New to me cls63 w219

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Csdrcallum

Car
Cls 63 amg
Hi all, yesterday I picked up a cls 63 amg.

I have to say the engine is a belter but there are a few things I have picked up on and wondered if someone could help me.

1. The ride is a little 'choppy' not nice firm, more like a car that's been made convertible but not designed to be!! I feel like the chassis is very stiff and the wheel and tyre combo twitch a little over poor road surfaces. It may be down to tracking also. But does anyone else notice this?

2. Is there a way to connect my android phone/media player to the phone jack or bluetooth and play though the car?

3. My centre console cubby gets very hot??

4.The car rolls back on hills, is this normal? I would have thought if this was the case for the gearbox it would have hill start features.

The car is a 2008 cls 63 amg. Thanks for your help

1 Check tyre pressures, nice car congrats.

3. Sounds like the duo value is faulty. It will make the rear vents on the centre console shoot out hot air (even though you have set cold).

3. Sounds like the duo value is faulty. It will make the rear vents on the centre console shoot out hot air (even though you have set cold).
Had not realised the rear heaters were on full hot!! Seems to have made the difference to the temperature of the console.

1. Doesn’t sound right. Might be something wrong with the suspension control module

1. Doesn’t sound right. Might be something wrong with the suspension control module

I think it's just the runflat tyres! I'll stick some pilot sport 4's on the front. Reminds me of when I drove a 5 series bmw with run flats. Horrible over uneven surfaces.

Hi and welcome,

What’s the mileage/service history like, any indication of suspension work etc.

You do realise your car has airmatic suspension, with different suspension modes etc? :thumb:

It's done 64k full main dealer service history. Had just been mot'd and new lower ball joints. Suspension raises and lowers fine and I feel it firm up when buttons are pressed. I'm used to lexus and 7 series. I expect it is the runflat tyres. They just crash a bit and jolt over unever roads where a higher profile tyre or non Rf's are more compliant.

I'd suspect the run flat tyres too.
Horrible things that have no place on a Mercedes.
I'd rather have a tin of gunk and an inflator or a spare wheel in case of punctures.

I have the collapsible spare anyway so I think I'll ditch the run flats starting with the fronts for some ps4's

It's done 64k full main dealer service history. Had just been mot'd and new lower ball joints. Suspension raises and lowers fine and I feel it firm up when buttons are pressed. I'm used to lexus and 7 series. I expect it is the runflat tyres. They just crash a bit and jolt over unever roads where a higher profile tyre or non Rf's are more compliant.

Okay that sounds pretty normal. Sometimes people replace the air suspension parts with aftermarket items - which is okay, but apparently they can ride a bit differently. My old black E55K had Arnott replacements front and rear and felt a bit more floaty than my previous one but it had around 150k on it too.

Worth checking stuff like the forwardmost subframe bushes on the rear if they’re anything like the 211, they can be in quite a poor state without being spotted and made a pretty noticeable difference to the feel of the car.

But yes, definitely start with the tyres and tyre pressures, although to be fair an CLS in AMG guise is unlikely to ride like a 7-series or Lexus! :)

If you can install Michelin Pilot Supersport Tyres or MPS4S if available. These tyres transform the car and are way better than the Eagle F1s I used to run. I had my full geo setup by Center Gravity at 55k miles and it still drives beautifully at 91k miles. Centre console issue sounds strange - mine is always cold and the cubby hole is chilled so I can put drinks in there, but I use it for sunglasses which are always super cold when I put them on!

4. Neither of my E55k or current E63 6.2. 7 speed mct gear box roll back when in D on a hill. How much roll are you noticing. I take it you are in a forward gear option. Have you noticed it in all the forward gear box option settings.

Has the car had its transmission serviced.

If you are in the C option which starts off in 2nd gear if could be that if the inclin is quite steep. Try this in the S setting as this reverts to 1st gear starts. You might find the car is more eager to pull away. Less delayed in delivery.

Might be worth having a good inspection of your tyres to see what the wear is like. If the car is suffering a poor alignment set up. This can cause bad ride quality. But with experience run flat tyres are not the best for comfort I have found. If tyres are all wearing quite well. Then it definitely points to the run flats.

If you do get the wheels off then I suggest a quick check on the calliper bleed nipples, they are prone to seizing up, the callipers are huge and expensive to replace

Hi all, yesterday I picked up a cls 63 amg.

I have to say the engine is a belter but there are a few things I have picked up on and wondered if someone could help me.

1. The ride is a little 'choppy' not nice firm, more like a car that's been made convertible but not designed to be!! I feel like the chassis is very stiff and the wheel and tyre combo twitch a little over poor road surfaces. It may be down to tracking also. But does anyone else notice this?

2. Is there a way to connect my android phone/media player to the phone jack or bluetooth and play though the car?

3. My centre console cubby gets very hot??

4.The car rolls back on hills, is this normal? I would have thought if this was the case for the gearbox it would have hill start features.

The car is a 2008 cls 63 amg. Thanks for your help

I take it you purchased this one?

4. Neither of my E55k or current E63 6.2. 7 speed mct gear box roll back when in D on a hill. How much roll are you noticing. I take it you are in a forward gear option. Have you noticed it in all the forward gear box option settings.

Has the car had its transmission serviced.

If you are in the C option which starts off in 2nd gear if could be that if the inclin is quite steep. Try this in the S setting as this reverts to 1st gear starts. You might find the car is more eager to pull away. Less delayed in delivery.
Gearbox had a service a few months back. I've only tried it in comfort mode.

Might be worth having a good inspection of your tyres to see what the wear is like. If the car is suffering a poor alignment set up. This can cause bad ride quality. But with experience run flat tyres are not the best for comfort I have found. If tyres are all wearing quite well. Then it definitely points to the run flats.
Front n/s has a bit more excessive wear on the inside edge.ill get tracking checked asap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom