New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD

I'll probably be driving an electric or hybrid by then anyway. I've nothing against electric cars per se, and once the range problem is cracked, the charging infrastructure is good enough, and prices have come down to something sensible, I'll be quite happy to buy one. I'll be in my eighties then, though, so insurance might be a problem for anything with half-decent performance...

I'll probably be driving an electric or hybrid by then anyway. I've nothing against electric cars per se, and once the range problem is cracked, the charging infrastructure is good enough, and prices have come down to something sensible, I'll be quite happy to buy one. I'll be in my eighties then, though, so insurance might be a problem for anything with half-decent performance...
I've already decided which one I'm probably going to go for, but like you and many others, the price is the main stumbling point for me so I won't be switching anytime soon.

The question is, will manufacturers reduce their IC output before the cutoff date and how will it affect prices of the last new cars and used "desirable" models?

I never thought I'd have a diesel.

Until I got one.

20 years ago would I have assumed by now I would been driving a hybrid or EV.

But I haven't got one. And moreover there's not really any product out there that makes sense to me.

Conventional hybrids are by and large a disappointment. PHEVs are a refinement of them. The failure of hybrids to make headway after a couple of decades shuold raise questions. The lack of hybrid vans and LGVs is a significant commercial critics of their actual viability. Diesel rules commercial vehicles.

EVs are being sold with subsidies with a substantial sector of the market being toys for the well off. I think that also classifies them as being a disappointment.

So if brand new petrol and diesel cars are banned, that's a problem? Not really, as many people cannot afford to buy new cars anyway because the price is far too high! Therefore if the new Electric/hybrid whatever car is too expensive to buy then drivers will keep their existing cars for longer. Sales of the new cars will plummet, so a serious subsidy/grant system will have to be put in place. Certainly not as low as the £3,000 to get rid of old diesels a few years ago, it will have to be much more than that to get people to change over.

Once this is introduced (and it might be just noise and posturing by the Government about reducing the timeline currently) it will be interesting to see how the purchase of levels of new EV cars hold up against the IC varieties that preceded them. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread it is the lack of infrastructure that is the current issue for EV's, as well as the need to wait for 45 minutes each time you stop for a decent charge. If these can be improved then sales will certainly be stronger than they currently are. However, EV's are still prohibitively expensive to buy and manufacturers could be left with production line scales that require a set number of cars to be built per day to be efficient with no guarantee these will be sold off the forecourt. That failure to sell could lead to significant redundancies and fingers being pointed at the Government of the time for failing to manage the transition to EV's correctly.

The conversion of filling station to charging stations is going to be an interesting one as well. When I pull into a petrol station and it is busy I don't mind waiting the 5 minutes for the car in front to fill up, pay and drive away. If I'm in an EV and there is a queue for charging points with a minimum 20 minute wait for one to become free before I can get my minimum 45 minute charge the addition journey time will put off many people.

Lots to be ironed out before EV's become mainstream and 10 years is too short a timeframe for this to happen in my view.

The whole EV thing is still in its infancy (yes I know the first cars ever made were electric, but you know what I mean) and big problems are already looming. One being (at the moment) more than half of the worlds Cobalt is mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo, OK, something else might turn up in the future but that is a fact today , not the most stable of places add to that the 'alleged dubious' mining practices....

Closer to home some councils are looking into the 'street charging' aspect of EV's and it has been reported that these councils have already decided that if a 3rd party is injured by tripping on a charge cable etc the cars owner will be 100% liable despite the fact that the council owns and installed the charge point...they don't own the cable, that's your responsibility pal.

Next , some councils are discussing (fighting) over who has to pay for installing roadside charge points , and more importantly who pays to maintain them and who gets the revenue . we have been here before....'speed cameras' (Swindon if I recall) when the government announced that revenue from speed cameras would be pooled at central government but councils still had to maintain and service the cameras Swindon town council simply switched them all off. That is how I (vaguely) remember it. Someone on here will put me right. But I digress.

Taxpayer funded grants are available to councils to install such charging points in residential areas but it appears a loophole allows them to fit them instead in town centre carparks using the grant.....many town centre carparks are privately owned these days..

Boris (or those really in charge) want us to go 'green' (green...yeah..right) by 2030 but less than 20% of UK councils have on-street charging points for EV's. It's taken over 40 years to decide to bury the A303 going past Stonehenge (which is still not a done deal) so don't hold your breath for the BIG GREEN in 2030.

EV's for all (that can afford them) is coming. but not any time soon.

Time to start saving for the biggest, noisiest, most polluting car I can find in the next ten years :)
...and i bet when you find it it will be a classic so tax & MOT exempt and ULEZ compliant if you were of a mind to drive around central London. Worlds gone mad.

Massive American V8 or a huge Cummins V8 diesel truck. :p

Time to start saving for the biggest, noisiest, most polluting car I can find in the next ten years :)
I may not have stockpiled toilet rolls, pasta and rice earlier this year, but I'm well ahead on stockpiling cars with very large engines.

I understand the need to move away from IC. But what percentage of people will be able to afford an EV, so will stay with IC - and what is the betting that VED and fuel tax will be raised to "encourage" people to change to EV. Buy used? Well yes, but in the first place there will not be huge number available and secondly from what I understand the batteries have a limited life currently, so could people afford to buy used together with a new battery?

In any case, isn't electric a stop-gap until something better comes along? At one stage, hydrogen was the future wasn't it?

Let's not even go into what will replace the tax revenue from petrol/diesel.........

In any case, isn't electric a stop-gap until something better comes along? At one stage, hydrogen was the future wasn't it?
I'll wait until the thorium powered car comes on stream...

So come 2028/29 there'll be a mad rush to get new ICE cars before the ban , people who can afford new, the prices of second hand cars will rocket with the mad rush of people who can't afford new ICE cars trying to get something that will last them as long as possible after the ban. Come 2030 new car sales in the UK will collapse as the vast majority of motorists will still have no access to a charging point. What a well thought out plan.
I'm pushing 70 now so not too bothered about the ban I might just pop across the channel and get my car , I wonder what the rules on importing an ICE car will be after 2030 ??

As already mentioned, cobalt (amongst other raw materials) is a real issue at the moment, with an estimated 60% of the world's resource locked up in the DRC, and even if it could be magically 'unlocked', then there is not enough to make more that a few 100 million cars. And then we have no more cobalt. For anything.

But at least in the DRC there is proven child slave labour in the mines, so when buying electric at the moment you should understand that you have that on your clear green conscience. The car advertisers and any of those with vested interests in promoting this route are not so keen to shout about that and the serous transparency issues in the supply chain.

Electric has to be part of the move to green, but we should just be very mindful of terrible consequences we know about, but choose to ignore because it's convenient.

I wonder what time scale to get fossil fuels cars off our roads will be when this happens , 10 years ... ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom