New Timing Belt After 30,000 Miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kebablover

Car
SLK200
Hi All. This is my first post after joining the forum. My wife bought an brand new SLK200 just over 4 years ago. It has been maintained by the dealer. Full service history etc. A couple of months ago (a month after the previous service), the car started making a peculiar noise when starting. Last week, my wife took the car into the dealer to try and identify the problem. She has been told it may be the timing belt that needs replacing at a cost of £2000! As the title of my post infers, the car has only done just over 30K miles. Can anyone offer any advice how I should deal with the matter? Regards

Btw, chain not belt...

Search 'M271 engine'... unfortunately your dealer may b right

What mileage have got on the car? If low speak to the dealer to see what MB UK can do in terms on contribution .

I would at the same time ask a good indy how much they charge for the same work. May need to find out what other ancillary are part of the job as well ?

Thanks guys. Is the SLK fitted with a timing chain rather than a timing belt? Regards

Timing gear and chain failure are indeed a known issue on the 1.8L M271 engines, BUT this usually happens towards the 100k miles mark.

When this occurs at significantly lower mileage it is usually the result of poor maintenance (exceeding service intervals or use of non-MB-approved engine oil).

In this case, since the mileage is indisputably verified and the car has full dealer history, you should ask the delaer to request MB to provide Goodwill contribution (or you could write to MB UK yourself).

Said that - it is normal for the top end on any OHC engine to rattle for a few seconds when cold i.e. until the oil pressure builds-up and delivers oil to the top of the engines. So get a second opinion if possible - because the M271 engine is prone to timing gear failure, it is not impossible that garages are too quick to diagnose any cam noise issues as failed timing gear.

I appreciate that this may not be possible though... because you should avoid driving the car while the timing gear is suspected..... so if it's with the dealer now, leave it there until the issue is either diagnosed or resolved.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Is the SLK fitted with a timing chain rather than a timing belt? Regards

The 200 is equipped with chain driven M271 engine.

Thank you Mark. Thats a very informative response. The car is currently with the dealer. They have given my wife a brand new replacement courtesy car. Would anyone like to suggest the level of contribution we should be asking MB for? I had an issue with a Renault a few years ago. The steering rack failed. I suspect that behind the scenes, the manufacturer provided the parts FOC and the dealer charged for the labour. The overall invoice was then discounted accordingly without disclosing the breakdown. Assuming we are offered a contribution, it makes more sense to stick with an authorised dealer rather than trying to get a (lower) price off an independent mechanic? Regards

I would expect Mercedes to fully cover the cost.

Of course my expectations may not be met.

Pro rata calculation ----- if the majority of failures occur say at around 100,000 miles for which MB might classify as wear and tear out of warranty and your car has done 30,000 then I would start negotiations by asking for 2/3 of the cost of the repair to be met by them. Depending on your relationship with the dealer my first approach would be to MB UK directly.

For what's it's worth... when my Vauxhall Omega suffered cam belt failure at 4 years old, the dealer refused to consider a warranty repair, but after a letter sent directly to Vauxhall UK they refunded me 75% of the overall cost as 'Goodwill gesture'.

What mileage have got on the car? If low speak to the dealer to see what MB UK can do in terms on contribution .

I would at the same time ask a good indy how much they charge for the same work. May need to find out what other ancillary are part of the job as well ?

Oops!!!! I should have read the title :fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom