New sl63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kcsun

Car
SL63 AMG, GLE 350de, RS4
Hi all, I am just about to pull the trigger and buy a pre-registered sl63 with 30 miles on the clock
Couple of questions, should the car be serviced every year or are the service intervals decided by the ECU?
I have been offered a service plan for £43 a month - should I go for it?
How much are the a or b service's if I do not have the plan?

I drive a lot in France - is it easy to convert the headlights for continental driving??
Is there a switch in the command options or are the headlights the new "lay flat" type and converting is not needed?

The salesman at MB is not being very helpful!!

kc

Personally a service plan at £43 a month would be a no brainer for me on effectively a brand new SL63. When comparing stand alone service prices remember that these do not include items like plugs filters etc. The cost of the service plan includes these items. Just as an example on our CL service plan cost £1500 for 3 services, whereas the first service in my ownership was going to exceed this figure alone.
I know some will argue that this is down to MB inflating service prices to make plans look good value, but for a new SL63, I would be biting the bullet. Obviously your choice. Need a piccie of your new ride in any event. Great cars.

Congratulations on your forthcoming purchase, yes pics please following collection!

I am paying £50 p/m on my SL and my last 2x services included both plugs and ATF change. This worked out less than standalone pricing and spacing payments monthly interest free is a bonus especially as servicing becomes available immediately so I would sign up if I were you.

Sorry but have not driven in France but think headlamp adjustment on the ILS system is not required.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I'm just about to have an A service on my Sl500 by Mercedes Leicester for £210. I'll seriously think about taking the plan out after though as the next service is big, then another cheap A then the huge service.

You can set the headlights for driving on the Continent using buttons on steering wheel

You should be getting a massive discount .. at least £30k. I saw one at MB Maidstone unregistered (I think) with around £30k off

Hi All, thanks for your replies,

Yep, a massive 40k + discount (but still trying for a little bit more), as it will be a keeper for 10 years I think it offers great value for money

Can I take the service plan out after the 1st "cheap" service or will the monthly payments then become massive?

does anyone know if the car has a front axle lift for road humps etc??
the salesman was not sure!!!! and could not find anyone to answer the question haha - aren't MB dealerships great!

kc

Hi All, thanks for your replies,

Yep, a massive 40k + discount (but still trying for a little bit more), as it will be a keeper for 10 years I think it offers great value for money

Can I take the service plan out after the 1st "cheap" service or will the monthly payments then become massive?

does anyone know if the car has a front axle lift for road humps etc??
the salesman was not sure!!!! and could not find anyone to answer the question haha - aren't MB dealerships great!

kc
You can take a service plan out at any time, the cost will be the same. The sales man will push it at the start cos of the commission. Weigh the costs up before you decide. Your sales guy doesn't seem to know much about the expensive product he's flogging you does he?

the generally accepted wisdom is to pay cash for the first, (small) A service then set up a service contract to cover the subsequent larger (costlier) services - plenty of threads on this site setting out the pros and cons...

R231 SL was not available with any sort of front axle lift system .. not needed really as ground clearance is fine for all roads

"does anyone know if the car has a front axle lift for road humps etc??"

I believe they have ABC suspension and hence three height settings (my R230 SL63 has). Normal ride height and two others higher settings for rough terrane, fields etc etc. There should be button somewhere around the gear selector.

KR Matt :thumb:

"does anyone know if the car has a front axle lift for road humps etc??"

I believe they have ABC suspension and hence three height settings (my R230 SL63 has). Normal ride height and two others higher settings for rough terrane, fields etc etc. There should be button somewhere around the gear selector.

KR Matt :thumb:
I do not recommend off roading in a SL63, stick with a Range Rover for that [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, the manual is just what I need for some late night entertainment before sleep!!

I realise it is N America version but I expect 99% will be the same as UK spec

KC

Lovely car and welcome. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Spending money like that , I would go straight to the Dealer Principal and complain that the muppet selling this level of car should know it inside out. This is his job. Sick of hearing stories about lazy useless car salesman.

Thanks Steve, the manual is just what I need for some late night entertainment before sleep!!

I realise it is N America version but I expect 99% will be the same as UK spec

KC

Get GB version. Download Mercedes Guides from App Store and then down SL electronic manual

Congrats on the purchase. Cracking cars. Sounds a good deal on the service plan. Is that for 1yr or longer? If they are LED lights then no adjustment needed to drive abroad. If it has intelligent lighting you have to disable that abroad.

the generally accepted wisdom is to pay cash for the first, (small) A service then set up a service contract to cover the subsequent larger (costlier) services - plenty of threads on this site setting out the pros and cons...
That's exactly what I'm doing with my E63.
Took out a plan for 4 year, told them i'm paying for year one when its due

Just booked the E63 in with Mercedes for the first service. They said you're all covered with your service plan, but I said as its year 1 and likely to be reasonable, I wanted to pay for it.
Not a problem he said, the system says the cost will be £309 which I thought was pretty good, plus as I work in Belfast, they'll drive me to work when I leave the car off, and pick me up later when the car is ready.

He's updated the notes with the price quoted also.

You can take a service plan out at any time, the cost will be the same. The sales man will push it at the start cos of the commission. Weigh the costs up before you decide. Your sales guy doesn't seem to know much about the expensive product he's flogging you does he?

This is not correct. The service plan in more per month if the first service has passed. There’s a second price list used for cars that are over 1 year old, so you are better to take it out at the start.

ILS can be switched the driving on the other side using the steering wheel buttons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom