New shape slk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spar

Banned
Car
Mercedes slk
Hi new member would like some advice please currently have 08 reg slk 200 ( wife's car honest ) she keeps nagging me to change it for new shape slk .had quick chat to sales guy I bought from last time I mention to him it's a bit more expensive on like/like spec to what I paid for on my currant slk he give me all the sales talk on much better the new shape model blar blar just wounded if any member drives the new shape to see what it's really like is it so much better ?

No idea how you know he's called Dan, but hell from me too!! Welcome to MBClub.

I doubt there will be night and day differences to be honest. I suspect the biggest reason to trade-up will be the want-one factor, which is understandable because it's a good looking car. Have a go in one and see if it feels worth the cost of changing.

Bobby Dazzler said:

Welcome. This is a very friendly forum even though some members like to give newcomers hell.......

I doubt there will be night and day differences to be honest. I suspect the biggest reason to trade-up will be the want-one factor, which is understandable because it's a good looking car. Have a go in one and see if it feels worth the cost of changing.

All hairdressers are called Dan arn't they:rolleyes:

Hi new member would like some advice please currently have 08 reg slk 200 ( wife's car honest ) she keeps nagging me to change it for new shape slk .had quick chat to sales guy I bought from last time I mention to him it's a bit more expensive on like/like spec to what I paid for on my currant slk he give me all the sales talk on much better the new shape model blar blar just wounded if any member drives the new shape to see what it's really like is it so much better ?

Hi,welcome to the forum,why not take the car for a test drive & see if the difference warrants the change?

The new SLK is a much more refined car, I had 3 R172 SLK200s and loved them! The seats in the new car are far more comfortable, the user interface is a lot easier to use and the turbocharged engine/7G auto combination is smoother and more economical than the previous model. The one thing I'll say is that it has lost a bit of the 'edge' of the previous car, and doesn't quite deliver the same driving experience. Definitely have a drive though! I'm having a 250 Sport after my C-class goes back at the end of April!! Incidentally the diesel is fantastic although the magic was in the noise of the petrol for me so I'll be sticking with that!

I'm being trully and maybe brutally honest here but, if I were in the market again for a "premium" brand two seat sports car then I would definately walk straight past the current new shape SLK and right out the dealers exit door. OK, I'll stand back an await the wrath of any new owners.

Why? Well, the R171 to me was a departure from the current trend of designing / making vehicles with a "corporate" front end, look at the SL, the C63, the SLK in your RVM, look similarly at the Polo, Golf, Passat etc.

The R171 was never perfect but it was radical and, if like me, you wanted one at any cost then you had to wait 6,9, or maybe even 12 months for a build slot and that was after putting down a £1000 deposit. How long as the current model been out? Look here!

Mercedes-Benz UK - Offers Overview - SLK-Class

It says it all really, I could go on with what turns me off with this particular car but I dont want to because I'm an upbeat kinda guy 'cept to say that my SLK280 is nearly seven years old and still looks and drives as she did when I first bought her and still makes me smile when I floor it in the tunnel under runway 32, (or is it 33 or 31 now?) at LBA:devil:

Portzy. (back again!)

I think the SLK with the SLR front end was pretty.
I think the SLK with the new front end is pretty ugly.

take care, that tunnel is policed, I know a few people that have been caught there.

take care, that tunnel is policed, I know a few people that have been caught there.

Many thanks for that, I did get into a spot of, shall we say, bother? last summer but I was very lucky and just got a stiff talking to, these days I just hold 2nd as long as I dare for the noise then drop into 3rd near the exit.

Portzy.

I'm being trully and maybe brutally honest here but, if I were in the market again for a "premium" brand two seat sports car then I would definately walk straight past the current new shape SLK and right out the dealers exit door. OK, I'll stand back an await the wrath of any new owners.

Why? Well, the R171 to me was a departure from the current trend of designing / making vehicles with a "corporate" front end, look at the SL, the C63, the SLK in your RVM, look similarly at the Polo, Golf, Passat etc.

The R171 was never perfect but it was radical and, if like me, you wanted one at any cost then you had to wait 6,9, or maybe even 12 months for a build slot and that was after putting down a £1000 deposit. How long as the current model been out? Look here!

It says it all really, I could go on with what turns me off with this particular car but I dont want to because I'm an upbeat kinda guy 'cept to say that my SLK280 is nearly seven years old and still looks and drives as she did when I first bought her and still makes me smile when I floor it in the tunnel under runway 32, (or is it 33 or 31 now?) at LBA:devil:

Portzy. (back again!)

I can only agree, and add that the 171 looks lithe compared to its more expensive and lumpen looking replacements.

It says it all really,

If the current model had been launched in 2004 we'd have see exactly the same.

Difference between launching during bubble and after bubble pops.

If the current model had been launched in 2004 we'd have see exactly the same.

Difference between launching during bubble and after bubble pops.

Very fair point. Have those groups of aspirationally hungry folks who were around back in 2004 not been replaced by similar types this time around though?

I understand that this recession is bad but I'm led to believe that its the mainstream employee groups thats bearing the brunt, not those who can afford to throw, and probablay allways will be able to afford to throw, £29k+ at a fun car? I'm not being up myself with that statement, its just that what i'm led to understand, ie the rich get richer etc etc, I would not know for definite either way.

By the way, I wasnt aspirationally hungry back then, I was just plain daft and went without lots of other things to pay for it. I still think its a poor attempt at maintaining MB's heritage though, crikey! its even got LED DRL's on the front! I only just noticed that.

Portzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom