New Shell VPower Nitro + Launched

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cant say I am convinced by this to be honest. If it were a higher RON I could understand but what are you paying for here?

25% more Friction Modification Technology (FMT). Hardly a technical description of what it is.

As soon as I hear the words friction modifiers I think of the PTFE based snake oils like Slick 50.. The makers of which were successfully sued and then I believe banned from sale in some parts of the world.

Its not like shell haven't tried this before either with fuel additives. Shell Oil Company, et al. - Complaint

Remember Shell Fuel Save? That was the last gimmick Shell had and now thats vanished off the forcourts for some reason. I assume it is because it didn't do what it said on the tin and pressure was applied. IIRC it was causing premature failure of two stroke engines and causing carburettor seals to expand or something.

Is it even approved for use by Mercedes?

I've been told the petrol is just V power with a different FMT package and diesel is V power with a different detergent package RON and everything else unchanged

I cant say I am convinced by this to be honest. If it were a higher RON I could understand but what are you paying for here?

25% more Friction Modification Technology (FMT). Hardly a technical description of what it is.

As soon as I hear the words friction modifiers I think of the PTFE based snake oils like Slick 50.. The makers of which were successfully sued and then I believe banned from sale in some parts of the world.

Its not like shell haven't tried this before either with fuel additives. Shell Oil Company, et al. - Complaint

Remember Shell Fuel Save? That was the last gimmick Shell had and now thats vanished off the forcourts for some reason. I assume it is because it didn't do what it said on the tin and pressure was applied. IIRC it was causing premature failure of two stroke engines and causing carburettor seals to expand or something.

Is it even approved for use by Mercedes?

Been running vpower for years both in petrol and diesel never had a problem using Shell fuel, some persons use it some dont, but my car posted 529 bhp standard on our MB dyno day, no mods whatsoever so it must be doing something right when most 55 AMG dyno around 470bhp Stock, Shell all the way for me I am afraid, any fuel mods they want to make I am happy to use.

Further point after the EC map pulled 563bhp even Jerry and others said it was a stong car, 8k oil changes and vpower full works wonders :)

Last edited:
Silly name ... just how much nitromethane does it contain?!

But looks OK as a package, I have only ever run the SL on V-Power (for the cleaning additives rather than any small power increase) so will use this new version.

Sure... Shell VPower has a higher octane, slower burn yep... science.

FMT erm....sorry but whats that again?

I just checked.. Shell FuelSave has had the plug pulled due to false claims.

How about Formula Shell.... Shell FuelSave reminiscent of Formula Shell debacle | Royal Dutch Shell plc .com

I'd like to see some science behind these miracle claims as Shell have a very checkered history with making product claims like this...

Freephone number posted above option 3 I think is technical, sure they will answer any Queries that anyone has.

Marketting bull****

Question 1. What is the ethanol content?
Question 2. What RON is it now?

Last edited:

Exactly - ethanol is what we should be concerned about at this time,
for us guys with pre 1996 cars.

Causes fuel system components to rust/disintegrate.

I'm a touch cynical about this new 'Nitro' fuel.........of course this is from a motorist that just buys any petrol from any station. I sure would like to know what the marketing budget is, I'd say that would be far more interesting than this 'new' fuel. :D

Just spoke to a technical contact I have in Shell

Ethanol content is 5%
RON is 99

FMT package is totally different to V Power and both Petrol and Diesel have new detergent packages which are more concentrated than V Power.

I must admit I use either V Power or BP Ultimate in all our cars and there is a difference, not sure about better mpg or more power, but it is definitely smoother

Choice is simple: if you like, buy it use it
Don't like ? don't buy it, don't use it

Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded

100 otane :cool:

Anybody used it? I am filling the AMG this evening.
Not expecting much, if anything to be honest.

As said it's probably just a marketing bull****, I will see tonight if I notice anythig..

I've always noticed whenever I use V power my petrol just goes compared to BP Ultimate or Esso Supreme.

explanation-placebo-effect.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom