New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife and I actually got stopped by the police once in Florida when we tried walking to a pizza place close to the villa we were staying in. They seemed to think that anybody trying to walk was up to no good!
Had the same thing happen when walking in Miami with my wife and two young kids. However, rather than thinking we were up to no good, I suspect they were more concerned with our safety and that we’d strayed into an area where it wasn’t wise to walk.

When in New York more recently with my wife I asked the concierge at our hotel near Times Square for the best route to walk down to Brooklyn Bridge. He told me which station to walk to and which train to get. When I said that we wanted to walk all the way he looked at us as though we were mad, then shrugged his shoulders and turned to a colleague whilst exclaiming ”They want to walk to Brooklyn!” We made our own way and it was an easy walk. It seems that legs are becoming redundant.

COP26: Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate report

QUOTE:-
An adviser to the Saudi oil ministry demands "phrases like 'the need for urgent and accelerated mitigation actions at all scales…' should be eliminated from the report".
One senior Australian government official rejects the conclusion that closing coal-fired power plants is necessary, even though ending the use of coal is one of the stated objectives the COP26 conference.
Saudi Arabia is the one of the largest oil producers in the world and Australia is a major coal exporter.

THE PHRASE - VESTED INTEREST SEEMS APPROPRIATE

Had the same thing happen when walking in Miami with my wife and two young kids. However, rather than thinking we were up to no good, I suspect they were more concerned with our safety and that we’d strayed into an area where it wasn’t wise to walk.

We have had several holidays in the US and Canada. One common practice we developed was not to hire a car at the airport. Public transport from the airport to down town Ottawa for example is readily available and a car is just a liability in the city which was compact enough to walk around and we even walked out across the river to Gatineau. When we had explored the city we would then pick up the hire car and set off into the country. The only time that got us in trouble was in Boston where we walked out to MIT and then Harvard university. Harvard like most red brick universities was originally built in the countryside before the Boston suburbs expanded. On the way we found ourselves in a less than salubrious district with hardly a white face to be seen except ours (not a racist comment just a simple fact). We must have stuck out like a sore thumb and It felt distinctly uncomfortable, So walking is fine but there are some places in big cities where it's not the smart thing to do.

We have had several holidays in the US and Canada. One common practice we developed was not to hire a car at the airport. Public transport from the airport to down town Ottawa for example is readily available and a car is just a liability in the city which was compact enough to walk around and we even walked out across the river to Gatineau. When we had explored the city we would then pick up the hire car and set off into the country. The only time that got us in trouble was in Boston where we walked out to MIT and then Harvard university. Harvard like most red brick universities was originally built in the countryside before the Boston suburbs expanded. On the way we found ourselves in a less than salubrious district with hardly a white face to be seen except ours (not a racist comment just a simple fact). We must have stuck out like a sore thumb and It felt distinctly uncomfortable, So walking is fine but there are some places in big cities where it's not the smart thing to do.
I’ve thought the same thing about London. Born and bred in Paddington, as a youngster a walk into central London was a treat, loved every minute, plenty to see on the way in, Little Venice, Hyde Park and into Oxford Street….brilliant.
Sadly as bold and fit as I am in my 72nd year, I wouldn’t dream of doing the same now.
As expensive as that area is now 🙄 the walk would be a less than dubious pleasure.

COP26: Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate report

QUOTE:-
An adviser to the Saudi oil ministry demands "phrases like 'the need for urgent and accelerated mitigation actions at all scales…' should be eliminated from the report".
One senior Australian government official rejects the conclusion that closing coal-fired power plants is necessary, even though ending the use of coal is one of the stated objectives the COP26 conference.
Saudi Arabia is the one of the largest oil producers in the world and Australia is a major coal exporter.

THE PHRASE - VESTED INTEREST SEEMS APPROPRIATE
Yes, vested interests but not wholly negligent.
From the article:
''A number of countries argue in favour of emerging and currently expensive technologies designed to capture and permanently store carbon dioxide underground. Saudi Arabia, China, Australia and Japan - all big producers or users of fossil fuels - as well as the organisation of oil producing nations, Opec, all support carbon capture and storage (CCS).
It is claimed these CCS technologies could dramatically cut fossil fuel emissions from power plants and some industrial sectors.''

This reminds me of when major car manufacturers campaigned against the mandatory use of catalytic convertors which due to their nature imposed inferior fuel efficiency (thus increased CO2 emissions) compared to the lean burn technologies that some wanted to develop but that catalytic convertor legislation made impossible. Thus, the petrol engine was doomed to be thirsty and easy prey when diesels went common rail. Now, with diesel emissions being problematic to say the least, petrol is now a viable alternative precisely because of lean burn technology that was in effect outlawed 30 years ago.

We should not be ignoring the potential of fossil fuel generated electricity combined with CCS when it is obvious that all the electricity required cannot be generated by the proposed acceptable methods. Impose the CO2 reduction target yes, but not the method by which it is achieved. Without global consensus, the goal will be unachievable. The concerns of others have to be heard and not dismissed as mere 'lobbying'.

More worrying is the push-back against meat consumption curbs by countries who's engagement thus far has been tenuous at best.

I’ve thought the same thing about London. Born and bred in Paddington, as a youngster a walk into central London was a treat, loved every minute, plenty to see on the way in, Little Venice, Hyde Park and into Oxford Street….brilliant.
Sadly as bold and fit as I am in my 72nd year, I wouldn’t dream of doing the same now.
As expensive as that area is now 🙄 the walk would be a less than dubious pleasure.
I was born and bred in Ealing and on a few occasions found myself coming out of places like Ronnie Scott’s long after the trains had stopped running for the night, so I had to walk home. Sometimes that long walk was alone, but I never felt at threat in any way. I still don’t feel I’ll at ease at any time walking around London, but I’m probably more careful in my choices of which routes to take.

Unfamiliarity is probably the biggest cause for concern. The only time I’ve ever been really worried was one night in Sydney when I took a guess at a shortcut back to my hotel. Coming across a group of druggies with all their eyes burning into me made for an extremely brisk walk! I’ve walked through shanty towns in India and the Far East without too much worry, and even strolled through a Johannesburg township at the height of Apartheid without fearing for my life. I kept my eyes open for early warnings of possible issues, but didn’t have my heart pounding like a pile driver against my rib cage.

We done the same thing in Vancouver and Las Vegas. After a few days exploring the cities on foot we’ve hired a car and explored the wider region. (British Columbia and through the Rockies was amazing.)

Same here. In my late twenties I lived in Bayswater and worked in Bond St. When the weather was good I walked through the park to work and back.

I worked in a pub on the Bayswater rd in the mid 80's and often walked to Oxford Street and back in the evening, occasionally even further. I was a lot younger then though!

Where did Methuselah go....?

Where did Methuselah go....?
Don't know. But we do know pretty much everywhere he's been prior. The topic being discussed as I recall was who is prepared to walk more now.
That the thread took to a 'where I was on my holidays' turning is one more sign of how lessening international travel is going to be a tough nut to crack. Ditto other (and easier) changes. I sometimes wonder if we are overly focusing on personal transportation in the climate change debate to the exclusion of what else needs to happen/stop.

Not even electric cars will be free as huge changes coming​

The article isn't very clear with regards to what will actually happen.

But TfL has made a dog breakfast here.

There is no reason why vehicles with zero exhaust emissions will be exempt from congestion charging, given that they are contributing to congestion like any other car.

And equally there's no reason why a zero exhaust emissions will actually pay the ULEZ charge.

Neither make sense.

To my mind, what needs to happen, is that each vehicle travelling through London should pay a fix daily charge. No need to call it by misleading names, and no need to exempt anyone (other than some categories of people such as blue badge holders etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom