(New to me) C140

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmwsccsh

Car
1998 CL420, 1994 Ford Mustang Convertible
Morning all,

I have posted similar elsewhere, but for those who haven't seen, here is my new-to-me CL420. Have been looking and thinking for a few months and now finally took the plunge.

01.jpg

06.jpg

10.jpg

I have a few things to look at already - there's a leak on the passenger side at the front coming from the top of the A pillar area (which I am hoping is a blocked sunroof drain), the interior lights seem to have a mind of their own and don't always come on or operate from the switches and the rear parking interior radar thingy (no idea what it's called yet!) only works on one side.

At least that's all I've found so far! I picked her up on Saturday and not had the time yet to properly go through everything.

Oh and going to replace the radio with a period-correct CD unit instead. Strangely no CD changer in the boot but I don't mind only having a single-slot CD in the front - easier in some ways.

MOT was fresh on Friday, clear and has been for a few years (apart from tyres a couple of years ago) which is good and she's only done 78,000 miles. Leak is the priority as that is annoying in the rain we are having at the moment and I don't know what other damage it could be doing. The previous owner kept it in a barn with others so probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Drive is amazing - looking forward to many more miles in her soon.

TMW

Looks great, as above interior looks well looked after.

Ref the leak, worth checking the windscreen seal and side window rubbers.

Looks great, as above interior looks well looked after.

Ref the leak, worth checking the windscreen seal and side window rubbers.

Cheers - side window rubbers look Ok. Windscreen from what I can tell looks good but will have a better lookie later...

Interior has indeed faired well - tiny scuffing on the drivers seat as you get in and out but that's about it.

TMW

Reactions: MeQ
Magnificent. Great colour combo, and fabulous to have found one with just 80k on it. Will be good for 250+k miles, if you can be bothered.

We have a couple of these at my golf club and they always impress.

Would have had a couple myself - loved the ride quality - but the whining from the passenger seat ruled it out.

Sounds like easy fettling. Let's hope that there's no rust hiding in that drain.

CD's? What's a "CD?" Shouldn't the priority be discreet bluetooth phone / SIRI / music streaming?

What was the history? A long time with one specific owner?

Magnificent. Great colour combo, and fabulous to have found one with just 80k on it. Will be good for 250+k miles, if you can be bothered.

We have a couple of these at my golf club and they always impress.

Would have had a couple myself - loved the ride quality - but the whining from the passenger seat ruled it out.

Sounds like easy fettling. Let's hope that there's no rust hiding in that drain.

CD's? What's a "CD?" Shouldn't the priority be discreet bluetooth phone / SIRI / music streaming?

What was the history? A long time with one specific owner?
Thanks Mike.

The ride quality is incredible.

CD's - you know, round plastic disk things that have music or games or films on. Although I work in IT I don't go for "modern" tech at all - no interest in streaming music and such like so just keep it simple.

Rain has just started again so I predict more water coming in - good thought from MeQ on the windscreen seal though - I hadn't thought of that. If it was a drain I would have thought it would come in from a different area so Windscreen seal is well a good option.

Recent history the car has been with a collector - it's been kept in a barn with others he has (I saw the collection!) but he's selling off the more "modern" stuff and only keeping the 70s and 80s stuff. Not sure before that, but the MOT history online shows not many miles covered in recent years. Soon put an end to that!

TMW

Thanks Mike.

CD's - you know, round plastic disk things that have music or games or films on. Although I work in IT I don't go for "modern" tech at all - no interest in streaming music and such like so just keep it simple.

Rain has just started again so I predict more water coming in - good thought from MeQ on the windscreen seal though - I hadn't thought of that. If it was a drain I would have thought it would come in from a different area so Windscreen seal is well a good option.

Recent history the car has been with a collector - it's been kept in a barn with others he has (I saw the collection!) but he's selling off the more "modern" stuff and only keeping the 70s and 80s stuff. Not sure before that, but the MOT history online shows not many miles covered in recent years. Soon put an end to that!

TMW
Water ingress may also be the cause of your interior light electrickery

Thanks Mike.

Not even an interest in streaming your phone or a Sat Nav?

CD's? Were those the things with a little dog called "Nipper," sat next to them?

Not even an interest in streaming your phone or a Sat Nav?

CD's? Were those the things with a little dog called "Nipper," sat next to them?
No not at all - don't stream anything or subscribe to services like that. Sat Nav I can just use the phone for so not concerned there either.

Ha! Not quite re CDs - I have got a small plush of Nipper somewhere - used to sit next to the speakers on my PC...

TMW

My wife has a Clio with a leaking sunroof - IIRC it was either because the cassette had loosened off or it was because the seals were failing.

Anyway, same point; it affected the interior light.
Leaky sunroofs are a traditional luxury car problem. We specify these expensive things but never open them. When finally it gets opened again, something's stiff or gets pushed out of place.

Start off by looking at the mechanism carefully when it opens and closes. You might well find some bit of trim has moved, or that something needs securing back into place. Even the process of opening and closing the roof a few times might resolve a temporary fault in the set up.

Leaky sunroofs are a traditional luxury car problem. We specify these expensive things but never open them. When finally it gets opened again, something's stiff or gets pushed out of place.

Start off by looking at the mechanism carefully when it opens and closes. You might well find some bit of trim has moved, or that something needs securing back into place. Even the process of opening and closing the roof a few times might resolve a temporary fault in the set up.
That's part of Saturday's plans. I've also ordered a drain cleaning brush thing (small brush on long wire) to help with the process - assuming I can get to the drain hole...

Check out my post in the interior section of the forum - have put up some photos of the wet areas for clarification.

Edit - just realised you have :)

TMW

That's part of Saturday's plans. I've also ordered a drain cleaning brush thing (small brush on long wire) to help with the process - assuming I can get to the drain hole...
Check out my post in the interior section of the forum - have put up some photos of the wet areas for clarification.
Understand the concern about the drain - which can be soon tested - but personally, I'd put more money on a tired / faulty seal in the sunroof or windscreen

Understand the concern about the drain - which can be soon tested - but personally, I'd put more money on a tired / faulty seal in the sunroof or windscreen
I spoke to a windscreen place today and sent them some photos - they reckon all looks good on that front - sunroof I reckon is the most likely culprit but we shall see...

At least it's not meant to rain for the next few days

TMW

I really want one of these. I recently bought an W140 500SEL (4 door) as an engine donor for my 500E and now I want the coupe, with a V12 if possible :)

I really want one of these. I recently bought an W140 500SEL (4 door) as an engine donor for my 500E and now I want the coupe, with a V12 if possible :)
I am going to use it as a daily driver so couldn't justify the V12 from a petrol cost perspective.

I did think about the 500 and did find one I was interested in but the condition and mileage of this one swayed me.

TMW

I am going to use it as a daily driver so couldn't justify the V12 from a petrol cost perspective.

I did think about the 500 and did find one I was interested in but the condition and mileage of this one swayed me.

TMW

Fortunately, in Texas, the fuel costs (not running costs) don't make much of a difference between the V8 and the V12. I have the younger twin turbo sibling with the 604hp

1708641018667.png

Sorry; should have said HAD. The reason I can't remember is that it was a few years ago. There is or was a bloke trading as the London Sunroof Company and he'd sort whatever the problem was quickly and at a reasonable cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom