New Redflex Digital speed cameras.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
This link below from my local newspaper gives details on new digital cameras being introduced to replace the old "wet film" cameras that are obsolete.

I read somewhere that not only did they catch speeding motorists, but they work in both directions , used ANPR tech and informed patrol cars in the area of your transgressions.

The newspaper piece allays a lot of those fears and I copied the gist below. Link to full article below that.

[QUOTE ]The digital cameras are capable of covering up to four lanes of traffic and do not require secondary road markings – white lines – to function.

The upgrade of a wet film camera to digital costs around £20,000 per camera, meaning a significant investment in the region of £400,000 has been made, with Dorset Police covering this cost.

Details released by Dorset Road Safe partnership confirmed the Redflex digital speed cameras that are being rolled out detect speed only.

It is not an average speed camera like those on A338 Spur Road from north of Blackwater to Cooper Dean. Instead the camera detects and digitally transmits traffic speed violations using a 4G signal, although they do have 5G capability.

The digital camera system does not perform automatic number plate recognition as some people had speculated online.[/QUOTE]

Do you know where they are/going to be located, Roger?

Id take that article with a pinch of salt, all those local news sites use clickbait titles and poor journalism.

Speed cameras havent used film in years. also the white lines on the road are not used to make the cameras work, but encase a ticket is contested and it allows them to verify the speed based manually.

They are just another type of radar-driven speed camera:

Ah a new type of camera. I wonder if these catch people on mobile phones, not paying attention, drunk, careless drivers, uninsured drivers, organised crime? If so its money well spent by the council.. ;-) Well done road saftey partnership..

Ah a new type of camera. I wonder if these catch people on mobile phones, not paying attention, drunk, careless drivers, uninsured drivers, organised crime? If so its money well spent by the council.. ;-) Well done road saftey partnership..
Perhaps the cameras free up the coppers for catching murderers etc?

Do you know where they are/going to be located, Roger?

No Mike. But I have noticed a lot of the fixed cameras on the urban streets around Poole and Bournemoth have fitted a bigger and obviosly new camera, No idea if its one of the cameras in the article above.

Reactions: MD5
The simple way to avoid falling foul of speed cameras is to keep to the limits

No Mike. But I have noticed a lot of the fixed cameras on the urban streets around Poole and Bournemoth have fitted a bigger and obviosly new camera, No idea if its one of the cameras in the article above.

Thanks, Rog. I've been away for a few months, so I'll take Boris's advice!

artyman, have you seen some of the ridiculous dreamed up by the councils? Council employee trying to justify his/her job.
Near me the reduced the speed limit from 40 to 30 MPH, nothing had changed. Via my MP I got the FOI the reason the reduction, it was total BS. Its is also has a mobile revenue camera. MP contacted the police, got the usual BS, MP "trying to justifying the unjustifiable"
Another example of supidy is the junction A52- M1. on the A52 there is a 40 MPH limit. At the junction a roundabout under the M1 the limit increases to 60 and then back to 40 MPH. I was last at this junction about 4 years ago.

The Dorset Police are covering the costs, according to the article
I saw that and thought WTF ! Is Dorset so perfect in every other way that police have this kind of money lying around ? If so I reckon their budget should be cut. Without looking at the figures my guess is there have been no rapes/murders/wife/husband beatings , thefts etc in Dorset for ages.

I saw that and thought WTF ! Is Dorset so perfect in every other way that police have this kind of money lying around ? If so I reckon their budget should be cut. Without looking at the figures my guess is there have been no rapes/murders/wife/husband beatings , thefts etc in Dorset for ages.
I think it more likely the money has come from the police budget provided by the government, so essentially 'our' money but not directly from the Council's budget

They will pay for themselves in the end.

Should there be an amnesty on speeding until every other crime has been solved?

I have nothing against speed cameras or ANPR in general. I do however think the use of 'camera partnerships' should be discontinued. This is a policing issue and should go back to the constabulary stewardship as Police and Crime commissioners are now answerable to the public, more so than they were 20 years ago at least.

Speed cameras lost credibility when they were transferred, much the same as parking, to local authorities. It has since been used as a weapon for corrupt money wasting councils to gouge motorists, defeating its primary purpose which is policing people who can't police themselves using less resources.

The simple way to avoid falling foul of speed cameras is to keep to the limits

Ah yes.. that old chestnut.. Everybody does so these camera should be redundant? oh hang on, 100% of drivers will creep over the limit by accidernt at some point. They shoud be thrown in the slammer for it... ;-)

Speed cameras lost credibility when they were transferred, much the same as parking, to local authorities. It has since been used as a weapon for corrupt money wasting councils to gouge motorists, defeating its primary purpose which is policing people who can't police themselves using less resources.

Couldnt agree more on that!! :)

Could do with a string of these on our residential street. It's about half a mile long and straight, suburbia, no businesses, a school next door to me, with rubber straddle speed bumps outside the school. 30 zone, with no reduction for the school. I bet about 2% of people do 30 or under, 70% of people do something close to 40mph, and of course the 25%ish of clowns that regularly fancy somewhere between 50 and 70mph (if not more). There's a particular white E63 dragging up the road all day absolutely hoofing it. There will be a death at some point, but then I understand it will also take another death before anyone in 'authority' can give a monkeys.

To be fair, most people do slow down to 40 to smash over the speed bumps like the giant slalom on ski Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom