New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One thing that I don't think has been made clear - I live in a flat, and have no home charging capability. If I get home, manage to find a place by a charger, and put my car on charge, will I have to move it once it's charged so that someone else can use the charger? Say I get home at 1800, do I have to go out and move the car again at 2100? If I get home late at night and put it on charge overnight, would I still have to get up and move it the next day, even if I didn't want to use it that day?

They might catch a few people drink driving when they are moving to another space!
The thing is Dippo the people who are thinking this stuff up are not thinking about where you live but how horribly polluting your car is , they have no idea how their utopian plan of EV's will pan out . The technical and practicality of their vision is not within their vision, they are the same people who 'create' useless cycle lanes and paint Dutch/Belgian style cycle 'safe' roundabouts that are death-traps for cyclists because UK motorists have no idea what they are and install (paint) them for around £2.4 Million each...instead of the first quote of £800K. The list goes on. Maybe Grother Thankberk has the answer, ask her 🤷‍♂️

LOL The EV argument rolls on.

One of the biggest hurdles is infrastructure. And I don't mean the installing of EV chargers, that's the easy part.

Every utility substation installed is currently running near its capacity, the transformers, switch gear, cables would all need to be upgraded if Ev's were to become main stream to cope with the increase in demand. The costs is astronomical. And the time scale un-realistic.
And of course the power generation would need to be increased.

There are aprox 37 million cars on the road, if they were all EV's and say 10% were one charge at the same time at domestic chargers (7KW) Thats 7Kw x 3.7 million... mmm thats a lot of power......Best put another wind turbine up..

From memory , wasn't there a system where there was a contactless point set into a parking space , or did I imagine it ?

Would it be possible to have contactless charging? Probably the current is too high.
Yes

The thing is Dippo the people who are thinking this stuff up are not thinking about where you live but how horribly polluting your car is , they have no idea how their utopian plan of EV's will pan out . The technical and practicality of their vision is not within their vision, they are the same people who 'create' useless cycle lanes and paint Dutch/Belgian style cycle 'safe' roundabouts that are death-traps for cyclists because UK motorists have no idea what they are and install (paint) them for around £2.4 Million each...instead of the first quote of £800K. The list goes on. Maybe Grother Thankberk has the answer, ask her 🤷‍♂️

Totally agree. They are also likely to have substantial salaries (able to afford new technology) and live in a nice detached or semi with drive/garage (no problem with charging)

Electrified road - £1.4 million per mile. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a very expensive scaletrix track.

LOL The EV argument rolls on.

One of the biggest hurdles is infrastructure. And I don't mean the installing of EV chargers, that's the easy part.

Every utility substation installed is currently running near its capacity, the transformers, switch gear, cables would all need to be upgraded if Ev's were to become main stream to cope with the increase in demand. The costs is astronomical. And the time scale un-realistic.
And of course the power generation would need to be increased.

There are aprox 37 million cars on the road, if they were all EV's and say 10% were one charge at the same time at domestic chargers (7KW) Thats 7Kw x 3.7 million... mmm thats a lot of power......Best put another wind turbine up..

And you can add the increased electricity consumption used for heating homes when gas heating is banned. Even if it's heat pumps with a decent coefficient of performance it's still on average going to be and additional 4000 kWh per year for each house.

And you can add the increased electricity consumption used for heating homes when gas heating is banned. Even if it's heat pumps with a decent coefficient of performance it's still on average going to be and additional 4000 kWh per year for each house.
Add to that the extra electric heaters you'll need to get your ground source heating up to a comfortable temparature over the winter. I've spoken to people who have this system and it just isn't sufficient to heat the house .

Add to that the extra electric heaters you'll need to get your ground source heating up to a comfortable temparature over the winter. I've spoken to people who have this system and it just isn't sufficient to heat the house .
It should only be installed in homes that are extremely well insulated, ground source pumps and in themselves very efficient.

It should only be installed in homes that are extremely well insulated, ground source pumps and in themselves very efficient.
A good ground source heat pump is 600% efficient, an air source 400%+ and stays so during its 20 year life expectancy.

A good gas boiler is 90% efficient but that tails off over its 10-12 year life expectancy.

Electrified road - £1.4 million per mile. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a very expensive scaletrix track.

I saw a figure of £92 million per mile stated for the Edinburgh tram.

A good ground source heat pump is 600% efficient, an air source 400%+ and stays so during its 20 year life expectancy.

A good gas boiler is 90% efficient but that tails off over its 10-12 year life expectancy.
I have no doubt that the figures are correct but can the system keep the house warm enough in the winter , quoting efficiency figures is a bit of smoke and mirrors.

I have no doubt that the figures are correct but can the system keep the house warm enough in the winter , quoting efficiency figures is a bit of smoke and mirrors.
Yes it can.

More heat pumps were fitted in Germany (it’s established technology in Northern Europe) than gas boilers last year and I’d suggest that if they were as bad as so many have heard about then I doubt they’d have installed so many...

The only “smoke and mirrors” with regard efficiency is that gas is approximately 1/4 price of electricity so an air source will roughly be cost neutral but a ground source blows gas out of the water. Throw in the RHI payments that pays your heating bill for seven years and they’re a no-brainer.

It might be better to call them Realists rather than Luddites , only time will tell. ;)
Let’s revisit this thread in five years time and see...

The electrification of heating and motoring is hurtling ahead, whether a load of petrolheads like it or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s revisit this thread in five years time and see...
In my diary 👍 I have no problem with EV , have a nice two car garage attached to the house, both cars are always garaged so no problem getting them charged and don't do much mileage. My comments are directed purely at the timescale ,there are areas of this country that haven't even got broadband or a decent mobile signal .

The only “smoke and mirrors” with regard efficiency is that gas is approximately 1/4 price of electricity so an air source will roughly be cost neutral but a ground source blows gas out of the water. Throw in the RHI payments that pays your heating bill for seven years and they’re a no-brainer.

I'm in need of a replacement boiler, not because there is anything wrong with the old one, it's a 100% reliable cast iron job so not very efficient. I'm wondering now whether to wait until heat pumps become mainstream. I expect a ground source heat pump is several times more expensive than a replacement boiler though.

^^^ Or a Bank, Library , cash point machine. doctors surgery , Dentist ,Post office, Police station (Police presence) , bus service , Uber coverage, Mcdonalds , KFC , corner shop , massage parlour ,etc etc . Please feel free to pick out the ones you don't need , the ones that you do might still be missing.

In the modern world it is read that no one needs any of the above that's why they are all disappearing . That's progress I suppose. I agree with Scooby, EV's are the future and I am far from a Luddite . But time will indeed tell , and EV's are not going to be a viable proposition in the UK any time soon.

I'm in need of a replacement boiler, not because there is anything wrong with the old one, it's a 100% reliable cast iron job so not very efficient. I'm wondering now whether to wait until heat pumps become mainstream. I expect a ground source heat pump is several times more expensive than a replacement boiler though.
What’s the age and sqm of your house and I’ll give you a rough idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom