New petrol and diesel car ban - death of first cars, classics etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's how I understand it.....not to mention the grid could not cope if we all went EV the same day......its will be a slow but accelerating uptake of EV until such time most of the old ICE cars have died of natural causes....probably 20 or 30 years beyond 2030 would be my guess.....as long as we can still afford fuel.....but it should be cheap as chips....supply and demand and all that....It wont be of course!!! If its still affordable to run an ICE car I can see ICE cars that have been looked after being very sought after by petrolheads like us in 20 so years time!!!
We’ve been around the subject of lagged implementation before…..

Thé EU loves deadlines. Especially the whooshing noise that they make as they fly by. (See sanctions on Russia since the invasion. Some sanctions are applied quickly. Most? Not so much)

The UK currently has 40 million vehicles on the road:, including 35 million cars. Average age is just under nine years old but ten million vehicles are over 15 years old, even under current circumstances. That’s quite a lag before things disappear.

Manufacturers like Toyota, a big one, politely disagree with the EU’s view on the disappearance of the ICE. They’ll play by the rules, but believe that the world will want ICE for a very long time yet, especially outside Europe and North America which are the only two regions driving this change. The other 90% of the World aren’t so convinced.

Sadiq Khan and his cronies wouldn't dare touch the Historic vehicle exemptions in Great Britain.

As mentioned above the problem is sourcing a good used Auto for a first car. I have helped out various friends over the last 20 years or so by finding them such a car.
Only a few weeks ago a friend got in touch and asked if I could get a used auto for his daughter who has just passed her test.
He gave me a budget and several choices of cars she liked.
I have always liked VW Polos for a first car but , and a similar issue with the other cars she liked, for every 10 manual cars there was maybe one auto. This meant either travelling a long way to look or having to wait until a more local car came up.
It was actually about 4 or 5 weeks before a suitable car came up which we purchased, if a manual car had been an option I could have probably found a decent one in a couple of days .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom