New Titanium Exhaust getting installed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it wasn't purged it will have oxidized quite badly inside and wont last long
Would you care to elaborate on that. Are we looking at a week a month or maybe 6 months........what time frame would your expertise give it?

Done.......... Sounds perfect to me, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it in person as the garage sent me the clip at 8pm last night.
I will pop down for some breakfast in a wee while, then check out of the hotel, and go and pick up my car.
I've got a long drive in front of me from Bangkok to Phuket ~ 850 kilometres so will either love it or hate it by the time I get home................now let's go and make some f******g noise😁😁😁
Thanks for all the feedback
Neil

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Really hate to be a party pooper Neil, but that doesn't sound too good to me.
Close your eyes and it sounds like a BMW, which is pretty weak at the best of times.

But, as long as you like it who cares. Enjoy!:thumb:

I've not heard 1 stock but after following this thread and the amount of work involved I was expecting abit more but as said above if you like it that's all what matters 😉

I've not heard 1 stock but after following this thread and the amount of work involved I was expecting abit more but as said above if you like it that's all what matters 😉
Wait for the drive by. It really sounds great under load..........I love it

Just asking not trying to start any arguments...........
Would it not be better to use some form of pipe bender rather than all that welding?? would have made a smoother route through the inside of the exhaust for the gas to flow freely??

kc

Leaving the fluid dynamics aside for a minute, it should not matter for the gas to flow inside a segment welded tube or a bend - both are perfectly acceptable and widely used in motorsport.

"Segments" (or pie cuts as they are commonly referred to) are chopped off a straight section of pipe at a desired angle (e.g. 4.5 or 7.5 degrees from the centre line, 10 or 6 cuts form a 90 degree bend) and do not require any special equipment other than chopsaw or a vertical bandsaw. Which is why they are a popular choice for any small scale, custom or one-off work. Another advantage of pie cuts is due to the complete freedom of angle and width choice, they can be made to form some of the tightest of bends - something that requires an investment in the bend forming tooling to achieve the same results.

A mandrel bent pipe is the next one up from pie cuts but more often than not the choice of bend radii available to fabricators is not great, with tight 1D bends (when centreline radius equals pipes diameter) being the hardest to form without tearing the pipe (outer radius wall ends up doing a much bigger sweep than inner wall and stretches thinner). Bent sections are great for repeatability as they save a lot of time compared to the pie cut making. As mentioned above, SS bends are available off the shelf these days so long as you're not going crazy tight and have to wing it with the cuts!

Lastly, arguably the best of all are the CAD-designed and CNC bent [sections of the] exhaust that are formed out of a single straight piece of pipe using the mega expensive industrial benders (£300k+). Typically only the high end shops and OEM exhaust manufacturers will have that as the equipment and tooling costs are astronomical for your regular high street shop to justify.

In the real world though a combination of the above two gets you by. A good fabricator, worth their salt, will these days follow the correct welding procedures (prepping, cleaning, purging, passivating etc) and hand make it to the "OE" standards.

tl;dr: Nothing wrong with either. Read the god damn post above.

If the OP's exhaust has not been purge welded it will most likely fail , particularly in high stress areas.

If it wasn't purged it will have oxidized quite badly inside and wont last long

Why are we to assume that the exhaust has not been purged? One simply does not weld titanium unpurged. The desired finish for titanium welds is silver with light and dark straw acceptable as well. Do you see any different in the OP's pictures?

Wait for the drive by. It really sounds great under load..........I love it

And you should. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Maybe because they look unpurged. I welded like 20 years ago and got zero experience with Titanium so I am the last guy who should comment. But when I looked at it I thought the same but due to my lack of Titanium experience and given how old of a fart I am I shall stay out of it. Below is a reference I found using the magic of Google, which is probably why people think that way.

left purged.

F2A21D29-735F-4775-9DE8-9AAC99AEA013.jpeg

My son’s car (same as op)sounds awesome on it’s stock setup.

I find screaming louder obnoxious lol. What I would change my e63s with is a sound that has more grunt and pops. I mean maybe a bit louder but screaming loud like the goes of the YouTube likes of DDE or Stradman , nope. Needs to be like a bear growling at you when you take it’s food rather than a 2yr old screaming for sweets.

"Why are we to assume that the exhaust has not been purged? One simply does not weld titanium unpurged. The desired finish for titanium welds is silver with light and dark straw acceptable as well. Do you see any different in the OP's pictures?........."

We can just as easily assume that it has been purge welded, It's a shame the OP has no internal photos of the welds that would end this discussion. The OP is happy with it , thats all that really matters.

"Why are we to assume that the exhaust has not been purged? One simply does not weld titanium unpurged. The desired finish for titanium welds is silver with light and dark straw acceptable as well. Do you see any different in the OP's pictures?........."

The OP is happy with it , thats all that really matters.
Cheers mate

Done.......... Sounds perfect to me, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it in person as the garage sent me the clip at 8pm last night.
I will pop down for some breakfast in a wee while, then check out of the hotel, and go and pick up my car.
I've got a long drive in front of me from Bangkok to Phuket ~ 850 kilometres so will either love it or hate it by the time I get home................now let's go and make some f******g noise😁😁😁
Thanks for all the feedback
Neil

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Sounds great. I'm sure it sounds even better in person, I know my exhaust does

There are always people wanting to rain on your parade. Ignore them, as long as you like it, that is all that matters. Enjoy your drive home:thumb:

Thread 'Need some expert advice'
Need some expert advice | AMG Lounge
Keeping everything in one place.
Original exhaust back off and Titanium exhaust back on. On Friday I'm going to do a wee modification to how the exhaust fumes flow through the rear mufflers................once that's done it should improve the sound a lot, will continue to troubleshoot the loss of boost/limp mode and hopefully come up with a solution. Stay tuned I will update on Friday
Neil

Hopefully the last part of the puzzle.
Last modification is to completely bypass the rear mufflers and lock the bypass valve open. This will mean the exhaust is basically a straight open pipe south of the original down pipe ………..
2A323E4C-7BCC-4FA3-A700-67585499D049.jpeg

Closeting the bypass 3513C0DF-9396-434B-8308-4790FDBC4828.jpeg

Attachments

• AB3252BB-63BB-4FFD-B397-1BBAE72DF88B.jpeg
    AB3252BB-63BB-4FFD-B397-1BBAE72DF88B.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom