New to MB Please excuse my ignorance.

Is this model a good starter car for my 1st MB

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wendymay

Hi, i'm new to MB (well will be on tue when i get my 1st merc)
I am so excited that i can hardly breath:D
I am getting a c200k elegance estate (need for the dog)
its a 52 plate with 40k on it, same guy had it from new, I bought it through local MB dealer and he has been doing warranty work to rear arches (looked ok to me but hey if he wants to do it who am i to argue) he's probably done it to earn himself cash plus my son works as an apprentice hgv mechnic for him in his truck centre, though i've had to wait an extra 2 weeks to get it.

Any way the reason i'm confused is i was looking for several items to personalise my new car, ie mats etc... but i keep coming up against different codes ie w202, 203 etc etc...
What number is mine? or is it just a C class.
Great site by the way, i shall post some pics of my shiny new car if anybody will be interested.
Wendy

Hi.

A list is given at the bottom of this page...open up the 'car timeline' tab

Yours is a W203

BTW consider maintaining the full MB service history, so that when the rust reappears MB will fix it again free of charge

Last edited:
Personally I'd have tried to go for a newer face lifted w203 due to galvanisation and other improvements to the car, and probably a diesel engined one too.

Still, its a prudent move buying it from the dealer, as wemorgan has said to keep the rust repairs FOC dealer servicing may be the way to go, especially as the milliage is so low for a 7yr old car.

In saying that double check when the rust warranty ends, as even an MB service history won't matter then. I think its 8yrs when it ends and you are on your own with it, then an independant garage may be a better choice for servicing. Also at 40k its bang on due for its ATF to be changed, have the dealer do this for you too if it has not already been done.

Good luck with your new car.

Bring it up to Stirling on July the 25th, let us see it in the ...flesh( whats the automotive equivelent? Metal?).

Thanks folks for the comments, i will check with the dealer on ATF, hoping my son or somes boys in the merc garage where he works can service it, having driven an astra for years i'm really looking forward to my new car.
Hubby bought me it for stopping smoking, so lucky me!! just got to keep it up now.
P.S on hols on the 25th but will look forward to some pics from you, have a good day.

I am sure it will be great, I have voted with the No's only on the basis I have become used to at least 6 cylinders with automatic transmission over the years and as a high mileage driver find this very important.
Many people talk about rust in their MBs I dont have any and have never had a problem with previous E class and my wifes CLK convertible

No SUV !

:thumb: Estate Wagon is the way to go!!!!

I have a 1999 E320 Estate Wagon and it's the best thing since sliced English Muffin, if you have to move a ton of stuff... like my daughter off to college and back, etc etc etc....

Just be sure to have the Tranny filter and fluid changed at 40,000 miles and every 40,000 miles interval thereafter.

Good Luck... :)

:thumb: Estate Wagon is the way to go!!!!

I have a 1999 E320 Estate Wagon and it's the best thing since sliced English Muffin, if you have to move a ton of stuff... like my daughter off to college and back, etc etc etc....

Just be sure to have the Tranny filter and fluid changed at 40,000 miles and every 40,000 miles interval thereafter.

Good Luck... :)

Hi,

Over here we say Estate. And it's "since sliced bread "... oh you colonials.

Hahaha!!! Sorry, I've only visited London so far but one day I will get a little further North and learn the culture....

In some places if you say "Wagon", they think you're talking about an SUV, so you are correcto... Estate is the proper name, but Wagon is also short form for Stationwagon which was once a very popular mode of transportation with our parent generation here in colonial Amerika!

I still like the Estate better than the SUV for the style, handling, comfort, and volume capacity. Also I never drive off road so don't need the high clearance between the ground and door sill. The SUV is more popular here in the States whereas I think the Estate is more popular in Europe?

AND if you have a family... the Estate is much more practical as an all around means of transportation.

:)

Hahaha!!! Sorry, I've only visited London so far but one day I will get a little further North and learn the culture....

In some places if you say "Wagon", they think you're talking about an SUV, so you are correcto... Estate is the proper name, but Wagon is also short form for Stationwagon which was once a very popular mode of transportation with our parent generation here in colonial Amerika!

I still like the Estate better than the SUV for the style, handling, comfort, and volume capacity. Also I never drive off road so don't need the high clearance between the ground and door sill. The SUV is more popular here in the States whereas I think the Estate is more popular in Europe?

AND if you have a family... the Estate is much more practical as an all around means of transportation.

:)
:) I meant over this side of the Atlantic not this side of the Irish Sea:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom