New owner woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This saga sounds to me like a fault with the auxiliary battery rather than the main battery. The auxiliary battery is used to power various electrical consumers when Eco mode ie start/stop is active and the engine has shut down, leaving the main battery to deal with starting the engine. Any problem with the auxiliary battery will result in Eco/Start Stop being disabled, and potentially some or all of a variety of unrelated systems that rely on the auxiliary battery eg Distronic Plus, Active Driving Assistance system and Hold function also being disabled. This was a (very) common issue with the W212 E class and was due to a fault with the auxiliary battery itself. The fix was to replace the auxiliary battery. So hopefully this was what has happened with you and that the car is running - or should I say not running - as it should.
I had the alarm come up aux battery fault, changed the battery. Could not fault the old battery, stored it for 2 years still had 12 volts charged it and fitted it, all ok, second battery can not fault, now in storage for the next time.

After all that to get stop/start working you will now get fed up of it and turn it off!

Funny enough. I had a problem with a c class rental where I turned it off but it kept stopping anyway lol

Interesting thread.
Just thought I’d leave a short summary of my experiences with 2x W205 C-Classes..

Bought a 2015 saloon in 2018 as a daily driver.
Car was fine and didn’t display any issues.
After a short while, you do come to realise that there is an awful lot of cheap plastic in these newer cars.
It had piano black trim, which as you know, scratches even if you breathe on it.
Soon discovered a really annoying rattle/ vibration in the dash, behind the instrument cluster somewhere.

The main issue I had with this car, revealed itself in autumn, where the whole thing would steam up like a goldfish bowl no matter what the weather conditions.
Annoyed the hell out of me.
Had every aspect of aircon checked, changed filters etc.
Still steamed up.
The only thing that would clear the windows was having the blowers on full blast.
Had the car in to Mike at MB Medway and discovered that the thick foam under the carpets were wet.
Previous owner left pano roof open in rain?
Over zealous valetor?

Got rid of it for a 2019 C-Class.
Went for black ash trim. Looks better and doesn’t scratch like the piano black trim.

blowers are better, Comand has a noticeable upgrade, car is better spec all round.
Interestingly, it had the exact same rattle in the dash.
2 cars, 4 years apart.
Go figure.

couldn't be bothered sorting the rattle in the first car as I didn’t have it long enough.
Keeping the new one for a while so ran it into MB.
They removed dash and applied some felt tape to the contact areas and solved the issue.

generally speaking, these cars still aren’t being built as well as you’d think.
Marketing and gimmicky tech keeps build quality issues hidden from view.

My CLK63 feels more solid and had never had a single rattle in 11yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom