New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No Chinese have just nabbed it all with Afghanistan , Copper ,Cobalt and that Lithium magic metal . The Saudi Arabia of Lithium.
A defunct copper mine has just been reopened in Ghan by the Chinese. Surprise surprise.
If you snooze, you lose remember.
Tuercas Viejas
Gates and his fellow "Breakthrough Energy Ventures" investors Bezos, Branson, Jack Ma and Bloomberg are planning to ruin Greenland in search of rare metals.

I think the UK will be using gas for a few decades yet as well. Gas is really the best bridge to renewables.
Possibly but your post reminds me of a verbal confrontation with a social studies professor at Lille U over North Sea Oil & Gas by this Sorbonne PHD, Monsieur Tromper who cleaned who cleaned my clock as a young guy with some home truths.
I have never forgotten its and clearly he despised Brits & hated Americans.
I clear angered him over boasting about North Sea oil & gas.

I would/could argue the case that much of the problems now faced by Brits (as a Brit) is that the current energy situation has been brought about by & enacted by, feckless politicians of both political reflections and policies enacted ever since M Thatcher.

For starters!
As an engineering exchange student in France in the late 1970's the liberal studies professor who again obviously hated Brits and Yanks singled me out chided me in class for the fact that Quote:-

"Your island has been given a gift of North Sea oil but history will prove that you will squander as nation. Its to paying for gross inefficiency, propping up of inefficient British Industries and providing a military you can't afford. You had an Empire, you have lost it to competition and you have a diminished identity!
You will then be forced to us French for nuclear energy and we will take you the poor house because you will have to pay for it not steal it a like you have been doing for centuries" !

Phew it was a put down I have never forgotten!
Talk about a clock cleaning session--phew !

Well that prediction created a tumultuous applause from the mainly French alumni and sadly much of his words have come to fruition except its more the Chinese and the Indians who are the masters these days .

Tuecas viejas

Possibly but your post reminds me of a verbal confrontation with a social studies professor at Lille U over North Sea Oil & Gas by this Sorbonne PHD, Monsieur Tromper who cleaned who cleaned my clock as a young guy with some home truths.
I have never forgotten its and clearly he despised Brits & hated Americans.
I clear angered him over boasting about North Sea oil & gas.

I would/could argue the case that much of the problems now faced by Brits (as a Brit) is that the current energy situation has been brought about by & enacted by, feckless politicians of both political reflections and policies enacted ever since M Thatcher.

For starters!
As an engineering exchange student in France in the late 1970's the liberal studies professor who again obviously hated Brits and Yanks singled me out chided me in class for the fact that Quote:-

"Your island has been given a gift of North Sea oil but history will prove that you will squander as nation. Its to paying for gross inefficiency, propping up of inefficient British Industries and providing a military you can't afford. You had an Empire, you have lost it to competition and you have a diminished identity!
You will then be forced to us French for nuclear energy and we will take you the poor house because you will have to pay for it not steal it a like you have been doing for centuries" !

Phew it was a put down I have never forgotten!
Talk about a clock cleaning session--phew !

Well that prediction created a tumultuous applause from the mainly French alumni and sadly much of his words have come to fruition except its more the Chinese and the Indians who are the masters these days .

Tuecas viejas
Yes agree, when you compare how the UK have managed the N Sea assets compared to the Norwegians! The Norwegian sector is still highly active with exploration and resulting new finds - as 78% of exploration costs by operators can be clawed back as tax breaks. something Like 10 times the level of exploration activity compared to UK. Then you also look at how Norway has managed the resultant revenue, with a max of a few % the Government can take for their own use, the bulk being reinvested and put in the Soverign Wealth Fund which now now stands at $1.3 trillion. Some of the investments mature over 100 years or more! My Norwegian colleagues delight in telling me as we stroll down Oxford Street “We own most of this...”

I did wonder whether Shale Gas in the UK would give us a second chance. It still might as all the indications looked good (I was involved with the key operators - remove Cuadrilla from the equation though as they just did a bad job). Politically challenging though, but maybe paying back COVID debt will focus the Governments mind and the moratorium on fracking will be lifted, who knows. The Government strategy for shale gas was always to support the energy transition over a 40 year period.

Then you also look at how Norway has managed the resultant revenue, with a max of a few % the Government can take for their own use, the bulk being reinvested and put in the Soverign Wealth Fund which now now stands at $1.3 trillion. Some of the investments mature over 100 years or more! My Norwegian colleagues delight in telling me as we stroll down Oxford Street “We own most of this...”

I've pointed out before - Norway has a signifcantly smaller population than the UK. Significantly different economy. The difference in per-capita income from oil?

(This is where Scotland would have been in an interstingly similar situation had it been independent in the 70s).

As regards 'owning all of this' .... well that kind of indicates how (a) investment spreads the money and (b) the issue of dependency on other economies to get a return on that investment.

The pricing war has started .
Chevy is in the ring with a 10G's cheaper MSRP
Tuercas Viejas

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

UNFORTUNATELY not sold on the British market----yet-despite the fact it must be easier to produce RHD versions of any EV vehicle. Maybe they got their fingers burnt with the ill fated VOLT?

Extinction Rebellion founder admits she drives a diesel car

Another good article which makes the valid point that although she gave as an excuse that she couldn't afford an electric car the fact is there are millions poorer than her and it is they who will suffer most under Extinction Rebellion policies. Hypocrites doesn't begin to describe them, I'd call them something closer to criminals and they should be treated as such if they cause mayhem with their protests.

Press esc as the page loads The hypocrisy of Extinction Rebellion's leaders is both predictable and outrageous

Hypocrites doesn't begin to describe them, I'd call them something closer to criminals and they should be treated as such if they cause mayhem with their protests.
Absolutely spot on. These ludicrous hypocrites want locking up. That is after they’ve been made to cover the cost of Policing plus any damage caused by their ‘ protest ‘

Another difficulty with the the legislation prohibiting sale of new ICE cars, is that EVs do nothing to reduce road congestion.

Road congestion has a direct effect on the economy via loss of working time, on pollution levels via dust from brakes and tyres, and on road safety - the more cars on our roads, the more accidents (statistically).

I have no particular opinion on EVs either way.

But last night my diesel light came on at 10.30pm on my way home. I missed Sainsbury's petrol station by seconds. I had to be at work at 5am today so at 4am I am driving around trying to find a petrol station open.

If I had a EV it would taken seconds to plug in when I got home and ready to go in the morning, simples :rolleyes:

But last night my diesel light came on at 10.30pm on my way home. I missed Sainsbury's petrol station by seconds. I had to be at work at 5am today so at 4am I am driving around trying to find a petrol station open.

If I had a EV it would taken seconds to plug in when I got home and ready to go in the morning, simples :rolleyes:

My EV is due to be delivered later this week...

In all honesty, I believe that charging an EV is simply a different process to refueling, but not necessarily a more onerous one. For some, it will be more difficult, for others it will actually be easier. But overall it will be the case that one set of actions will replace another, rather than matters becoming more complicated across the board.

With relatively few EV’s actually on the road, firing up a coal fired power station as we’re obviously desperately short on grid capability is not a great sign for the future though is it 🤔😳

With relatively few EV’s actually on the road, firing up a coal fired power station as we’re obviously desperately short on grid capability is not a great sign for the future though is it 🤔😳
It must be down to the cold snap we're not having.

I guess you're commute is local.
But to contradict that when my 211 low fuel light comes up I can get at least another 30 miles, but more like 50 or 60.

It doesn't really matter what powers our mo mo's we will need to anticipate distances, top up locations and if we are able to get there in time. With EV's more so until they have a reliably greater range.

WON'T BE AN OPTION AFTER NEXT YEAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom