New to bigger Merc, just got 09 CL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mac911rs4

Car
CL500 Now, Previously....RS4 Avant, 911C2S, BMW735D, Audi A2, Cayenne S, 911 turbo, 911s, Range Rove
Hi All,

Recently got rid of our RS4 and before that 911, needed something i could enjoy driving and fit the kids in the rear without complaining....(should leave them at home i know) !!

Anyway, purchased a lovely CL500 from a merc dealer in manchester, 09 plate, 40k on clock, one owner, immaculate and almost every box ticked...but here's my gripe's albeit minor.....

Calipers, look terrible through the 20" am alloys and bodykit, the car being black, red callipers would suit it perfect, amg, brembo, needs something..any pointers on been there seen it done it?.......

The sound...or lack of from the exhaust.....I'm no big racer as i'm approaching 50, but the amg variants sound sublime, is there anything that could be done that's not out of the ballpark cost wise, needs to be legal and i need to keep in warranty peramaters as it'll be renewed yearly, hope you guys may be able to assist, Many thanks, M

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 89
Noise........ah this is where the 63 engine come in:doh:
Seriously, you have a nice car there, congrats:thumb:

If you want to hear a bit more V8 burble, I would suggest opening the secondary cats, gutting the insides and rewelding them. This should not invalidate your warranty. Done expertly by a firm like Torqueflow in Birmingham, you would not regret it.
I had my cats removed by Imran at Torqueflow and the improvement in sound to my E55 was well worth it.
Home | Torqueflow Bespoke Performance Exhaust Systems in Birmingham, Midlands

As for the brake calipers, you can have them professionally repainted, with AMG decals for a reasonable sum. Have a search on the forum as I'm sure a few people have done this.

Thanks AMGeed, checked the website, nice sounds coming from the 55's, shame it's miles away from kent as i'd have liked to have popped in for a chat.....worth considering for the future though if there isn;t anyone south east based...

Calipers, the painting still doesn;t do it justice, they just seem to small for a car of this size, quick fix as you say, paint, i was thinking if large callipers up front were more achievable?....i see pound signs..i know.... cheers, M

Lovely car,
I know what you mean on the calipers, they do look terrible, I'll wait and see your fix, see if its suitable for mine.

On the exhaust note, remember the car is double glazed and well soundproofed so whatever you do may not make much difference inside.
Try simply opening a window first before making any exhaust changes.

Inside i'm happy with it's soundproofing, it's upon start up and mild acceleration it loses its 'sound', any tie you hearing a low gurgling sound, you can almost be sure it's an AMG, maybe i'm being overfussy, as when in sport mode, you do hear a slightly more recognised sound. Brakes though?....what on earth were they thinking with callipers so small? they border in ridiculous, i'll keep searching for either AMG or Brembo 'larger callipers'....

Get another person to drive the car (floor it away from you) and I bet you will be happy with the exhaust.

I thought mine was tame from the drivers seat until I heard it from outside.

Great looking car :D

Regarding the exhaust - you can just remove the pre-cats, which was suggested to me by MB Tech in Warrington. It's not far from Manchester, and it won't fail MOT. I guess probably around 3/4 hours of labour to do?

Are you sure you want to renew the warranty yearly? It doesn't seem very cost effective to me...

thanks killerhertz,
not too bad an idea as i'd purchased the car without seeing it or driving it, so i'll get the wife to do a 'driveby' !!! Think i could get away with that in Gravesend !!!
cheers
M

wywy.....

I always have my cars under warranty as i know the repair bills could be immense. For example, the cayenne we had from new, had two new panoramic roofs as they kept cracking, £4k each...under warranty, gearbox issue at 422k miles, would have cost £8k, I'll stop there with claims i've had with several cars, i could go on forever, so much so, the CL i originally brought from Merc up north, was being prepped before delivery, they found the ABC was faulty and would cost £8k to fix, so they refused to sell it and sent it to auction.....

Now, for me, this car with one owner costing him £106k, putting 40k on the clock with full history, my being in twenties.....there's gonna be a bill coming up at some stage with all the gadgetry, got one year warranty with the car, £1600 for peace of mind each year....i've gotta do it, and good for resale too, if i ever let it go.....

£1600 a year? That's not too bad then.

I got quotes of £2500 for my S, but then mine is higher mileage.

£1600 for a warranty :eek:

That's more than I paid for my 500SEL , and I got five years trouble free use out of it :D

wywy.....
when i enquired about the car through merc warranties, they quoted £2500 per year, when i mentioned it was being brought from a dealer, price went to 1600 per year, guess it's just there way of covering the unknown previous of the car, 2500, that would be a no way from me, only paid £1100 for my 911's in the past....

pontoneer, your one very lucky man, where as i've been the opposite, hence paying for warranties, but admit, i'm fussy with cars, if there's a rattle, squeak or knock, it's gotta be sorted....

when i had the RS4 and went on the forums re a whinging steering lock, all came back and said...it's an inherent fault, they all suffer from it.....i took it back to Audi and told them to rectify the 'design fault' that everyone knew about...they did under warranty, would have lost £580 i think.....still, carry on being lucky....i'm envious....

Jules, interesting, sounds perfect, just about right, many thanks....

just realised too Killerhertz....yours is and AMG !!! your gonna have the right sound to start with.......

Ace, thanks David, sods law, purchased from Merc up in manchester, wished i'd enquired before it was delivered......

No probs...they are ex MB Roadrange techs and have everything the 'stealer' can do, including tea and coffee lol, they are just off m62 Warrington turn off pal...they also have courtesy cars:D

PS. Welcome to the forum...:thumb:

Ace, thanks David, sods law, purchased from Merc up in manchester, wished i'd enquired before it was delivered......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom