New to electric vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP - do not feel bad, all cars tend to have a fall off in MPG during cold spells eg "my" diesel MB drops from approx 48 to 38MPG between summer and severe winter..........depending on man-maths this is either approx 20 or 25%. Of course this car has had the MB NOx "voodo fix" prior to which it was consistently 45-53MPG.

Appreciate you posting - because will return to the "darkside" from 2025 onwards. It never crossed my mind that EVs would exhibit such notable range reduction in cold weather.

The range on my EV (non-Merc) has only slightly dropped when the temp reached 5⁰, though I obviously can't tell if the predicted range is a real life figure.

My EV does have a heat pump, however, so I suppose this might help.

The EQC was first introduced in 2019, so possibly early EV tech for MB.

Would be nice to have the EQC heating system confirmed, looks like it does not have a heat pump unlike EQA, EQS and EQB?

I'd also like to see efficiency figures for the heat pump. The PTC heater is pretty simple, one kW in from the battery, almost one kW of heating power out. I've heard the heat pumps on EVs are not equally efficient as pumps used to heat houses. Should still consume a lot less battery than the PTC heater.

My neighbour complains that his VW ID3 heat pump consumes more power than expected but it is quite a vague statement.

Hi all, firstly love the forum however since this colder weather has hit the range on my eqc has plummeted! 224 miles to 133 miles.

I understand that in the winter/colder temperatures the range would drop however by nearly half?

I still have range anxiety despite owning the car for 4 months but the new range estimate is rather worrying and I’m worried I’ve made the wrong decision.

any thoughts?
Welcome along 😎
I’d be worried too. Planning a safe journey for me entails filling the tank with diesel. 🤔

its a N293 for those interested in such things

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

From what I read, and typical heat pump will use 1kW to 'produce' 3 kW, so a net gain of 2kW. In my case (non-Merc EV), 2kW translate to around 8-10 miles. So not a massive difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom