly straight and rust free!

My first venture into Mercedes, had all sorts over the past few years, S4 Avant, Delta HF turbo, 205 GTI, Fiat Coupe Turbo, Golf VR6 etc so I'm not new to cars of this era and the potential problems

Which leads me to my first question:

The single wiper mechanism at the front works for about 3 wipes before fouling on the drivers side A pillar, clearly something to do with the telescopic wiper function which I've never seen before? Is this likely to be a full replacement unit or something more specific?

2) The boot doesn't lock, there is no specific boot key, should it be locking on the central locking or is it independent of that? What are my options? Source another boot lock with key? Anyone have one for sale?

3) The car only came with one key, how much work is it to get a replacement? It's the nice shiny chrome key.

4) Whats the cambelt replacement mileage on these?

Hope you can help me out

Cheers

Adam

pic below

Do you think it will be a case of it needing lubing or is it more likely something that has failed?

Adam

Difficult to say without removing that clamshell cover ---you can usually do this without removing the entire unit from the car . Its possible the arm has been wrongly fitted Iirc the entire arm is fixed to the actuator by a machine screw that fits into an indent on the plunger that moves in and out. If not it may be the actuator is not fully retracting at a certain part of the sweep due to a lack of lubrication? I would suggest removing the clam shell cover completely and then observe the mechanism in action. - exercise care-you dont want to get fingers trapped!!!
https://youtu.be/1TvncY_7hf4
[YOUTUBE HD]1TvncY_7hf4[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
Thanks.

What are your thoughts on the boot lock situation? It doesnt lock on the central locking fob and I have no seperate key for it.

What are my options?

Check (apologies if you have) that you do not simply have a wiper blade that is slightly too long. I did and it fouled on the drivers side plastic screen channel but would miss the passenger side by a fraction. I bought a 1" shorter blade.

Yes thats what I was going to do next! Just simply buy a shorter blade and see how I get on!

Took off the cover today and greased everything up, sadly didnt fix things. Whatever it is that pushes the wiper up and down appeared to be overpowered by something else (it's fine without the wiper attached and just the motor working, but the minute a wiper is touching the glass it fails to retract back in and just stays out at full length)

Seperaretly I investigated the boot lock, took it off and saw that the vacuum hose had split, thinking it was an easy fix I replaced it only for it to still not work.

Ive tried the blade key in the boot lock and it doesnt move, been blasting it all day with WD40 in the hope that it frees up. (drivers door was the same but freed up after the first spray of WD)

Also the petrol cap doesn't lock, this wouldn't have any effect on the boot would it? Two separate systems?

Cheers

Adam

Last edited:
Shorter wiper blade has sorted the wiper issue.

Boot lock still not freeing up...

The rear nearside light wobbles slightly, took it apart yesterday to figure out why this is and couldnt see any reason for it. Anyone know a good fix on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom