New SL55 Member

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joe2612

Car
R230 SL55 AMG
I've owned my SL55 for just over a year now and finally got round to signing up to the forum having been a 'spectator' all this time.

It's a 2003 model which came fully loaded including some rare extras including designo interior roof trim, pan roof, exclusive nappa leather, keyless go, distronic etc

Over the past year I've done the following:

Fitted some Forged E63S 19" alloys with PS4s tyres
Fitted an android headunit + JL audio Amp
Fitted a W205 AMG steering wheel ( buttons + airbag all fully functional) and retrimmed in leather / alcantara
Trimmed the gear gaiter to match steering wheel stitching
Upgraded bulbs
Full paint correction
Full oil service
Facelift rear AMG lights
Single Fin grill
Facelift AMG brake light
Sold aluminium crinkle trim parts and replaced with wood that I painted with 2K gloss black.

Based In Bristol but from Surrey originally, apart from the SL I have a Triumph Thruxton R and a 1974 Alfa GTV coupe (105).

Look forward to contributing to this forum more.

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4541 2.jpg
    IMG_4541 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5090.jpg
    IMG_5090.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
I've owned my SL55 for just over a year now and finally got round to signing up to the forum having been a 'spectator' all this time.

It's a 2003 model which came fully loaded including some rare extras including designo interior roof trim, pan roof, exclusive nappa leather, keyless go, distronic etc

Over the past year I've done the following:

Fitted some Forged E63S 19" alloys with PS4s tyres
Fitted an android headunit + JL audio Amp
Fitted a W205 AMG steering wheel ( buttons + airbag all fully functional) and retrimmed in leather / alcantara
Trimmed the gear gaiter to match steering wheel stitching
Upgraded bulbs
Full paint correction
Full oil service
Facelift rear AMG lights
Single Fin grill
Facelift AMG brake light
Sold aluminium crinkle trim parts and replaced with wood that I painted with 2K gloss black.

Based In Bristol but from Surrey originally, apart from the SL I have a Triumph Thruxton R and a 1974 Alfa GTV coupe (105).

Look forward to contributing to this forum more.
Very nice indeed, love the interior colour. What model is the steering wheel originally made for? I would be interested to hear your experiences with swapping the OEM headunit with the Android HU.

Welcome to the forum:thumb:

You have an excellent indy nearby should you prefer servicing and repairs outside of the main dealer network.

does steering wheel buttons work and control the functions

Thanks all.

@flowrider The wheel is from a 2014 C63s I believe. In terms of swapping out the OEM headunit, it was pretty easy to be honest and I wish I did it sooner into my ownership. The headunit itself is this model which I did a lot of research prior to buying and it's very well put together. The Canbus integration works very well, e.g it will turn on and off in the same way the old command unit did ( no need to wire ignition switch) and will flip to the rear view camera automatically when going into reverse. It even has door / boot open warning with a car icon and the relevant door displayed on the screen. The track information doesn't display on the instrument cluster but that's a new project for next year...

The only downside is the lack of cupholders, however, I could only use one of them and It was too small to fit the refillable bottle I use, so not much of a loss for me personally.

@AMGeed , Indeed! I have already taken a trip down to Steve, great guy and very helpful.

@C240Sport97 Yes, all the R230 steering wheel functions are controlled by the W205 buttons.

Just a heads up that my SL will be up for sale, it's time for me to scratch my 63amg itch. Would prefer to sell to a fellow forum member but need to get my post count up first before I post in the classifieds section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom