New road springs options and suspension re-fresh 1991 W124 300E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jupiter1

Car
300E W124
Hello

My old 300E feels like it needs a bit of a freshen up and I would like to start at the front end -

It was up on a ramp and I was surprised how corroded the springs looked :eek: although the car is really exceptional underneath for the age. The front end has always looked a bit too low - are these cars a low ride height anyway ??? :dk::dk:

Euro Car Parts have Sachs in stock at a reasonable price and they are the oe spec. Rather than all the Ebay traders selling those damned lowering springs :doh: which wreck the ride and look ridiculous in my opinion.

Just after advice on what bushes etc it may be wise to attend to while changing the springs over ???

Car has 125k on the clock and is 21 yrs old, so if they are the original springs on the car now, they must be very well past their best. The shock absorbers seem to be doing a good job so not planning to do them for the time being.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I have just had 2 new rear springs fitted to my 300CE, it has self levelling suspension so the ride height is no different, but it does feel much nice to drive.....as above, new bushes make as much if not more difference though.

I'd look at the front top mounts, wishbone bushes, ARB bushes, steering idler and balljoints plus the rear ARB bushes bushes and shocker top mounts. Also the engine mounts and front prop doughnut. After that I'd think about springs & shocks

The front end contains more important bits and once the front suspension is dismantled it makes sense to replace pretty much everything in the list above

New springs do make a huge difference - more than I expected - but replacing them will make obvious how worn the other bits are

Nick Froome

duplicate

Last edited:
As well as spring height the ride height is adjusted by the use of rubber spring pads of different thickness at the top of the springs [ 8,13, 18, 23 mm]. Way back then MB used to divide springs into RED short and BLUE long- the different pads were used to adjust the ride height you might find a car with blue front springs and red rears with pads of differing thickness. I would be surprised if at 21 years old the car is on its original springs, but you never know?? The sure way is to get new springs and suitable pads from MB all round using your chassis no- not too expensive but more than the SACHS from ECP.
I reckon the front springs are slightly more critical to ride quality than the rears as they normally modulate the greatest mass= engine/gearbox + part body as opposed to rear springs part body+boot so its more important to get the fronts spot on.

The best quality springs [ corrosion resistant] are after market EIBACH or H & R but they tend to be the lowering/uprated/sports type

Springs are in the region of £50 ea and the pads are around £5 ea, then you will know the ride hieght and ride will be as designed.

I'd look at the front top mounts, wishbone bushes, ARB bushes, steering idler and balljoints plus the rear ARB bushes bushes and shocker top mounts. Also the engine mounts and front prop doughnut. After that I'd think about springs & shocks

The front end contains more important bits and once the front suspension is dismantled it makes sense to replace pretty much everything in the list above

New springs do make a huge difference - more than I expected - but replacing them will make obvious how worn the other bits are

Nick Froome

Spot on advice. I bit the bullet and did all the above on my 1989 W201 2.6 daily driver last year (with the exception of the front springs which were in very good shape). After nearly 200k miles, I also replaced the front shocks, rear springs & shocks, rear subframe bushes, rear ARB bushes and all rear control arms . The ride is now superb again and the car is now all set for it's next 200,000 miles. Made sense to do it all in one hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom