New petrol and diesel car sales will be 'banned from 2030'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I won't tell anyone 😏
Id love a wireless filling point for the AMG but i doubt that will happen

I won't tell anyone 😏
Id love a wireless filling point for the AMG but i doubt that will happen
Maybe not for ICE only AMG modes, but maybe E Performance models will in future.

As far as I’m aware, in the UK there’s only static induction chargers in public places, however there are stretches of road with induction loops embedded in test facilities, but you didn’t hear that from me, right? 👀

Edited to add: but there are sections of public road outside of the UK which are already used for testing.

Electricity on the move... hmmm... do you mean something like this....:

images.jpgc

:D

We'll be flying in little city pods by then which travel on laser beams.

You can fly high today on magic mushrooms.

Seeing as she is talking long before self-driving cars are a reality, how does she propose to get the car to me and the car returned when I'm finished with it? Does the driver who delivered it to me stay in my house until I return while I use the car or do I have to deliver them somewhere - or do they drive off in their car transporter? Has anyone considered just how many more miles and congestion this creates?
Most of what she is blabbing about already exists - taxi!

Reactions: m80
Seeing as she is talking long before self-driving cars are a reality, how does she propose to get the car to me and the car returned when I'm finished with it? Does the driver who delivered it to me stay in my house until I return while I use the car or do I have to deliver them somewhere - or do they drive off in their car transporter? Has anyone considered just how many more miles and congestion this creates?
Most of what she is blabbing about already exists - taxi!

I think you are focusing on the less densely-populated areas of the UK.

However, the majority of the UK population lives in urban areas, where private car ownership and private car journeys are quite often more a matter of convenience than necessity, and this is where the bulk of reduction in ownership and usage of private cars will occur.

Obviously, some people will still need to continue and use private cars, either because of the location where they live, or due to personal circumstances (mobility issues, working nights shifts, erc). There's no suggestion of a total ban on private car ownership, just a significant reduction.

I remember how in the olden days the value of a property in London was significantly affected by the proximity to an underground station, with adverts typically mentioning '5 minutes walk from....' or '10 minutes walk from...' [name of underground station]. This has largely gone now that almost every family has a car (or two). Perhaps something similar will become commonplace again in future, with ads emphasising the proximity of a property to public transport and to car sharing locations.

I think you are focusing on the less densely-populated areas of the UK.

However, the majority of the UK population lives in urban areas, where private car ownership and private car journeys are quite often more a matter of convenience than necessity, and this is where the bulk of reduction in ownership and usage of private cars will occur.

Obviously, some people will still need to continue and use private cars, either because of the location where they live, or due to personal circumstances (mobility issues, working nights shifts, erc). There's no suggestion of a total ban on private car ownership, just a significant reduction.

I remember how in the olden days the value of a property in London was significantly affected by the proximity to an underground station, with adverts typically mentioning '5 minutes walk from....' or '10 minutes walk from...' [name of underground station]. This has largely gone now that almost every family has a car (or two). Perhaps something similar will become commonplace again in future, with ads emphasising the proximity of a property to public transport and to car sharing locations.
The majority of humans, given the choice, dont like sharing confined spaces with strangers. This is particularly true in the current climate of ‘everyone has a disease I must avoid them at all costs’ way of thinking. Whilst there is a demand for some form of public/shared transport, people prefer their own! Witness the huge drop in train and tube usage.

With more and more people realising they don’t actually have to go into the office, We are seeing a shift in property demands and pricing. Areas farther out from large conurbations are seeing house price rises. Long may it continue.

Humans by nature are competitive and will strive to better themselves over their neighbour. There will always be a demand for personal transport be it a flying electric pod, motorcycle, car or whatever.

The majority of humans, given the choice, dont like sharing confined spaces with strangers. This is particularly true in the current climate of ‘everyone has a disease I must avoid them at all costs’ way of thinking. Whilst there is a demand for some form of public/shared transport, people prefer their own! Witness the huge drop in train and tube usage.

With more and more people realising they don’t actually have to go into the office, We are seeing a shift in property demands and pricing. Areas farther out from large conurbations are seeing house price rises. Long may it continue.

Humans by nature are competitive and will strive to better themselves over their neighbour. There will always be a demand for personal transport be it a flying electric pod, motorcycle, car or whatever.

I agree with all the points you raised.

That said, I also think that trying to satisfy the demand for personal transport is unsustainable. Not suggesting we should eliminate personal transport, just rethink how we go about better managing it while ensuring that those who need it most can continue and do so, at the 'expense' of those who won't be greatly inconvenienced without it.

The idea and option has been around for years, it’s nothing new. I lived in central London 25 years ago and it was around then - and it still hasn’t taken off in a big way.

For me it’s about choice.

Interesting clip (in spite of the somewhat childish background images):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And, Dr Dieter Zetsche in on the board of Factorial Energy.

(Skip straight to 4:00 if you're only interested in the MB info)

Last edited:
Looks as if EV propulsion might further reduce manufacture [ on cost grounds] down to just 2 or 3 giant conglomerates who share battery technology/ development over all their brands?

This makes a lot of sense.

On one hand, you don't want to have only a single manufacturer. On the other, not many companies will make that kind of investment - unless they can forecast a significant market share. In these circumstances, two or three companies competing is actually the optimal solution.

We currently have that with computer hardware e.g. microprocessors where the market is dominated by Intel, with AMD keeping them to task, and Apple developing their own M1 chip, and with software e.g. the mobile phone OS market is divided mostly between MacOS and Android (and a handful of other very small niche providers).

Sounds like the way forward.

A new public charging station popped-up at the end of our road over the Christmas break. It says 'Fast Charging' but it's not clear how fast (until you start the selection process on the display, which I didn't do yet). It has three different charging cables, one of which says DC, so it's probably at least 50kW. Prices are 29p PAYG or 25p with a monthly subscription costing £4.95. There are also special rates for Black Cabs. I am assuming that these rates apply to the slowest charging option, because the faster you go the more expensive the electricity.

The key differences between these public charging stations and the lampost chargers is that you can park for as long as you like next to a lampost charger, but you need to have a valid Residents Parking Permit for the zone, while at public charging stations anyone can park, but for a limited time only (varies from 1 to 4 hours). So these public charging stations are mainly for the use of people travelling into the area, or anyone who needs to charge their EV in a hurry (the lampost chargers are quite slow ar 5.5kW).

So it seems that Westminster Council has more budget than others. I think that EV ownership will likely be very differential in the near future, with some boroughs making it very simple and easy while others are being less helpful.

A new public charging station popped-up at the end of our road over the Christmas break. It says 'Fast Charging' but it's not clear how fast (until you start the selection process on the display, which I didn't do yet). It has three different charging cables, one of which says DC, so it's probably at least 50kW. Prices are 29p PAYG or 25p with a monthly subscription costing £4.95. There are also special rates for Black Cabs. I am assuming that these rates apply to the slowest charging option, because the faster you go the more expensive the electricity.

The key differences between these public charging stations and the lampost chargers is that you can park for as long as you like next to a lampost charger, but you need to have a valid Residents Parking Permit for the zone, while at public charging stations anyone can park, but for a limited time only (varies from 1 to 4 hours). So these public charging stations are mainly for the use of people travelling into the area, or anyone who needs to charge their EV in a hurry (the lampost chargers are quite slow ar 5.5kW).

So it seems that Westminster Council has more budget than others. I think that EV ownership will likely be very differential in the near future, with some boroughs making it very simple and easy while others are being less helpful.
More budget? Check out their balance sheet. Richest borough in the UK run by a bunch of pricks. I’ve lived and worked in the borough for over 30 years.

More budget? Check out their balance sheet. Richest borough in the UK run by a bunch of pricks. I’ve lived and worked in the borough for over 30 years.

I have to admit that I don't know much about the 'bunch' (ahmm..) that runs it, but they certainly do seem to be a rich borough if they can spend that much on charging infrastructure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom