New slk and c coupe at watford today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Nice

Attachments

• image-3756280328.jpg
    image-3756280328.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image-4202022323.jpg
    image-4202022323.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 171
  • image-3152391.jpg
    image-3152391.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 173
  • image-4004816649.jpg
    image-4004816649.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 172
  • image-2008662732.jpg
    image-2008662732.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1169468560.jpg
    image-1169468560.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 172
More choice

Attachments

• image-3570347533.jpg
    image-3570347533.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 169
  • image-407075350.jpg
    image-407075350.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 166
Great pictures and interesting to see them both in real life.

I really like the SLK but not so sure about the C Class coupe. Looks a bit like a mixture of a Merc, BMW and a Volvo.

The E coupe is far better looking.

Don't like the "brushed metal" effect on the SLK's centre console. Looks very "Chrysler Crossfire" - which is kind of ironic.

Like the C Class Coupe, not sure about the SLK, looks a bit "long" and less compact.

Wow! I saw those today, around 12.30, as I was in Watford also, with a client!!

Talk tomorrow! :)

Really like the SLK which i had always thought looked like a girls car before, oddly i don't like the SLS!

Which did you order?;)

neither.. though if these were the only choices around.. it would be the slk..

c class coupe is seriously dull.. as in so dull, the cloudy rainy weather actually brightened up my day.

the slk.. whilst it looked better in the flesh than in pics, was just too pricey.. 38k for that one there.. and it was a very basic spec car.

considering my fully loaded 1997 slk cost us 33k all in brand new, the pricing today is just over the line for me.. but overall, id say its a smarter more masculine and more dynamic slk than ever before..

Did you enjoy the torrential downpour around 2.30??!!! Driving through Harrow Weald was like driving through a swimming pool!!! :D

Did you enjoy the torrential downpour around 2.30??!!! Driving through Harrow Weald was like driving through a swimming pool!!! :D

indeed.. bloody crazy i tell u

atleast the garden is sorted water wise. u around tomorrow?

Could be, I'll let you know in the morning!

Don't like the "brushed metal" effect on the SLK's centre console. Looks very "Chrysler Crossfire" - which is kind of ironic.

You can opt for other finishes - black ash, dark burr walnut, piano black, black leather or carbon fibre.

Great pictures. I also saw a new C Class Coupe this week. I like them and I think they will be a big seller for Mercedes for sure. My only gripe would be that they are priced too closely to the E Class Coupe when you add sensible options. Also saw the new C Class saloon which also looks spot on.

Funnily enough South Lakes also has a black SLS in the showroom, I had a sit in it and felt quite at home :)

Paid a visit to MB Watford today to have a look at the R172 (seeing as Hughes won't have one in until next weekend).

First impressions were good - the car looks better in the flesh than it does in photos, where the lines around the rear wings can look a little awkward (perhaps the colour or the showroom lights helped). The car was a poverty-spec SLK200 in AMG Sport trim, but the obligatory body addenda weren't as off-putting as I had feared.

Sitting inside, it felt a bit more special than my R171. I particularly liked the look/feel of the steering wheel (if not the squarish buttons mounted on it), and was pleased to see that they'd bothered to reconfigure the centre console for right-hand drive - moving the gear selector panel and MMI control wheel onto the driver's side. Not so impressed with the fussy-looking dials, and particularly the unsightly mid-mounted clock. Not only does it look like an afterthought, but its cowl is also very flimsy - I was able to move it up and down with very light pressure, and you could see the grille into which it is set moving with it. No doubt a future source of rattles.

r172clock.jpg

Then there was the rampant red stitching, which I was right to have been apprehensive about, although for some reason it was only on the seats and doors as the dash was not even leather trimmed (even though the brochure states that this is part of the AMG Sport specification). To top it all, the red seatbelts reminded me of the 1980s MG Metro, although you can specify them in black at no extra cost.

r172redness.jpg

Elsewhere there was evidence of cost-cutting. While the R171 lost its clever double-cubby arrangement at the 2008 facelift, the R172 now sees the vertical cubby replaced with a flimsy-looking pocket. On the plus side, the doors have a more solid feel to them than those of the R171, although they've still omitted to fit red marker lights - or even reflectors - into the trailing edge. Even my Fabia has these!

The boot looks to be about the same size and shape as that of the R171, but without the intrusion of the pre-NTG2.5 COMAND sat nav disk unit. The spare wheel cover, which was pseudo-hinged in the R171, is now a lift-out panel, which felt a bit of a downgrade but may prove to be more practicable. This panel also has some depth to it, so that it sits flush with the rest of the boot floor, but at the expense of the useful bit of extra depth that the R171's recessed panel affords. The sliding separator panel is now felt-covered, which gives it a more upmarket feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom