New Police weapon for speeders and other offences.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

"Police said the main aim was to educate people about how to drive more safely and to prevent accidents that can kill or seriously injure people".

Yes of course it is. And the millions raised will be completely irrelevant.

"Some drivers caught out will be given advice about their driving, but those found to be committing offences will be punished".

I simply can't imagine which of these two categories most drivers will be deemed to fall into.

Guys they need to adjust drivers to match Ford car models to increase sales [emoji12].

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

When I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be this gif :
View attachment 82037
There is one of these on the A13 going into London, near a flyover the speed goes from 50mph to 30 mph back to 50mph within 10m with a speed camera!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1000m may be the effective maximum range of the video camera (in good conditions; rain or mist will reduce that), but I assume the detection range of an associated radar will be considerably less. A laser can easily manage 1000m and more, but an automatic laser installation to acquire a target at that sort of range, using laser alone, is afaik in the realm of science fiction. It will require either an operator, or a target acquisition radar.

Again afaik, radars that can acquire and track multiple targets, moving mostly at quite similar speeds, in very close proximity to one another in head-on or tail-on aspect to the radar head, are at best highly-classified and very expensive military technology.

These things will I suspect effectively be replacements for existing camera vans. How often do you see a camera van while barrelling down the motorway? Personally, very rarely, and I keep a very good lookout. Just don't go doing 140 mph (as if any of us would...) on a deserted motorway unless you have excellent eyesight...up to 1000m metres anyway.

I love this forum.

"Why don't they do something to catch speeders, mobile phone users, tailgaters, middle lane hoggers etc.etc.?"

"Here's a device to catch speeders, mobile phone users, tailgaters, middle lane hoggers etc.etc."

"Gaah! Why aren't they out catching real criminals?"

I love this forum.

"Why don't they do something to catch speeders, mobile phone users, tailgaters, middle lane hoggers etc.etc.?"

"Here's a device to catch speeders, mobile phone users, tailgaters, middle lane hoggers etc.etc."

"Gaah! Why aren't they out catching real criminals?"

I was thinking the same thing.

The issue with speeding is that it actually takes up relatively little resource given that a camera could be set up almost anywhere and be guaranteed of catching criminals.

Putting beat policemen in the same spot as granny being bugged takes up a lot of resource as this could happen anywhere.

I thought that I had been caught speeding 3 weeks ago and had a proper grumble in the car to my wife at the time, what I didn't do is take to social media and whine like a bitch that I had been done and how unfair it was, the signs weren't clear, the lights were too bright, it was dark and raining, everyone else was speeding so why me? Why weren't they out catching rapists etc.

The cameras are there to catch speeding offences. Its an easily detectable crime and it does reduce fatalities at known speeding hotspots. Habitual speeders are 'educated' with 3 points each time. It does work as it slows those people down or gets them to think about using their phone. If that saves a life or injury of one person then its worth it.

As for wearing a mask or disguise - I'm afraid this wont get you out of it as it is the responsibility of the registered keeper to notify the Police who was driving. If you fail to do that its a minimum 6 points on your licence whether you were driving or not!

Putting beat policemen in the same spot as granny being bugged takes up a lot of resource...

Er... I think that's more MI5's area, actually...

The cameras are there to catch speeding offences. Its an easily detectable crime and it does reduce fatalities at known speeding hotspots.

Unfortunately not, according to the reports I've seen. E.g. for the Thames Valley:

Conclusions:

The evidence suggests that:

• Reducing vehicle speeds using fixed speed cameras has no impact in improving road safety.

• Fixed speed cameras do not save lives and do not prevent serious injuries.

• Fixed speed cameras are not demonstrated to have reduced the number of collisions.[\quote]
Fixed report

Unfortunately not, according to the reports I've seen. E.g. for the Thames Valley:
They do help on highways but not cities and towns. A lot of boroughs are using 20mph zones and fast switching traffic lights to slow down drivers which resulted to more fatalities and accidents because pedestrians think they can make it and cross in front of a car or lots of cars crossing red lights

They do help on highways but not cities and towns. A lot of boroughs are using 20mph zones and fast switching traffic lights to slow down drivers which resulted to more fatalities and accidents because pedestrians think they can make it and cross in front of a car or lots of cars crossing red lights

Should the cars be crossing red lights?

No but it happens a lot because the stop line is further in lights switch fast (like 5 seconds) and then the 3rd or 4th car ends up on the line while it switched red. A keen motorist on the fresh green light has already started

That's absolutely rife where I live - really common to have a car or two still crossing at speed after your own light has changed to green. I'm pretty sure traffic light cameras would have a bigger impact on safety than speed cameras.

Aye, there is a cross roads near me and it's so common that when I'm there I have a bloody good look when the lights change green before I set off.

There's a camera on some lights near where I live, I'm not sure if they actually flash for late crossers.

I know that they flash for speeders, I know this for certain, absolute certain, no question about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK all traffic light cameras flash if you cross the line when the light is red. Some are also 'combined' cameras that check for speeding as well (with the normal measurement lines marked on the road).

AFAIK all traffic light cameras flash if you cross the line when the light is red. Some are also 'combined' cameras that check for speeding as well (with the normal measurement lines marked on the road).

The one in Bagshot on the A322 just near the M3 intersection is one such camera!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom