new style mot certificate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghummy

Car
Mercedes Benz c220 (w203 2005)
hi people, sorry if this is in the wrong section

today i had my mot, i went to the garage that i have been using for the past 9 years. The car passed, this was expected as it is a mercedes after all.

but when he issued me the pass certificate, it was just printed on a normal plain a4 piece of a paper, when i asked him what was this supposed to be, he said that its the new style because its all electronical now and they dont give out the other style. (which i had from december 2010)

please can someone enlighten me, as ive never seen these and just wondering if the post office will recognise it come tax time next month

thanks

It is right. :thumb:

Where your vehicle is tested on or after the 16 October 2011 you will receive a new style of MOT certificate. This will be printed on plain paper in a landscape format instead of a pre-printed coloured form. Changes to the certificates are part of an ongoing drive to reduce costs and wastage.

Your MOT certificate : Directgov - Motoring

I don't like these new cert's myself, I've already heard of dodgey traders simply cutting out the advisory section, photo copying it, then they have an MOT with no advisories on :eek: (on paper anyway)

I wonder if they will start printing money the same way soon, to save even more money??

please can someone enlighten me, as ive never seen these and just wondering if the post office will recognise it come tax time next month.

I taxed my car at the Post Office last week with a new style MOT certificate with no problem.

Presumably this will make dodgy M.O.T. certificates even easier to print, or are they barcoded ?

What are you going to do with a dodgy M.O.T. certificate?

Presenting it in a Post Office to get your road tax opens up a list of crimes committed, same as if stopped by the police. Do you think they will not check the details then or later if in the Post Office.

The crime of not having a current M.O.T. certificate then has deception and fraud at least added.

I take it the MOT are all on a central database that the DVLA police and possibly insurance companies have access to.

What are you going to do with a dodgy M.O.T. certificate?

Presenting it in a Post Office to get your road tax opens up a list of crimes committed, same as if stopped by the police. Do you think they will not check the details then or later if in the Post Office.

The crime of not having a current M.O.T. certificate then has deception and fraud at least added.

I sincerely hope that i never land up with a dodgy M.O.T. but i do find it rather disturbing that the Delboys out there might find it easier to move old bangers to the unsuspecting.

The principle of Caveat Emptor applies. By making the certificates look less official I think they've done the right thing. The more official paperwork looks, the more people trust it

Buyers should check the MOT online, check the VIN numbers in all locations, HPI the car and exercise due diligence before buying

Nick Froome

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. I can put my mind at rest now

Folk place too much faith in a long mot, just means that on the day of testing the car met the grade, too many think that the cars condition lasts as long as the ticket does.
Basically the new style tickets are a just a receipt of the test having been undertaken.

Folk place too much faith in a long mot, just means that on the day of testing the car met the grade, too many think that the cars condition lasts as long as the ticket does.
Basically the new style tickets are a just a receipt of the test having been undertaken.

Which at least shows that fairly recently the car was in roadworthy condition.:)

Not so - last year i took my car and van in for a mot on the same day

car failed on emissions only but drove perfectly and safely

van passed even though the driveshaft was completely $hagged and could not be driven over 20 MPH without fear of death

figure that :)

But thats MOT's for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom