New R171 owner with questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gilbertd

Car
2007 R171 SLK280
My partner went out and picked up her new car last night, a 2007 R171 SLK280, to replace her 2005 C203 C180k Coupe. It's pretty tidy but got one or two little things that I need to sort out and a couple of questions. As they are mainly interior, I figured posting in here first, although most could be considered electrical too.

Problem 1 is that the drivers air scarf doesn't work. The button lights up all three LEDs, the seat does nothing and after a few seconds the LEDs on the switch go out. I suspect the fan isn't starting so it is shutting down. The car has been standing since September so it may just be damp related. How do I access the fan? Both seat heaters and the passenger air scarf work fine.

Passenger central locking doesn't work, not from the fob or from the button on the dash. Presumably I need to get the door trim panel off to get to it, anything I need to know about that?

Also, the passenger door mirror doesn't adjust and I was starting to think that maybe there is no power to the door but the window works and the mirror folds so some of it is working.

I found the buttons for dimming the instrument lighting but is there a dimmer for the main centre console lights (behind the switches) as they don't seem particularly bright and aren't that clear at night?

Is there a workshop manual (preferably not for a US model) with wiring diagrams available or is a Haynes manual the only option?

Finally (for now), is there a way of connecting a Bluetooth module to the connector for a phone so giving Bluetooth connectivity?

I suppose I should add that I am a radio and electronics technician by trade and run a P38 Range Rover and a Maserati Biturbo Spider (so understand the electronic foibles of the P38 and the appallingly dire electrics on the Masser) so working through these problems should be fairly simple, I hope.....

For Bluetooth connectivity, you need one of these: Original Mercedes Benz Bluetooth phone adapter B67880000 Telephone Module | eBay. I have one in mine, and it works perfectly.

For a workshop manual, buy a (usually bootleg, I suspect, though they mostly claim to have copyright) WIS CD off eBay. Be warned that WIS is as clunky as hell to use, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

This might be good: Mercedes Repair Service Manual W219 CL203 CL203 C208 C209 C215 C216 R170 R171 | eBay

but I don't think the scrubbers in the picture come with it...

Congratulations - my wife has had one for over a year and you still can't wipe the grin off her face, especially top down!!

Not sure about the answers to most of your questions apart from the workshop manual - it's CD/DVD based and ebay has lots e.g. Mercedes Repair Service Manual W219 CL203 CL203 C208 C209 C215 C216 R170 R171 | eBay

My wife has a ViseeO MB24 Hands-free connected to the Audio 20

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you take off the arch liners and give it a really good hose down - they are notorious for rusting at the leading edge of the wing as crud collects there

Hope she has fun!

Thanks both, I'll get the WIS disc ordered. I used to have a Saab (well, 3 actually) and still have WIS for them so am well aware of the unbelievably clunky nature of it, but it does go down into the tiniest detail. Although it's my other half's car, she hasn't actually driven it yet, I had the arduous task of driving it just over 100 miles home last night. As soon as she had handed over the cash it became hers so she couldn't drive it on the driving other vehicles clause on her insurance but I could. Not only that but she's got a personal plate on her C class and can't swap that over until a V5 arrives. So I suppose I'll have to give it a few shakedown runs. I've got to test it to make sure everything else works and there isn't something I've missed.

Thanks for the suggestions on a Bluetooth adapter too. I thought the genuine MB unit seemed a bit pricey but then looked at the price of the ViseeO and it's even more. Found a couple of secondhand ones on eBay though so need to keep and eye out for those. Any idea what the difference is between the B67880000 and the B67875877? They look the same and both seem to do the same job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom