New software and TMC receiver for Tom Tom x10 series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
EDIT: just found out that this release includes new firmware to put the GPS chipset into a different mode ... making better use of the sensitive GPS antenna in the x10 Tom Toms. This finally activates the ‘QuickGPsFix’ feature where the position of satellites is downloaded to the unit, resulting in a quicker GPS fix. See:

http://www.yournav.com/content/n/234/Firmware_version_652_for_all_TomTom_PNDs.html

Downloaded the new 6.520 software for the x10 series Tom Toms yesterday. Interesting that this release seems specific to the model, the last one displayed as "for 510/710/910". There are updated speed camera files too.

The plug-in TMC (free traffic info.) receiver is available in the UK now, rrp £69.99:

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=315&Language=1

Presumably support for this is the main component of the new software version.

I see the 910 picked up another "Best Satnav" award too:

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=-3&NID=147&Language=1

Last edited:
Bill,

I can report moderate success with this upgrade. I'm certainly getting a faster sat lock around london, and I've managed to disable the internal speed camera warnings, in favour of the pocketgps.co.uk database.

All good so far.

Scott

scotth_uk said:
Bill,

I can report moderate success with this upgrade. I'm certainly getting a faster sat lock around london, and I've managed to disable the internal speed camera warnings, in favour of the pocketgps.co.uk database.

All good so far.

Scott

Excellent, faster sat lock would be a big plus. I've just done the install, not tried it out yet.

I might splash out on the TMC receiver for our next trip to Germany.

Does anyone one how good the TMC receiver is compared to the TomTom traffic through gprs? My subscription runs out in december and I'm not sure whether to go the TMC route.

The Tom Tom TMC receiver only just came out. I think TMC coverage in general is variable, depending on where you are. I also have a Traffic subscription and have found that to be a bit hit and miss. You are supposed to be able to have both running side by side ... I guess that's the best option if you are serious about avoiding jams!

New version of Tom Tom Home downloaded this evening.

I have found TMC to be very variable in its usefulness.

Went down the M40 yesterday and the TMC couldn't make its mind up whether there was 6 mile jam J8-J10 or not......bizarre to see all the little cars and then none (and then back again).

Turns out there was about a mile jam when I got there (TMC then showing no jam at all).

(this is via Comand by the way, but the source of the data is the same).

I've had similar with the Tom Tom Traffic (GPRS) service, although I think it's only ever not reported a jam rather than falsely saying there was one. It was very useful when we hit a traffic jam in Belgium on the way to the Eurotunnel ... told us the incident had been cleared, and sure enough within 5 mins we were moving again. Without it we'd probably have tried to go cross-country to get around the jam.

As above, I'm sure the best option is to have both TMC and Traffic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom