new road tax proposals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
PROPOSALS to get rid of paper tax discs from October 1 this year will carry a sting in the tail for everyone buying a used vehicle after that date: they will have to tax it immediately instead of being able to take on the vehicle’s existing unexpired tax.

While ostensibly a move to stop fraudsters, the tweak to the rules could lead to a windfall for the Treasury.

The ‘Draft Clauses and Explanatory Notes’ for the proposed Finance Bill 2014 say:

“…it will no longer be possible to transfer the benefit of a vehicle licence when there is a change of registered keeper. As a consequence of this, where there is a new registered keeper he/she will be obliged to take out a new vehicle licence when the vehicle to which the vehicle licence relates is transferred to him/her. The reason for now preventing vehicle licences being transferred from registered keeper to registered keeper is to avoid a new registered keeper unknowingly keeping an unlicensed vehicle. For example, in the absence of a paper licence a vehicle may be purchased supposedly with the benefit of a vehicle licence. The new keeper would believe that the vehicle was licensed, but the former keeper could apply for a refund of VED without the knowledge of the new keeper resulting on the new keeper having an unlicensed vehicle.”

The reasoning makes a certain amount of sense, although the ability to instantly check any vehicle’s tax status online at the www.taxdisc.direct.gov website rather blows a hole in the idea that there’s no way the new keeper could tell whether his vehicle was taxed or not.

A cynic might say that since you can only get refunded for complete remaining months of VED, the government stands to scrape up a lot of part-months of extra tax revenue. Official figures show that around 7 million used vehicles get a change of ownership each year. If, on average, each has half a month’s worth of VED remaining, that’s 3.5 million extra months of VED being paid each year. The equivalent of 291,666 years’ worth. If we estimate that the average annual VED cost per vehicle is £200 (a fair guess given the spread of rates), then that’s somewhere in the region of 58.3 million pounds windfall to the tax man. Every year. Not a bad haul, really.

This is exactly how things were up to very recently when the rules were changed? A seller could transfer ownership without the Tax Disc and then apply for a refund for the remaning months. So it's simply going back to how things used to be, just paperless...

Personally I would be happy to see the end of both Tax Discs and Residents Parking Permits, they should go the same way as paper pay-and-display tickets went, there is no need for any of it these days with ANPR and such likes.

More importantly, car windscreen's are made of clear glass for a reason, it's called visibility, which is not helped by sticking things on it.

Rant over...

More importantly, car windscreen's are made of clear glass for a reason, it's called visibility, which is not helped by sticking things on it.

Rant over...

Like satnavs and dash cams, and air fresheners and club stickers

Not to mention uncleared frost, snow, or simply dirt..........

My rant over...

At least it wont be obvious to the neighbours when I take it for one lap of the village untaxed during the winter hibernation period to keep things ticking over.

Anyone want a nice AMG tax disc holder bought for me by my GF as an Xmas pressie cost £25, what a waste that was.

This is exactly how things were up to very recently when the rules were changed? A seller could transfer ownership without the Tax Disc and then apply for a refund for the remaning months. So it's simply going back to how things used to be, just paperless...

Rant over...

Except that most sellers leave the tax disc with the car... so what would have been left goes with the car...

M.

Except that most sellers leave the tax disc with the car... so what would have been left goes with the car...

M.

Correct when 'seller' refers to private sellers, but my experience is that when I PXed a car the dealer would take the disc value into account then remove it and said they would claim it back, suggesting that the next owner will be buying it as an untaxed car (unless he gets the dealer to throw in a new Tax Disc).

Rant over...
If you drive in Europe car windscreen looks like Christmas Tree. Currently I have following stickers: Road Tax, Holder for Parking Permit (no parking permit), Umwelt Zone sticker for Germany, vignettes for Switzerland and Austria. And there are also vignettes for Czech Republik and Slovenia but I didn't go there yet ...

Regarding Road Tax I received refund for my tax disc when I sold my car to the trader. But I don't think it's a good idea that road tax won't be passed to new owner. It would be a lot of hassle to buy it every time you get used car.

I imagine it will be bought instantly by phone or online with a smart phone.

I rang the DVLA last week. After two aborted calls because I had the correct number for the service I was after, but you actually needed another number they don't publicise for human assistance, then the second number took me through about four menus before terminating the call because of a software fault, the notion of it being instant is a little far fetched. As to smart phones, we are talking government IT here.

This is simply bureaucracy making life easier for itself. We really don't count. I suspect the fine revenue from people collecting secondhand cars without realising they are untaxed has been factored in to the business case.

Last edited:
It all depends how well it works and how its set up...

In principle its not a bad idea as with the duties increasing so much, many cannot afford to pay out £500 in one go, so monthly payment would be better for those.

However I can see potential for a lot of glitches...

For example how will us traders update the system as we have many cars sitting here untaxed... Will we be able to Sorn them even though we are not the registered keepers.

What about when someone has just bought the car, their insurance many not show on the MID immediately, this can take 24-48 hours to update so will they be able to tax the car?

Lots of questions but lets face it, the paper tax disc was never going to last long once ANPR was in force... Electronic MOT's, the MID... all just part of the bigger plan....

Do away with VED and put the equivalent (i.e. revenue neutral) tax on fuel.
Big saving on admin, those that use the roads the most will pay the most.
Probably too simple though.

Do away with VED and put the equivalent (i.e. revenue neutral) tax on fuel.
Big saving on admin, those that use the roads the most will pay the most.
Probably too simple though.

This will hit the haulage industry disproportionally, and while you could argue that lorries do more mileage and should therefore pay more, our economy and food costs will be adversely affected.

This will hit the haulage industry disproportionally, and while you could argue that lorries do more mileage and should therefore pay more, our economy and food costs will be adversely affected.

Perhaps if it only applied to vehicles < 7.5 tonnes GVW?

Perhaps if it only applied to vehicles < 7.5 tonnes GVW?

How would you prevent lorry drivers from buying cheap fuel then selling it on straight from thier tanks?

In a similar way that European lorry drivers were reported to be doing around the SE when fuel in France was much cheaper than in the UK?

Last edited:

Have you been sticking it where you shouldn't - they don't exactly obscure your view :dk:.

At least it wont be obvious to the neighbours when I take it for one lap of the village untaxed during the winter hibernation period to keep things ticking over.

Oh the irony :D:thumb:.

Have you been sticking it where you shouldn't - they don't exactly obscure your view :dk:.

It's where it's always been, right next to the last digit of the forecourt price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom