New Radar Gun (Central TV)???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SEM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
Anyone in the Mids that seen Central News last night, would have heard the last article of a new Radar Gun Police will be testing that can be used 1 mile away. Cant find anything on this! anyone got info ?

I've just posted my license to the DVLA in aticipation!

Wondered if could be an Urban Myth as per usual

Some more details here

I'm sure you'll all love me for sending you to that site.

I read the article in the Times too today.
This is scary, but I thought that the police have to be visible to the motorist, just as in the same way as fixed speed cameras are supposed to be? Okay in practice, things are often a little different, but being done at a range of 3 miles seems rather unfair.
Rgds
Les

Lexus club link requires you to be a member.

BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3748959.stm

The thing is, the operater surley needs some line of sight to see you? Must be for very straight roads with high bridges crossing them!

And it can take a still photo pf you a mile away? I see no Zoom lense!?

GrahamC230K said:
The thing is, the operater surley needs some line of sight to see you? Must be for very straight roads with high bridges crossing them!

Hmmm, M6 Toll Road

I wonder if the road angel can pick this up.???

U know whats next Met police are gonna launch a satellite to track every piece of metal on the road. should have earned enough for a billion dollar rocket by now.

Well at the bottom end of the market, (I haven't progressed to the Times) Todays Sun was reporting the damn thing.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004241541,00.html

I particularly like the quote from the RAC spokesman.

Where we do have a problem is where technology is replacing traffic police.

Recent research from the Transport Department on the cause of accidents showed excessive speed was number seven in importance.

Number one was inattention, which might be drivers looking out for speed cameras
.”

Not a lot of point if they are a mile away

These are laser based devices, they talk of the Pro Laser III and the LTI 20-20. I will bring an Lti 20-20 with me to the the kettering meet. anyone who wants a laser jammer I will be at the Motorshow on stand 10-485 make sure you ask for Tim and I will do the units for £289.99

Tim

Thanks to graham for the link to the photo. He's seems to be on the right track. The thing might be able to track a vehicle at a range of 2000 metres, (okay i must have misread 3 miles) , but unless they can read the number plate... SO... even if they bolt the thing onto a tripod, and have another bloke with a telescope(!) the effective range would be limited to say 30m (distance to read numbers) x 20 (eg 20x magnification) = 600m. So I surmise if your detector "bleeps" , and you can't see the source, tuck in behind another vehicle to break the line of sight and hope they can't keep track of you. I would think getting a device to detect the laser would be legal, but one that interferes with the operation of the gun by "confusing it" would almost certainly be illegal - preventing / interfering with the police in the execution of their duties. What would really answer all the questions would be a scanned users manual for the gun online.
Rgds
Les

How would they track a moving vehicle from thast distance anyway, tripod mount or not the laser still has to move, and would that mean it has to be re calibrated each time??

The bits below taken from a us distributor's website.
The acquisition time is 0.3 seconds.
Rgds
Les
PRO LASER III

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using lidar (Light Detection and Ranging) technology, ProLaser III emits a series of invisible laser light pulses to measure both the range and velocity of targets. Lidar technology, coupled with advanced optic design produces a beam only four feet wide at one thousand feet. Unlike telescopic-type sights that require you to lower the unit in order to view a speed - and take your eyes off the target - Pro Laser’s Heads-Up-Display (HUD) shows you everything. This lightweight battery-operated unit accurately identifies target range and velocity.
The see-through reticle represents the true width of the laser beam at any distance; the brightness of the reticle is adjustable for day or night; The reticle never requires accuracy adjustment. Poor weather feature makes the system operatable in rain, fog, or snow. It also allows the operator to shoot through the police vehicle windshield and side windows. The Pro Laser III has a distance gating capability that permits the tracking of vehicles through specific pre-set areas. This allows the officer to track vehicles between two pre-set points from another location.
System Functions
Target Speed Display: Shows the speed of approaching or receding vehicle
Range Display: Select a minimum and maximum target range
Range: 10’ to over 4000’ reflective target
Range Accuracy : ± 6”
Speed Range: 8-318 kWh
Speed Accuracy: ±2 kWh
I/O Data Port: RS-232 serial output of speed direction and range
Acquisition Time : 0.3 seconds typical
Heavy duty carrying case, protective lens cover, operator’s manual and shoulder stock are included.
Optional accessories include tripod, tripod snap-in mount, joystick, spikes, and battery pack.

064-0075-10 PRO LASER III LIDAR SYSTEM W/BATTERY HANDLE
064-0075-00 PRO LASER III LIDAR SYSTEM W/CORDED HANDLE

1 - 888 - 442 - 9215
R. Nicholls Distributors is Canada's largest distributor of public safety equipment and clothing
Copyright © 2001-2003 R. Nicholls Distributors Inc. All rights reserved.

Well done Richard
With an acquisition time of 0.3 seconds, even if a device detects the beam, there is NO time for you to react.
The blurb doesn't though mention how good the optics are for "identifying" the vehicle - driver and/or number plate.
Rgds
Les

Whats class 1 eyesafe? any health and saftey implications?

this is the digital camera they attach to the prolaser 3 (kustom singals inc website). Can Richard provide another sales leaflet ? If so, the effective range of the combined equipment could be estimated.
Rgds
Les

LaserCam® II
Photo Evidence with Pinpoint Accuracy.

LaserCam®II combines ProLaser III speed detection with digital photo evidence. The system features a Prolaser III interfaced with a digital still camera. The unit weighs only five pounds and can be used as a handheld unit or mounted on a tripod. By placing the target reticle directly on the intended vehicle for absolute precision, the LaserCam II can be used in highly congested areas. The unit provides photo evidence that can be printed at the traffic enforcement site or the evidence can be used to issue tickets by mail.

The vehicle’s speed, target reticle, and time of infraction are captured on the digital image. The date, officer’s name, and location can be added with a laptop. In addition, images may be downloaded, archived, viewed, zoomed, and printed.

mobilecentreuk said:
These are laser based devices, they talk of the Pro Laser III and the LTI 20-20. I will bring an Lti 20-20 with me to the the kettering meet. anyone who wants a laser jammer I will be at the Motorshow on stand 10-485 make sure you ask for Tim and I will do the units for £289.99

Tim

Hi Tim, Which model jammer is it you sell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom