New to MB after 20yrs of Jags: tappy V6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markspt

Car
CLS 350CDI
Hi,
I know that this topic has been kicked to death but I’ve just bought a 14 plate CLS 350 CDi and after several Jags with a V6 diesel the noise of the engine is driving me nuts. It’s definitely injectors and an Indie and MB have told me they all sound like that but surely not. Can anyone offer an improvement suggestion as otherwise it’s back to Jag.

Assuming they were ticking when you inspected it, begs the question why did you buy it if you don't like the ticking.

Ironically I found my recent Jaguar V6 a bit tappy.
My previous BMW straight sixes were near silent.

Assuming they were ticking when you inspected it, begs the question why did you buy it if you don't like the ticking.
I bought the car from a main dealer and because of their COVID rules I wasn’t allowed a test drive. I’ve obviously had the vehicle checked and spoken to their head technician who assured me that everything is normal and I accept that you can’t hear anything from inside the car. However my point is that it’s an engineering faux pas from Mercedes as Jags engineering can be flaky at best but their engines don’t sound like sewing machines when the window is down. It’s not just the engine noise but the handling is poor considering the hard ride and the tyre roar is unacceptable (my XKRS has more rubber and goes round corners properly but is far more comfortable and much, much quieter).
I know an MB forum is mainly an MB advocate society but in my opinion the car isn’t what I expected as a run-around and I’ve already given it to my son as I really didn’t like the car, just as most people on this site probably really don’t like Jags. Each to their own.

I bought the car from a main dealer and because of their COVID rules I wasn’t allowed a test drive. I’ve obviously had the vehicle checked and spoken to their head technician who assured me that everything is normal and I accept that you can’t hear anything from inside the car. However my point is that it’s an engineering faux pas from Mercedes as Jags engineering can be flaky at best but their engines don’t sound like sewing machines when the window is down. It’s not just the engine noise but the handling is poor considering the hard ride and the tyre roar is unacceptable (my XKRS has more rubber and goes round corners properly but is far more comfortable and much, much quieter).
I know an MB forum is mainly an MB advocate society but in my opinion the car isn’t what I expected as a run-around and I’ve already given it to my son as I really didn’t like the car, just as most people on this site probably really don’t like Jags. Each to their own.
I’ve always quite liked Jaguar whenever I’ve driven them, but I’ve never owned one. Most comments against them on here seem to more about reliability issues than anything else.

My advise would be to test another CLS with the same engine and year and compare the sound level with yours. If it sounds better than yours, go through warranty route and demand yours to be fixed and the sound brought to the satisfactory level.

. It’s not just the engine noise but the handling is poor considering the hard ride and the tyre roar is unacceptable (my XKRS has more rubber and goes round corners properly but is far more comfortable and much, much quieter).
In truth you've highlighted there what Jaguar fabled for and no one else (MB included) can rival - with Lotus being the sole exception. Not entirely fair to compare a sportscar with a saloon and find the saloon lacking handling finesse but it should compensate by going down the road more smoothly, but again, Jaguar do this better.

As for the engine noise I can't deduce whether it is mechanical noise from the injectors you are objecting to or combustion noise you suspect being due to faulty injectors - or merely combustion noise that diesels are renowned for. No diesel will be as civilised as the petrol engine in your previous XK. Comparing the two engines isn't really valid.

In truth you've highlighted there what Jaguar fabled for and no one else (MB included) can rival - with Lotus being the sole exception. Not entirely fair to compare a sportscar with a saloon and find the saloon lacking handling finesse but it should compensate by going down the road more smoothly, but again, Jaguar do this better.

As for the engine noise I can't deduce whether it is mechanical noise from the injectors you are objecting to or combustion noise you suspect being due to faulty injectors - or merely combustion noise that diesels are renowned for. No diesel will be as civilised as the petrol engine in your previous XK. Comparing the two engines isn't really valid.
Good points overall but the OP in his words mentioned

"I’ve just bought a 14 plate CLS 350 CDi and after several Jags with a V6 diesel the noise of the engine is driving me nuts"

He didn't mention the XKRS until the second post regarding handling to which your point clearly stands. 👍

Good points overall but the OP in his words mentioned

"I’ve just bought a 14 plate CLS 350 CDi and after several Jags with a V6 diesel the noise of the engine is driving me nuts"

👍
Fair point.
Still unsure if it is injector or combustion noise that is the issue though - but interested to know which (perverse curiosity!).

Fair point.
Still unsure if it is injector or combustion noise that is the issue though - but interested to know which (perverse curiosity!).
My OM642 isn't the quietest when cold but once warm it isn't noisy nor does it make excessive ticking noises but I do run an injector cleaner through twice a year.

Fair point.
I was wondering whether it had Piezo or solenoid injectors… (just curious too).

My 2007 W211 was also also quiet when warm, could hardly tell it was a diesel, and wasn’t overly loud when cold. This is why I went for the W213 V6.

Post a video/audio clip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom