New Road Angel: external aerial required?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Think of getting one soon but note on the Blackspot website its says that some vehicles with UV shielding glass (Mercedes get mentioned) may limit the ability of the unit to fix onto satellites, presumably because the metallic content or coating shields what is already fairly low level signal to some extent.

Has anybody actually experienced this? I have an Avantegarde with blue tinted glass & not sure if that is problematic

What does the "external antenna" consist of?

my CL has a garmin satellite reciever in it, and the signal is a little weak, but is otherwise OK.

if thats of any use...

Mine is fine, with no loss of signal compared to placing the unit outside of the car.

Guys

I have an S211 Avantg. Spoke to my installer, and all he needed was the number at the bottom nearside of the windscreen. From this a competent installer can tell whether your car needs an external ariel or not. Mine doesn't.

Cheers

Matt.

only ever known vehicles with a heated front windscreen element to be a problem.

Hi,

Lasers are only a problem with `heated front windscreen elements`

:)

Got one yesterday and it works fine. She Who Must Be Obeyed not too happy mounting it in the centre of the screen as it obscures parking sensor display and wire trails over dash: must admit not very tidy.

So mounted it on rhs of dash between cowl & pillar. (Might not be an optimal spot for laser detection, but by the time it has sqeaked you may have been clocked anyway.) That enables the straight wire to be run from lighter socket, under floor mat & up behind doorframe/dashboard trim. Also found that when you disconnect the trailing wire & connector, that will happily tuck into trim and does not get touched when door closes (may post some pics later)

Which leads me to next question. If I wanted to hardwire power lead in rather than use the lighter socket (little bit untidy) where is the best place to easily do so?

Satch said:
Got one yesterday and it works fine. She Who Must Be Obeyed not too happy mounting it in the centre of the screen as it obscures parking sensor display and wire trails over dash: must admit not very tidy.

So mounted it on rhs of dash between cowl & pillar. (Might not be an optimal spot for laser detection, but by the time it has sqeaked you may have been clocked anyway.) That enables the straight wire to be run from lighter socket, under floor mat & up behind doorframe/dashboard trim. Also found that when you disconnect the trailing wire & connector, that will happily tuck into trim and does not get touched when door closes (may post some pics later)

Which leads me to next question. If I wanted to hardwire power lead in rather than use the lighter socket (little bit untidy) where is the best place to easily do so?

I have mine to the right of the parktronic display so it doesn't obscure it. I hard wired it but spliting the lead to the lighter socket. The only wire you see comes up from behind the dash where it plugs into the road angel.

RichardM said:
The only wire you see comes up from behind the dash where it plugs into the road angel.

So where did you route the wire?

This is the thread from when I originally fitted it. I've now upgraded to the new Road Angel and moved the unit (and where the wire comes up from the dash) to the centre of the dash. Also bought a new sat nav unit since then.

Urrggh not this week I think! Having a CD multichanger retrofitted next week so I shall ask them to do it whilst it is in bits.

RichardM, interested in a donation to your favourite drinking fund if you want to sell your old road angel? please PM me if interested.

Pietre said:
RichardM, interested in a donation to your favourite drinking fund if you want to sell your old road angel? please PM me if interested.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on holiday :cool:

I traded the old unit in, which is the only reason I went for the new Road Angel, it wouldn't have been worth the upgrade otherwise.

Richard.

I hardwired mine into the light inside the glove box and fed the wire through the ventilation ducts at the base of the windscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom