New phone advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Hi all.

My 'trusty' Moto V8 has died after a long and intensely disappointing life.

I will not have another Motorola anything every again.

Question is - what to go for now? My contract is up in a few days anyway, so I have a clean sheet to go with. I'm currently on Orange, but obviously I don't have to stay with them.

The handset is the real key though. Plus I need to integrate with the S211 COMAND as I spend so much time in there.

I fancy the SAP2 bluetooth cradle for the car, and I would probably prefer a Nokia handset. Anything with battery life and reception so you can actually make calls!!!! Something Motorola clearly forgot about in their rush for style over substance. :wallbash:

Orange are going to get a keen discussion from me anyway on the subject of quality free 'upgrades' as rewards for my loyalty, as this was how I got lumbered with the $h1t V8 to start with. I will attempt to persuade them that they bl**dy well owe me one!

Which handset though? Orange are currently offering the Nokia E75 which looks the best spec of the Nokias they have at the moment, but what do you, dear readers, think?

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Cheers,

corned

Last edited:
In terms of discussionso of upgrade you will find it most beneficial to speak to retention rather than upgrade!

I use an old V3 with a mercedes V3 cradle that is also bluetooth - can't say I have had any problems with Motorola - wifey same phone - no problems either...we are both on Vodafone - perhaps that's the difference..

Hi Crockers.

I used to have a V3 and thought it was excellent. Had a K1 after that (which I am now using again as the V8 is broken) which was OK but not as good as the V3. The V8 has been crap right from the outset. Oddly enough, it only really worked properly once plugged into the Mercedes phone cradle I bought for it.

I have been looking round all the phone companies to see what they are offering and I note with interest that none of them offer Motorola products any more. I reckon I might not be alone in being very dissatisfied!

Anyway - anyone got any thoughts on the Nokia E75, or any others?

Nokia

Hi all,

even a year on, I still like my Nokia N95 8Gb. It may be a little chunky but it's a huge improvement on the original N95. Very reliable so far.

Battery life is OK, although I do have a charger in the car, hidden under the COMAND unit so the phone can charge with the ashtray lid closed - nice and tidy...

It also works well with the SAP bluetooth module in the car.

Cheers,
Eddie.

As always it depends upon what you want the phone for, as well as the basics of making calls. If you don't want or need all the features of the E75 like the qwerty keyboard, the Nokia 6220 Classic has a great featureset in a very light package. It does feel very plasticky and fragile but I've had one since November last year and it's absolutely fine, with the big bonus that I never feel like I'm carrying a brick around with me.

My priorities are as follows:

1. Reception,
2. Call quality,
3. Integration with SAP module/COMAND - texts on COMAND screen would be very handy,
4. Battery life,
5. Camera is handy on occasions but large MP counts are unnecessary,
6. Easy of use,
7. Any Other Business.

Hi all,

even a year on, I still like my Nokia N95 8Gb. It may be a little chunky but it's a huge improvement on the original N95. Very reliable so far.

Battery life is OK, although I do have a charger in the car, hidden under the COMAND unit so the phone can charge with the ashtray lid closed - nice and tidy...

It also works well with the SAP bluetooth module in the car.

Cheers,
Eddie.

Eddie, in what ways is the 8GB N95 better than the stock N95?

Would it be better to go for an N97?

I had 3 V3's (only due to getting offered them free every 9 months) on my last upgrade offer I simply asked for another but they only had V9's.

I've been just as happy with that. I won't bother with anything other than Motorola. - I'm on Vodafone, had the same account for over 12 years and see no reason to change...it works almost everywhere I need it to.

Well in the space of a month i went through a few phones..
1.htc diamond touch....screen not responsive enough and not loud enough
2.blackberry storm...screen went after two days
3.lg arena 900..just oh so boring with everything about it and the os is not as slick as the iphone
4.iphone 16gb...good phone actually and i kept this one but it doesnt really do anything for me,plus everyman and his dog has one..i've actually bought a mini iphone here in hong kong,obviously a copy but tremendous fun
5.nokia e75...best of the lot imo...does everything i want that feels "premium"
and uploads contact to my z4,dunno bout your merc though
6.gonna look at the new samsung i8910 looks good...can tell you next week

Nokia n95 8GB is a superb phone had mine just over a year now with no issues, saying that im leaving all the gizmo's behind in a few weeks and buying the Nokia 6700 classic, going by your priorities list i would say your be more than happy with one too.

I've just taken a Nokia 5800 as a replacement for my 'broken' Blackberry Curve.

Both are great phones, the Blackberry has the edge on some features but the Nokia is streets ahead on most. It's cost me about £20 on apps to match some of the Blackberry functionality (back light on whilst charging and PDF reader) but I'd still recommend it

Eddie, in what ways is the 8GB N95 better than the stock N95?

Would it be better to go for an N97?

Hi Baron,

the build quality on the original N95 was dire - the slide action was very rattly, and it all just felt sub-par for Nokia - and not just the one I had. Also the battery life is considerably better (anecdotally and from pro reviews) on the 8Gb.

I didn't see enough difference to merit an upgrade to the N96, but I do like the look of the N97 - however the OP didn't specify keyboard requirements so I wasn't sure if the extra size/weight could be justified for his needs. I probably will though!

Cheers,
Eddie.

N95 8gb

I usually replace my phone because of the annual contract.

However, for the first time sine 80's I haven't done so due to me owning a Nokia N95 8GB.

A super phone, lots of music and video storage and loud enough too.

The camera is superb. I was in a hurry when I took these pictures and had no time/thought for sun position etc and the phone as usual did the job well.

I was talking to Mark 300SL who undoubtedly posts the best photo's on this forum and he wouldn't be without his N95 8GB. He is smarter than I am though - When his contract ended, he ordered another one as a spare.

I really don't like Samsung phones. I have had 2 on my books and I think they are rubbish - both had replacement screens, the touch screen version failed very quickly.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I think that I have some thinking to do!

It definitely seems as if I am right with the choice of manufacturer, it's just a question of which handset, although I am quite persuaded by the compliments paid to the N95 8Gb.

I think it's time for a trip down to the Orange shop to try a couple of the options out.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to post in. :thumb:

P.S. Ringham - I saw your pics of the convertible when you originally posted, but I hadn't realised that you took them on a phone - bloody excellent quality!

N95 8GB is a very good phone but the N86 has just been released a couple of weeks ago and has got the same software, same internal memory - but has got a better camera, better screen (AMOLED - longer batter life), expandable memory and an 8MP camera. All round same reliability but just better. I recommend it highly as I got one on my orange upgrade :)

Actually, there is one thing I forgot to mention in my priority list - quad band. We go to the States quite frequently, so this is a 'must'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom