New tax rebate scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibbo

Car
C180K Estate
Just a heads up all... there is a new scam going around where you may receive an email stating that you are due a tax rebate. Do not click on anything as it is a scam. Sadly it does look quite authentic and people are giving away their details along with credit card info :wallbash:

The dumb-asses forgot to attach the form to mine.

Below is an example of the email:

TAX RETURN FOR THE YEAR 2009
RECALCULATION OF YOUR TAX REFUND
HMRC 2008-2009
LOCAL OFFICE No. 3819
TAX CREDIT OFFICER: NEIL ROBINSON
TAX REFUND ID NUMBER: 381716209
REFUND AMOUNT: 327.54 GBP

Dear Applicant,

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and as applicable, copyright in these is reserved to HM Revenue & Customs.
Unless expressly authorised by us, any further dissemination or distribution of this email or its attachments is prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please reply to inform us that you have received this email in error and then delete it without retaining any copy.

I am sending this email to announce: After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 327.54 GBP

You have attached the tax return form with the TAX REFUND NUMBER ID: 381716209, complete the tax return form attached to this message.

After completing the form, please submit the form by clicking the SUBMIT button on form and allow us 5-9 business days in order to process it.

Our head office address can be found on our web site at <webaddress deleted>
Sincerely,
NEIL ROBINSON
HMRC Tax Credit Officer
<email deleted>
Preston
PR1 0

Dear Applicant,

This is the give away, isn't it? If I receive an email to 'me' but without my name on it, it gets deleted without being read.........

This is the give away, isn't it? If I receive an email to 'me' but without my name on it, it gets deleted without being read.........

Very true. And they seem to arrive in batches. People still seem to fall for it, it seems.

I had one.

The word 'fiscal' didn't look very HMRC and I don't recall giving them my email address.

Binned.

Report all such scams, spam, phishing, etc. to their source ISP's abuse address.

Reveal all the header codes in the message (procedure differs in different e-mailers) and it's usually the last ISP address (e.g. 147.128.123.159). Drop it into the WhoIs or Search box at one of these sites:

EUROPE -- Welcome to RIPE.NET
NORTH AMERICA -- https://www.arin.net/
ASIA/PACIFIC -- APNIC - Home
LATIN AMERICA -- Registration Services - Whois
AFRICA -- AfriNIC | African Internet Numbers Registry IP Addresses

If it's not in the first one you choose, it will usually redirect you.

I do this routinely and, blow me down, I sometimes receive thanks. Why bother? Why not?

P.S. All the banks have reporting channels for phishing scams, mostly e-mail; check out their sites.

The other day I won the $500,000 USD on the British National Lottery and the money will be sent to me by Western Union :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom