New rear tyre time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve333

MB Enthusiast
Car
Cls350cdi in palladium,C200k in tenorite,Slk320 in red.
With 2mm left on both rear tyres it's time to change them & after a quick search found a few in simular price brackets.I currently have pirelli p zeros(285/30/19")which have performed well enough & given about 8,500 miles.Question is do i stay with the pirellis or go for conti's or bridgestones which are about the same a pair?

I'm in the same boat - going for Michelins but I have 18"s...

I had and have Conti SportContact 3's (18") .. the first set on the rears lasted 13k miles, including a track day, and a high speed drive to Germany.

Make sure you get the MO option which has a higher load index

I had and have Conti SportContact 3's (18") .. the first set on the rears lasted 13k miles, including a track day, and a high speed drive to Germany.

Make sure you get the MO option which has a higher load index

13k on the rears of a cls55 is impressive,did you have different tyres on the front(i;ve got p zeros on the front with 6mm on so wondered if putting different tread pattern/make on the rear will matter?)

13k on the rears of a cls55 is impressive,did you have different tyres on the front(i;ve got p zeros on the front with 6mm on so wondered if putting different tread pattern/make on the rear will matter?)

same tyres on the front, narrower.

fronts are about half worn and have now done about 15k miles

See now that is interesting because my earlier decision was really Conti SC3 or Michelin PS3.

I wanted the PS2 based on recommendations on here but you can only get them on Porkers.

Both sets of tyres can be bought 97 LI which is beyond the required 93 LI on mine - so I am not too worried about MO.

I have no experience of either tyre on the E55K. I am still leaning to the Michelins but I can't ignore that length of service on the Contis either.

The fact that Mercedes chose Dunlop and / or Conti for this car either means that's who they got the largest back hander from, or they really believe the E55K does the best figures on these two tyres - and not Michelins.

Argh!

How did you find the handling on the Contis and how would you describe your style of driving?

I think the key thing is to have same tread on the same axle.

My fronts, however, are not too far off so I thought about doing them all.

Saying that I don't relish spending £800 on tyres in one hit either, when I don't need to.

Whatever tyres you go for Steve, I'd recommend getting a price for supply/fitting from Martin's Tyres, near West End, Woking

01276 856846

Was recommended them by Peter on the forum a few years back, have used them for my last couple of sets now. Very competitive prices (best around!) and great service :thumb:

Will

I replaced the rears on the C63 a few months ago with Conti Sport 5's and love them.. give much more grip over the Sport 3's that they replaced.

Probably done around 3500 miles on them now and still plenty of tread/grip left.

fronts will need doing too soon as they are up to 20,500 miles and I dont think they are the originals. I bought it with 7500 on the clock so may still have the OEM's on :rock:

Kev

Whatever tyres you go for Steve, I'd recommend getting a price for supply/fitting from Martin's Tyres, near West End, Woking

01276 856846

Was recommended them by Peter on the forum a few years back, have used them for my last couple of sets now. Very competitive prices (best around!) and great service :thumb:

Will

Best price i've had for a pair of rears was £515 fitted(chessington tyres Walton,pirelli p zeros),thanks for the heads up Will,shall give them a ring 7 see what they can do:)

I have done 14,000 miles on a set of Pirelli PZero rear tyres and they are only half worn (4-5mm left)?? I suppose tyre wear rate depends on driving style as well as the make of the tyres. Mel.

I have done 14,000 miles on a set of Pirelli PZero rear tyres and they are only half worn (4-5mm left)?? I suppose tyre wear rate depends on driving style as well as the make of the tyres. Mel.

Driving style is bound to have an influence on tyre wear Mel & getting 14k from the rears with 4mm+ left is good going from a big engined rear wheel drive heavy mb(the wear rate when the rears get below 5mm is supposedly quicker).

I've always found it slower due to the tread blocks moving around less.

The guy that mot'd my car last told me the last 4mm on my rears would wear quicker than the first 4mm:dk:

Best price i've had for a pair of rears was £515 fitted(chessington tyres Walton,pirelli p zeros),thanks for the heads up Will,shall give them a ring 7 see what they can do:)

I'd be surprised if they can't beat that price by a fair margin - they were a good £100-200 a set cheaper than all the quotes I was getting for the CLKs tyres when I bought them.

A mate of mine recently got a full set of 17" Contis fitted to his CLK (245/40 and 225/45), was about £460 all inc.

I'd be surprised if they can't beat that price by a fair margin - they were a good £100-200 a set cheaper than all the quotes I was getting for the CLKs tyres when I bought them.

A mate of mine recently got a full set of 17" Contis fitted to his CLK (245/40 and 225/45), was about £460 all inc.

Wow thats a good saving Will,i'll ring them monday am,thanks again:)

I find my local dealer MB in Swindon very good at tyre prices and will price match if beaten.
Just put on Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2. Nice tyres.

Just a quick update,had new rears fitted by chessington tyres in Walton on thames at lunchtime(pirelli p zeros as originals),quick & friendly service & at £507 all inc beat the next nearest quote by over £70,thanks to everyone that offered advice:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom