New purchase and falling down a wormhole!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
I accidentally bought the cheap Argos DA polisher at the weekend as it was on sale for just over £40 and i was buying something else so just added it to my cart....

For years it seems ive been deliberating over whether to get the Das 6 DA etc but seeing as i'll likely use it once or twice a year at most on three cars i could never really justify it. I know the Argos DA is not on the same level but now i have it! I know i need a smaller 5" backing plate but the real issue im having is deciding what pads and polish!

I was thinking Scholl S20 Black and maybe the orange and white Chemical Guys hexlogic pads as a start?

The S212 is Tanzanite Blue and has some swirls and some foliage rash on the sides (i think the previous owner must have lived down a narrow lane!) So nothing too major. The Alfa is also a dark blue and that just needs a very fine polish as the paint is already good. The Abarth is white and probably has swirls but it's actually difficult to see.

Im more concerned with the Alfa as i really don't want to risk going through the lacquer. So i was thinking the orange pad and then the white on the Merc (if needed), then just the white on the Alfa and Abarth.

Im open to suggestions though if anyone has any!

I accidentally bought the cheap Argos DA polisher at the weekend as it was on sale for just over £40 and i was buying something else so just added it to my cart....

For years it seems ive been deliberating over whether to get the Das 6 DA etc but seeing as i'll likely use it once or twice a year at most on three cars i could never really justify it. I know the Argos DA is not on the same level but now i have it! I know i need a smaller 5" backing plate but the real issue im having is deciding what pads and polish!

I was thinking Scholl S20 Black and maybe the orange and white Chemical Guys hexlogic pads as a start?

The S212 is Tanzanite Blue and has some swirls and some foliage rash on the sides (i think the previous owner must have lived down a narrow lane!) So nothing too major. The Alfa is also a dark blue and that just needs a very fine polish as the paint is already good. The Abarth is white and probably has swirls but it's actually difficult to see.

Im more concerned with the Alfa as i really don't want to risk going through the lacquer. So i was thinking the orange pad and then the white on the Merc (if needed), then just the white on the Alfa and Abarth.

Im open to suggestions though if anyone has any!
Spookily enough, that's exactly the same combo of pad/compound brands that I ended up with when I bought a Das 6 V2.
The orange Hexlogic is great at getting rid of those pesky hedgerow scratches; I've got the handheld version of that pad which is a bit more controllable if you're worried about going too crazy with the DA.

I was walking past the kebab shop and accidentally fell through the open door. I thought I may as well get a kebab while I was there:D
Similar analogy?
Being serious, I bought a polisher from Argos a few years back when I had my W212. Used it a couple of times but its a real rabbit hole choosing different pads, cutting pastes, polishes etc. I ended up with stuff I still haven't used.

I was walking past the kebab shop and accidentally fell through the open door. I thought I may as well get a kebab while I was there:D
Similar analogy?
Being serious, I bought a polisher from Argos a few years back when I had my W212. Used it a couple of times but its a real rabbit hole choosing different pads, cutting pastes, polishes etc. I ended up with stuff I still haven't used.
Ha ha yes this is what I’m finding! I thought I’d decided what to get, then read a review, changed my mind and repeated that process a number of times!

Thanks for the alert. I've been trying to keep an eye on this to buy when on offer.
This is the cheapest I’ve ever seen it, hence just getting it!

I did my CLS a few months back............

(I'm sure you are aware but make sure you do all the decontamination first... clay bar, iron fall out, panel wipe etc.)

I bought a few different combos and tried them out...

I think I did the first two passes, with a green KochChemie pad and Cartec Final Cut 9000. then a final pass with a Cartec black pad and Ultra finish 12000.

Came up a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom