New rears - but for a different use...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
So I am going to be doing a half day session with a race car driver in my own car.

I am going to use my old 18s as the 19s could possibly foul the arches under extreme cornering and the (not cheap) tyres could well be wiped out after a short time.

The fronts are reasonable (MPS2) but the rears are very close to illegal so need replacing.

I don't want to spend money on another set of MPS2s due to their possibly-fast demise - from what I understand the case will be on the half day thing.

Part of me thinks cheapest possible but then part of me knows how bad budget tyres are.

What would the panel choose for this sort of event knowing they may well be expired at the end?

Wouldn't the worn tyres be best...slicks...innitt.

Yes, the part-worn thought did cross my mind.

I don't know of anywhere that sells them but that's something to look into.

Would make more sense than crappy budgets.

Where are you John ?

There's a place near me sells part worns , no idea of price or condition though.

Hampton tyres.

Yes, the part-worn thought did cross my mind.

I don't know of anywhere that sells them but that's something to look into.

Would make more sense than crappy budgets.

Have bought part worns for most of my cars for many years from a place in Lancing. They get lots of performance tyres with the stipples still on as are so new. Apparently lots of high performance cars get written off very quickly in the hands of inexperienced drivers.
I have been tempted to pop in regularly, and keep an eye on what stock they have.
Tyres for my Merc with 18" Amg alloys (think they are something like 235/30) are around £35-40 as new.

Neil

Last edited:
Where are you John ?

There's a place near me sells part worns , no idea of price or condition though.

Hampton tyres.

I'm not a million miles from TW - cheers fella!

Have bough part worns for most of my cars for many years from a place in Lancing. They get lots of performance tyres with the stipples still on as are so new. Apparently lots of high performance cars get written off very quickly in the hands of inexperienced drivers.
I have been tempted to pop in regularly, and keep an eye on what stock they have.
Tyres for my Merc with 18" Amg alloys (think they are something like 235/30) are around £35-40 as new.

Neil

Lancing is not too bad as a backup - particularly if the savings are that much. Cheers!

Where abouts are you, I use someone for part worns in reading, he is very good with his prices and honest!

Where abouts are you, I use someone for part worns in reading, he is very good with his prices and honest!

I am Maidstone way so Reading is a bit too far for me these days (I worked in Bracknell for a few years when I lived in Bucks / Herts so I know Reading fairly well).

Thanks anyway although I will give you a shout if I am struggling!

:thumb:

I've got some part worn Continentals here.

Sport Contact 2s, 265/35/18. Just came off some 18" W211 E55 AMG wheels yesterday for refurbishment.

Both have around 5mm tread.

One is ZR N2 rated and the other is Y though. One puncture repair on each in the past (only noticed once they'd been removed)

Might be okay for a track day?

PM if interested - I'm not too far from you either in Surrey :thumb:

JohnEBoy said:
So I am going to be doing a half day session with a race car driver in my own car. I am going to use my old 18s as the 19s could possibly foul the arches under extreme cornering and the (not cheap) tyres could well be wiped out after a short time. The fronts are reasonable (MPS2) but the rears are very close to illegal so need replacing. I don't want to spend money on another set of MPS2s due to their possibly-fast demise - from what I understand the case will be on the half day thing. Part of me thinks cheapest possible but then part of me knows how bad budget tyres are. What would the panel choose for this sort of event knowing they may well be expired at the end?

I'd use a fresh set of tyres for this tuition that you intend to use on the road. Tyre wear on a potentially cold and damp track day for a car to be driven home at the end of the day should be a fraction of the total life of the tyres assuming tracking and pressures are correct. Call the guys and take their guidance, maybe they'll allow you to change from 18's to 19's mid session.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

It's not really a track day as such - more tuition on a large area of ground which is coned off I think.

I will contact them to see what they reckon.

Someone on here (I think ChrisA) stated he went through a set of tyres although I guess it depends how hard you are pushing it.

I intend to push it hard!

Cheers all.

Check your pads too and make sure they are not too worn. If they are replace before you go, as you'll appreciate these if they are in good order - especially on the drive home ;)

eBay is the best place for part worns. Just type in your tyre sizes into the search box.

id get a set of Michelin part worns

tbh, unless you are drifting around the corners you will not go through much rubber at all. Its the brakes that will suffer and overheat!

done a few goodwood days (whole days) and its the brakes that give up first

I'm due a set of discs soon as they are cracking near the holes which will mean new pads - so whilst the pads are very good now - I should be getting through them quite quickly.

id get a set of Michelin part worns

tbh, unless you are drifting around the corners you will not go through much rubber at all. Its the brakes that will suffer and overheat!

done a few goodwood days (whole days) and its the brakes that give up first

My tyres went South at Bruntingthorpe, they became very slippery indeed. There wasn't a lot of life left in them by the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom