New Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
In my area, the old Gatso speedcams are being replaced by new ones. They are on 6m high yellow poles with 4 modules, 2 at the top and 2 at about 3m..All modules facfe in one direction. Does anyone know if these work in both directions? My speedcam detector only recognizes them as working in the "going away" direction and not in the approaching direction.

Do they look something like the below one?

If so, I am not sure but I would expect forward-facing only.

You can sometimes tell depending on which side of the camera they have put the white lines which they use to calculate speed as well.

Although I have seen lines before and after GATSO cameras so no guarantee GATSO are only forward-facing only.

2_JS155335257.jpg

Well in Wales they are desperate for money so I would expect these cameras to be forward.towards up and down,I well remember around Cardiff a few years ago when the M4 was being messed about,there was a complete feeding frenzy of camera vans they were everywhere on flyovers in slips,parked in roadworks,drivers were looking for cameras checking their speed looking at the new speed limits and forgetting all about safe driving it was crazy

You can sometimes tell depending on which side of the camera they have put the white lines which they use to calculate speed as well.

Although I have seen lines before and after GATSO cameras so no guarantee GATSO are only forward-facing only.

2_JS155335257.jpg
Yes, that's the type John and the local ones have white lines in both lanes on a single carriageway road. However the lines were there with the Gatso cameras and I always wondered if those worked in both direction or whether they were a bluff in the oncoming lane.

Well in Wales they are desperate for money so I would expect these cameras to be forward.towards up and down,I well remember around Cardiff a few years ago when the M4 was being messed about,there was a complete feeding frenzy of camera vans they were everywhere on flyovers in slips,parked in roadworks,drivers were looking for cameras checking their speed looking at the new speed limits and forgetting all about safe driving it was crazy
LOL

Yes, that's the type John and the local ones have white lines in both lanes on a single carriageway road. However the lines were there with the Gatso cameras and I always wondered if those worked in both direction or whether they were a bluff in the oncoming lane.

In that case I would bet on these new ones being beyond the camera only by the look of them in the picture. That said, it may be they could be rotated to face the oncoming direction but they would need to be infrared only as they wouldn't be able to flash in a an oncoming driver's / rider's face.

Yeah, definitely a bluff on the lines leading up to GATSOs.

Not all GATSOs have the actual camera and / or flash mechanism in them as I understood they were very expensive, and they still look broadly the same to the untrained eye. You can spot the camera in the top left window as you look at them if they do.

And similarly, in that picture I posted, I wonder how useful the 2nd lane lines are with the arrows painted on them, so it might be the authorities have only put one camera in the left hand side (and if you look closely at the cut-outs at the back of both camera housings, the right hand camera housing has a bit missing in it as well as the cables coming down from the camera itself are missing unlike the left one).

We have had a load of cameras become live recently and more are planned. On one of the roads, you are lucky to hit 30mph as always busy but they still put them up. Another set went up on a dual carriageway where there are houses on the first 100 yards but nothing for the other 90% of the road. They have also reduced it to 30mph which is absolutely ridiculous. If you carry on a mile or so down the road, it becomes a normal 1 up 1 down road but it remains 40mph and has a lot of houses along it.

The council seem to have put the cameras where they knew they will make the most cash

We have had a load of cameras become live recently and more are planned. On one of the roads, you are lucky to hit 30mph as always busy but they still put them up. Another set went up on a dual carriageway where there are houses on the first 100 yards but nothing for the other 90% of the road. They have also reduced it to 30mph which is absolutely ridiculous. If you carry on a mile or so down the road, it becomes a normal 1 up 1 down road but it remains 40mph and has a lot of houses along it.

The council seem to have put the cameras where they knew they will make the most cash
Does the local authority get to keep the cash?

Does the local authority get to keep the cash?
I assume so but cannot be 100% sure. It was reported that the local council drew up the plans and voted for them. I haven't researched into where the money goes but someone may come along and advise/correct me

All fixed speed cameras have been removed on the Island. I was reliably informed while on my latest speed awareness course that they are expensive to maintain and not worthwhile, so now we’re down to a seemingly single VW T5 roaming camera.
Shackles off tomorrow, Military Road will be the place to find the local constab. 🤣🤣

I have seen those cameras popping up, I am 99% sure they are average speed cameras so there is probably another set somewhere.

They never seem to be in places that need them though, only on stretches of road that generate cash.. The obsession with speed cameras these councils have drives me insane.

The only way to combat them is keep well under the speed so they generate zero income... But they know we all lapse in concentration from time to time, creep over and pay for another head at the christmas party..

We are all utter criminals and should all surrender our licenses immediately.. You were doing 33 in a 30 zone you........

In the USA they don't have them of course, because the locals just shoot them.. ;-)

All fixed speed cameras have been removed on the Island. I was reliably informed while on my latest speed awareness course that they are expensive to maintain and not worthwhile, so now we’re down to a seemingly single VW T5 roaming camera.
Shackles off tomorrow, Military Road will be the place to find the local constab. 🤣🤣
Military Road about the only place on the island you can go at any speed. Amazed that the sensible Channel Islands example has not been followed with a blanket 40mph speed limit. Also the place is overdue for a bridge as per Skye an idea that gave many an islander a heart-attack.

I have seen those cameras popping up, I am 99% sure they are average speed cameras so there is probably another set somewhere.
The average speed cameras in my area don't have any associated road markings.

A bridge won’t happen purely because of the Islands infrastructure.
Come the holidays, the Island is often ‘full’ of cars. The place literally can come to a standstill. Any bridge would simply roadblock the place in hours .... permanently. 😆

Military Road about the only place on the island you can go at any speed. Amazed that the sensible Channel Islands example has not been followed with a blanket 40mph speed limit. Also the place is overdue for a bridge as per Skye an idea that gave many an islander a heart-attack.
Military Road will be busy come this October ...

They never seem to be in places that need them though, only on stretches of road that generate cash.. The obsession with speed cameras these councils have drives me insane.

The only way to combat them is keep well under the speed so they generate zero income... But they know we all lapse in concentration from time to time, creep over and pay for another head at the christmas party..

We are all utter criminals and should all surrender our licenses immediately.. You were doing 33 in a 30 zone you........

In the USA they don't have them of course, because the locals just shoot them.. ;-)
Tony, the ones to which I referred in the OP are definitely not average cams but the poles look similar. All average cams around here have "average"warnings posted.

Tony, the ones to which I referred in the OP are definitely not average cams but the poles look similar. All average cams around here have "average"warnings posted.

Indeed. Not to be confused with SPECS average speed cameras which they do look similar to (but note the circled emblem in the corner of the pole arm).

Those face the oncoming traffic for all the ones I've seen (the newer SPECS3 cameras can face traffic moving away but I've yet to see these) and look like this:

1462269239_HxPf.jpg

I agree here - there are a couple of sets of those on the A52 near Derby, not sure if they're still there but they were originally put in whilst there were extensive civil works to put in a new footbridge. Those were definitely average cams and looked identical.

I've driven a fair bit in the USA and have to say, they do love a good old fashioned speed-trap over there, with an unmarked squad car sitting in the bushes on the central reservation of practically any type of road.

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for these then if they are not average cameras.

Yes I know the ones on the A52 very well..... now, :oops:. I am not from the area and hadnt been around that way for a few years but;
I recently had a scare since I came out from the slip road just after the First camera and accelerated to what I thought was the speed limit (what used to be the speed limit), Only to see the next repeater speed limit sign was way lower than I was going.. Instantly slowed to the speed limit but then noticed the next speed camera and thought bugger I made a mistake and now I will have to pay.....

But as it happens they were average cameras and the first camera hadn't clocked me. An innocent mistake and a lucky escape.

2_JS155335257.jpg
If there are 4 or 5 what look like shiny black boxes on another pole not far from them, then yes, speed camera. They also work both ways as my friend was caught..... For reference too, the camera van with the man sat in the back, that you think is checking the speed of the vehicles coming towards him. He also checks the speed of the car going away from the camera.....how do I know this......I got done for 36 in a 30 going in the opposite direction!! Fookers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom