New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WBAC have increased the value of my car From £14680---6 months ago to £15580 this week...Its a diesel C220d premium plus estate 2015...one owner 27k FMB SH
Decent used cars are going up in price...when I get my £40k purchase price back I'll sell it LOL...Any takers

You've done well there ,i put the wifes in as a giggle 1 day old 6 miles £32.5k new they offered £19k ,you have to be desperate or stupid to sell to them 😉

What's wrong with the e-tron?

Audi-e-tron-rear.jpg

I read a theatd that if ever one has ev tha 30 million of them in uk everyone charging them at same time how they going to keep my hove lights going as we have power cuts all the time it’s a joke what building new nuclear power plants is green when they blow up ?????

Will there ever be 30 million electric cars on the road post 2030 though?

Seems to me that the plan post 2030 is to impose punative taxes on all the old ICE cars to get them off the roads quickly. The masses will be taking the bus or walking not driving electric cars.

Seems to me that the plan post 2030 is to impose punative taxes on all the old ICE cars to get them off the roads quickly. The masses will be taking the bus or walking not driving electric cars.
Yup, that is what I am certain will happen. Hope to God work is done on public transport infrastructure by then!

Yup, that is what I am certain will happen. Hope to God work is done on public transport infrastructure by then!
I suppose it all depends on if people will travel in the future. The death of the city centre / high street due to online shopping. All the former retail space has to be used for something else. Housing seems the obvious choice where people can work from home. A brave new world or just a bloody boring one?

They will soon hike EV road tax where else are they going to replace fuel duty ,nothing is free, especially in the UK

I read a theatd that if ever one has ev tha 30 million of them in uk everyone charging them at same time how they going to keep my hove lights going as we have power cuts all the time it’s a joke what building new nuclear power plants is green when they blow up ?????
The grid would already fail if everyone turned on their kettles, or worse, electric showers at once. It just doesn’t work that way and this scare story is trotted out endlessly.

By the time it could become a problem, charging will be managed.

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but there’s quite the program of building wind and solar generation going on too.

Watch this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It’s an American piece, but their situation is already way worse than ours, so bear that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The grid would already fail if everyone turned on their kettles, or worse, electric showers at once. It just doesn’t work that way and this scare story is trotted out endlessly.

By the time it could become a problem, charging will be managed.

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but there’s quite the program of building wind and solar generation going on too.

Watch this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It’s an American piece, but their situation is already way worse than ours, so bear that in mind.
@Chris-S Yes, thanks for bringing some realism to the conversation.

@Pedrohead1 With regard to all the cars in the UK being electric in 2030, again, let's put that into perspective.

Using the government's data on cars licenced (by fuel type) - their latest data which is for 2019, it shows that out of 32.9m cars licenced in the UK,

58.5% are petrol
39.1% are diesel

and just 0.3% are battery electric vehicles, i.e. EVs

Yes, sales of EVs are growing rapidly, but it's going to be a LONG time before even 50% of all the cars licenced on our roads are EVs, let alone all 32.9m running on electricity

Way too much hysteria and melodrama when it comes to EVs.

It's a bit like the panic buying mindset actually. If everyone decided to fill up their fuel tanks at once, the supply chain would collapse - we’ve seen it often enough, get a whiff of a problem and folk lose all sense...exacerbating the problem they were afraid of.

By the time EVs are a significant proportion of vehicles on the road, range (for those that want it) will be more than plenty and folk will have become accustomed to living with an EV and accept that they don't need to have 100% charge at all times any more than an ICE needs a full tank at all times.

Browse any used car classifieds or broker’s site today and you will find plenty of very low delivery mileage electric cars, from Volkswagen ID 3s to Honda Es.

Why so?

For electric cars, pre - registration lays the golden egg of lowering a marques’ fleet-average emissions (therefore avoiding fines and bad press) and freeing up allowances for them to sell higher-emitting cars.

Last edited:
Browse any used car classifieds or broker’s site today and you will find plenty of very low delivery mileage electric cars, from Volkswagen ID 3s to Honda Es.

Why so?

For electric cars, pre - registration lays the golden egg of lowering a marques’ fleet-average emissions (therefore avoiding fines and bad press) and freeing up allowances for them to sell higher-emitting cars.
Same reason that ICE cars are also often pre registered. Stems from the fact they are a high volume mass produced item abeit an expensive one---GOT TO KEEP THEM PRODUCTION LINES MOVIN'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom