New to Forum - Just picked up my 500 SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats a lot of knowledge right there! Really appreciate it, I don't mind trying a few things myself but wouldn't mind if there was someone local to West London who could have a look, maybe let us know if you can recommend anyone. The car currently has like the stepped style fog lights.

I've lived in the U.S now for 20 years so I'm not much use for recommendations. I do have about 4 cars worth of parts on my shelves so of you don't find anyone locally to fix yours, feel free to message me and I'll dig around for parts.

In 1990 I moved up to the East Midlands and started working for a guy who ran a dozen or so Budget rent a car franchises. I remember vividly him arriving at work one morning in his brand new 560 SEC and having paid £62k for it. 😳😳
Bear in mind I’d recently paid £39500 for my two year old, 3-Bed detatched house.

Thats a lot of knowledge right there! Really appreciate it, I don't mind trying a few things myself but wouldn't mind if there was someone local to West London who could have a look, maybe let us know if you can recommend anyone. The car currently has like the stepped style fog lights.
Wayne Gates in Harrow is generally accepted to be the best. I use MercServices in Morden who may be good as the owner was trained in MB main dealers in the 80s.

Sarb, I’ll keep an eye out for you 🙂 - nearby in Ruislip 👍

TM Motors West Molesey KT8 2QH 0208 941 4044 Speak to anton.

Highly recommended. Especially for the SEC :thumb:

That brings back some memories. It was the "Daddy" of the Mercs back in the day, and still looks good.
I agree with the wheel suggestion - classic AMG 3 piece will look perfect. Not keen on the busy cross spokes.
Enjoy!

I'll take a stab

Cruise control actuator is a common fail item, it's electronic. You can try taking it apart and reordering any cracked joins or finding a good used one

Did you swap the other switch over to the passenger window? They get dirty and can become sticky. Aftermarket ones are cheap but replace all four because the new ones will look brighter than the old ones when the lights are turned on

What kind of shape are the reflectors?

Take the door apart and check, the line is probably disconnected on one side or another. A smoke test is the best way to find the break

There's a monovalve (or duovalve if manual climate control) between the firewall and the fake firewall on the passenger side. The diaphragm can fail which can cause all kinds of problems with the hvac system. You can get a repair kit but the quality is usually bad aftermarket and does not last. Some people have had success making a new diaphragm from an inner tube which I suspect will last forever.
A little up date so far:

Passenger Electric window: This was initially working however now stopped, it turned out to be the actual motor itself which was completely gone. Managed to order one of a place called MercMan, tested the new motor he sent which was working fine and took out the old motor by taking out 3 bolts which were very simple to get to, got someone to help to hold the window up whilst I put the new motor in and all is working perfect. Re Greased all moving components and have also ordered 4 new switches as the current ones are very dull and slightly sticky.

Vacuum line for passenger door: After fixing the motor for the window I traced the Yellow vacuum line through eh door entry near the hinges and managed to find someone had simply cut the vacuum line going to the lock and melted it shut, it was simply because a small part of the lock had slip out and rather than repairing this they turned of the vacuum supply to the door completely (very odd). Have since got a straight joint for the vacuum, put the lines back together and all works perfect too.

Other than this I have also had the chance to meet George Fraser in Uxbridge who was extremely easy going and helpful and in fact checked a few things for me whilst I was there just out of his own good attitude, he didn't even know about forums recommending him but was very pleased, I also met up with Chaz from the SEC shop in Kent who sourced me the rear window metal plate as mine was slightly rusted and as I had taken the window out its better to get it all done properly.

Other than this I have also added an insurance approved remote alarm to the car which was done by a guy called Shervin who was also brilliant, these older locks on the doors are slightly more stiff and so he added a powerful motor to the drivers door which help lock the car quicker now.

I have also added an insurance approved remote alarm to the car which was done by a guy called Shervin who was also brilliant, these older locks on the doors are slightly more stiff and so he added a powerful motor to the drivers door which help lock the car quicker now.

The vacuum pump on these cars is electronically actuated and lives in the spare wheel well. The simplest way to wire a remote is to wire it to the pump in the boot by the spare wheel. Seems like it's coming along nicely. It's a good thing that it wasn't the regulator. They cost an arm and leg.

Beautiful car, one of my favourites ,welcome to the forum, the guys on here have been a great help to me over the years,great bunch.

An update on the rear window rust, I managed to pick up a SEC plate from Chaz down Sevenoaks at a very reasonable price, have since used my long time Welder to get the new plate in, sanded down and painted in its factory colour as well as the actual shelf after it was rust protected. Had a new glass put in too which apparently was the last rear glass left at Mercedes Benz of Poole which was £950 alone including the new rubber seals.

All together the rear repair has cost around £1850 which includes the metal part, the welding and spray work as well as the actual glass and installation of the glass, I've attached a few pictures of the work.

Attachments

• IMG_6219.jpg
    IMG_6219.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6486.jpg
    IMG_6486.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6506.jpg
    IMG_6506.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 23
Nice job. The Pioneer shelf speakers are just as nostalgic as your prized SEC ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom