'New' S211 - some questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordonTarling

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
Just pulled the trigger on an 09 S211 320cdi Estate. :bannana: Not sure yet when I'll be collecting it, but I have a couple of quick questions which I hope someone can help me with -

1 - It has the Comand with HDD fitted - should this also be provided with a map DVD?

2 - In order to forestall future problems, I am considering having these people rustproof the car. Has anyone any experience of them and is it worth the £450-odd in view of the fact that I'm planning to keep the car for 8 to 10 years?

Thanks!

As the car is galvanised throughout, is it worth having rust-proofing done? Seems like a waste of money to me - and bad rust-proofing treatments can actually promote rust rather than inhibit it.

Sorry for the slight thread diversion, but would rustproofing a 95 W124 Coupe be worth doing? (probably a silly question). Obviously for under half the above quoted price...:)

Last edited:
Sorry for the slight thread diversion, but would rustproofing a 95 W124 Coupe be worth doing? (probably a silly question). Obviously for under half the above quoted price...:)

Yes.

I have done a fair few now.

Thanks - I shall be in touch at some point soon.

Just pulled the trigger on an 09 S211 320cdi Estate. :bannana: Not sure yet when I'll be collecting it, but I have a couple of quick questions which I hope someone can help me with -

1 - It has the Comand with HDD fitted - should this also be provided with a map DVD?

2 - In order to forestall future problems, I am considering having these people rustproof the car. Has anyone any experience of them and is it worth the £450-odd in view of the fact that I'm planning to keep the car for 8 to 10 years?

Thanks!

Its a galvanised car, probably not worth doing if olly can do for £225 for piece of mind go for it.

Sounds a nice car. Enjoy it :D

I hear what you're all saying about being a galvanised car, but I'm more worried about future problems from galvanic corrosion, caused by the use of different metals. £450 (or £225!) seems a small price to pay if it forestalls expensive repairs in a few years' time.

No-one know about the Comand DVD?

I have not seen a car with a hard drive based Comand having a map DVD included from the factory. You should not need it either.

I wouldn't bother with rust-proofing. The whole of the underside is covered in panels, liners, etc. and I would worry that unless I knew the people, they might not take them all off anway. Rust-proofing on the later 211s is far better than the early ones anyway.

The DVD drive for the Comand navigation is in the boot (nearside behind liner). If there's no drive, then you don't need a disc! The head unit in the dash is also a DVD reader for films etc. (but not on the move).

I hear what you're all saying about being a galvanised car, but I'm more worried about future problems from galvanic corrosion, caused by the use of different metals. £450 (or £225!) seems a small price to pay if it forestalls expensive repairs in a few years' time.

Hard-drive Comand stores the map on the hard drive. DVD Comand uses the DVD to hold the map.

Therefore you should not have a DVD.....

Updates for both comes on extremely expensive (relative to Tomtom etc prices) DVD.

For the DVD version you insert it (possibly wait while included firmware is loaded) and leave it in there.

For the hard disk version you insert the DVD, run the update process and then (depending on your morality re software piracy):

a) File the DVD somewhere safe.

or

b) Sell/pass the DVD onwards (ignoring copyright etc).

Re rustproofing - I would have a quick word with the Dealer first to make sure you don't give them an excuse re warranty cover by applying "non approved" stuff over springs/suspension etc (the E has a habit of "eating" rear Estate dampers, front springs and especially front balljoints rather early!)....

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with rust-proofing. The whole of the underside is covered in panels, liners, etc. and I would worry that unless I knew the people, they might not take them all off anway. Rust-proofing on the later 211s is far better than the early ones anyway.

The DVD drive for the Comand navigation is in the boot (nearside behind liner). If there's no drive, then you don't need a disc! The head unit in the dash is also a DVD reader for films etc. (but not on the move).

When we do them we remove the wheel arch liners completely and cover erything on the underside chassis with rust proofer. In my opinion it is very worthwhile.

Thanks for the info re the DVD - at least I now know that it probably doesn't need one.

W124 - re the rustproofing - what rustproofing? ;)

Olly - I'll be paying you a visit shortly after I get the car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom